It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Fluid in Ears

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
    Fluid in Ears

went to dr yesterday after being lightheaded for about 2.5 weeks and suffering from a sinus/cold issue last week. Have pressure in my head, nose and roof of mouth. Main problem though is the lightheadedness.

He looked at me throroughly and saw fluid in my ears. That, he said, explains my feelings of dizziness and lightheadedness. PRescribed me Zyrtec (a decongestant and antihistimine) and Flonase to dry the fluid up in my ears and get me back to feeling normal again...also gave me a low dose of valium to help offset the dizziness (but that can backfire if you get teh side effect of dizziness from this drug!).

was wondering who else hear has had this fluid and did these meds work for you....get you all cleared up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User
    Re: Fluid in Ears

I was prescribed decongestants and they did nothing for me. I had a tube placed in my left ear two weeks ago, and that seems to be helping, altohugh not as much as I would like. But maybe its too early to tell, I dunno.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

did you have the same symptoms as i did?

lightheadedness and dizziness and was it with you all day or just off and on? today i'm doing really well...nothing so far! even though i slept horribly due to drainage and stuffed nose!

did the tube procedure hurt?

Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #4
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

Yes I had the same symptoms, although my doctor did not relate it to my ear problems. I have been left to my own devices on this and have received tons of help from these boards, so I just try and help others as I have been helped. I have narrowed this all down to eustachian tube problems and allergies. For the past year and a bit I have been suffering terrible vertigo, dizzyness, lightheadedness, "brain fog", and nausea, and no, not a constant 24/7 terrible, but everyday, some days worst than others. Some days I feel like it might be going away and I am going to get better, other days I cannot lift my head to get out of bed. Along with a progressive hearing loss - which is what tipped me off to the fluid. I have also had numerous throat and sinus infections ( at least two a month ).

My GP tried me on two different decongestants ( sorry I can't remember what they were - but I remember he told me they had an antihistamine and to not take my allergy medication ) and they did not help. Finally my ENT decided to insert a tube in my left ear as it was my worst ear. But this was after an audio/tympano test that showed the pressure in my ears was not right.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the insertion of the tube does not really hurt. Its like you're being poked with a hot poker with the injection of the local anesthetic, but that lasts a very short time - like 3 secs or so. And my ENT did it right in his office, took a total of maybe 10 minutes to do the precedure, nothing to it really. Afterwards it was like it was super plugged, but that lasted like two days or so. And although the tube seems to have helped a bit, it was not the end-all cure I was expecting. It still feels full, and my hearing still seems off, but I think two weeks may be too early to really tell, or thats what I'm hoping anywayz.

And tubes are not for everyone, just the road I took. From what I gathered from my ENT, tubes are kind of a last resort, if nothing else helps/works, which nothing did for me.

And as many, I'm still trying to combate these issues. Its an ongoing struggle. Just thought my experiences might help a little.

Last edited by Angela22F; 10-27-2005 at 06:00 AM.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
    boxgirl73
    Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

thanks....

sorry to hear that the tube didn't help you completely.

did you ever get an MRI or CATscan done? just to make sure there's nothing wrong with your neck, head or brain? did you ever have bloodwork done? i'd go back to a new Primary doc and have them hear your story....many people with your symptoms have had all these tests. that's what i'm going to suggest my dr have me do if this doesn't go away.

yesterday, btw, was a good day...so far today too....with only a slight 'off' feeling in the am. haven't slept a full night (don't know why) for a week and suprised i'm still able to function i typically need a full 9 hours!

hope you feel better soon!!!!

Old 10-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
    Angela22F
    Veteran
    (female)

Angela22F HB User

Thank-you, same goes to you. I hope you feel better soon, as this sucks lol
    But as I always say, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

I haven't had a cat scan or MRI done here as referrals from the doctors are few and far between and the waiting lists are like months and months long. I do have TMJ issues, as a result of a blow to the face a few years back I developed arthritis in the TMJ or so my GP says. And as many, it comes down to money as I am covered for the GP and ENT, I am not covered for an orthodontist (sp?) or dentist. So I haven't been able to address that issue, but soon will have no choice but to I guess

Last edited by Angela22F; 10-28-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Closed Thread