It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• My Stapedectomy report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
    Andy_01
    Inactive
    (male)

Andy_01 HB User
    My Stapedectomy report

As promised, I am here to report on the stapedectomy for my right ear.

I arrived at the Outpatient center at 5:30 AM on Thursday, Jan 4th 2007.
    Before surgery, I was brought to the OR prep area at 7:30 AM and was given an intraveneous "cocktail" to relax me.
    I was then wheeled into the OR and was out, without any memory or warning.
    I awoke in the recovery room.

The first few hours after the surgery were just terrible. I was so dizzy and nauseous that I threw up several times. I felt drugged and uncomfortable.
    None of the 4 aniti nauseal medications that were tried, seemed to do a thing for me. The room was spinning and there was nothing to be done except tough it out, pray a lot, and hope it went away soon.

If you were to ask me if I regretted having the operation done during that time, I would have told you YES!

After several hours, the nausea began to dissipate. Although, the slightest movement would cause severe dizzyness. There was some mild to moderate pain in my ear, and some ear ringing, but nothing untolerable as far as that goes.

Around 12 hours later, I felt much better and was able to drink some broth without feeling sick. I had to move very slowly to avoid dizzyness.

From my understanding, most people go home the same day, unless they have extreme problems. I thought I was one of those people, but as I said, I started to feel much better.
    When I spoke to the doctor that evening, he told me that my reaction - as far as throwing up - was typical, and as long as I was being discharged the same day, I am considered one of the "good" reactions.

Typical? I can't recall reading about severe nausea like what I experienced.

Anyhow, I was glad to go home, and now the next morning, I removed the bandages on my ear as directed, and replaced the cotton ball in my ear.

I can't hear anything in my right ear, so I am surprised that some have reported hearing so soon. Maybe some doctors don't pack the ear the same way, I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I feel much better. Hey, compared to how I felt after the operation, I'm on top of the world right now

I'll add more if there is anything new to report.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_01 For This Useful Post:
    Splatman (08-22-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User
    Exclamation Re: My Stapedectomy report

Hey Andy,

I'm just a couple weeks behind you. I'm having my stapedectomy on January 16th, 2007 and i'm scared: .

I have read hundreds of articles, posts, etc and all of them say that it takes anywhere from 2 weeks for 6 months for your hearing to stabilize after surgery and all the strange side effects to go away. Waiting this long for surgery (14 years) and then having to wait several more months after surgery to see if it helped or not is really going to be hard. But, I'm like most people who made the decision to go ahead with it because in my case, my hearing can ONLY improve.

I hope you are doing well and am really interested in hearing your progress. I'll keep ya posted on my progress also.

Last edited by CAB1; 01-11-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
    Andy_01
    Inactive
    (male)

Andy_01 HB User
    Re: My Stapedectomy report

Hi CAB,
    It's been 8 days and I have had mild pain that would come and go, along with frequent ear ringing. The first few days I felt no pain, and then suddenly it started.
    I was told this is normal to have it come and go like this.
    As far as dizzyness, If I don't move too quickly I'm fine, otherwise I feel slightly dizzy, but it doesn't last and is not too bad.
    I was driving short distances myself after about 4 days and I returned to work after 1 week.

I have started to hear some things. Like certain higher frequencies are starting to be picked up in my right ear, and they sound like a very high frequency version of what I hear in my left ear. So at these frequencies, it sounds like a strange stereo.
    Otherwise not much is coming through in the right ear.

I was very nervous before the surgery. Mostly at the idea of being put under.
    But it was so quick, I was told it took about 40 minutes.
    I am starting to feel very good about this and am looking forward to having the packing taken out in 3 weeks and ultimately to have my hearing back again

Please update me on your progress, and try not to worry. Keep reminding yourself "This is just a simple outpatient procedure, it's not a heart transplant".

Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi Andy,

I'm glad your recovery seems to be going well.

Up, around and driving on day 4, that is awesome!! And hearing anything at this point, even if it sounds like a strange stereo is great.

Are you having any trouble being back at work?

Was/is your sense of taste affected?

Short story for ya....

I was reading posts from several people and I found one that I thought you might relate to.

There was a man who had his stapedectomy. A few weeks later he was walking out of the doc's office onto a busy street. There were the sounds of the hustle and bustle of people and traffic. He said he heard it all loud and clear. He was waiting to cross the street and was standing beside a street vendor with a cart cooking hotdogs. He said he could HEAR the SIZZLE of the hot dogs cooking and that he just sat down on the curb and cried tears of joy at being able to hear something he's never heard before.

That man, whoever he was, is the one that gave me the courage to decide to have my ears done.

One day, I want to hear hotdogs sizzle and I hope you will be able to too.

Update to follow.

GL

Old 01-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
    Andy_01
    Inactive
    (male)

Andy_01 HB User

I had a slight metallic taste the first day or two, but barely noticeable.
    I was a little dizzy my first day back at work because I had to climb some stairs. I just had to slow down a little.

The sound of sizzling hotdogs huh? That's a wonderful story.
    The things that sound beautiful that are taken for granted, right?

I hope we both become success stories.
    I am eagar to read of your experience and progress to see if it is similar to mine.

You mentioned that you are having your "ears" done, so I assume you will be having one done at a time with many months between operations.

Andy

Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi Andy,

Yes, I'm having my left ear done on Tuesday and the right one sometime in June - if all goes well.

I'm glad to hear the metallic taste didn't last long for you. That is one of the things i'm really worried about. I'm such a picky eater I'm worried about loosing weight because food doesn't taste right - and I don't have any weight to loose!

Yes, there are a lot of sounds i've not heard in many many years like the sizzling hotdogs, clocks ticking, the icemaker on the fridge, my girls calling for mommy during the night, etc. that lots of people take for granted. I'm going to consider it a blessing if I get to hear those things again.

Do you remember how scared/nervous you were the first time you told someone you loved them? Well, my bf whispered it in my ear and I had to say "Huh"? Bless his heart, I made him say it twice, once in almost a yell just so I could hear what he was saying. Then I cried from the embarrasment of not hearing it and making him say it again. That type of awkward situation i'm sure not going to miss.

I'm supposed to be there Tuesday at 7am for the pre-op and then surgery sometime between 9 and noon. How i'm supposed to get up and across town by 7am WITHOUT any coffee to jump start me is a mystery.

I'll update you Wednesday.

Laters,

Last edited by CAB1; 02-13-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
    dwalt
    (male)

dwalt HB User

Andy and Cab:

I am 56 and had a stapedectomy done in my right ear on December 18th. I am now 4 weeks removed from the surgery. My hearing is improving although I had and still have tinnnitus. I am still using an antibiotic ear drop. My hearing test is Feb. 7th at Emory Hospital in Atlanta where I had the surgery.

Not eating or drinking the day of surgery was a problem since my surgery did not actually take place until almost 3 pm! After recovery, drinking a sprite and eating a few bites of a sandwich, I went home about 8:00 pm the evening of surgery. The ear was packed for about 10 days. It sure was great getting that packing out and starting to hear, even though it sounded like I was listening thru a tin can. Some sounds were uncomfortably loud. That has improved.

Sound is getting better. Hearing discrimination in my right ear is not good yet. Sounds such as amplified singing with instrumental background in a large auditorium seem "clangy" and to lack fidelity. I hope this improves.

Healing is still taking place but there is only slight discomfort/pain in that ear. The metallic taste lasted about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I kept eating to find something that tasted right so I probably gained some weight. I found sugar free breath mints tasted ok and relived that weird taste.

I am glad that I had the procedure and look forward to the hearing test and seeing where I stand.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
    Andy_01
    Inactive
    (male)

Andy_01 HB User

Hi Dwalt
    I'm starting to hear after 10 days.
    I placed a musical toy of my son's to my right ear and I could hear it.
    I started yelling to my wife "I can hear it! I can hear it!".

It sounded like a telephone quality sound, or "thru a tin can" as you say, but still, I could hear it so at least I know the pin still must be in place and working.
    I was concerned about this because I have allergies and have sneezed several times since the operation. I kept wondering if that last sneeze did some kind of damage. I was told, "just make sure you sneeze with your mouth open", and I did, but a few times I felt a little pressure in my ear.

I have almost constant ear ringing, but most of the time it's easy to ignore it.

Please let me know how the hearing test goes. You are ahead of both of us so it's good to know what might be coming.

CAB, I'm sure your bf understands. Hopefully in a few months that will no longer be a problem
    I know what you mean about the coffee thing. I expected to get a headache from caffiene withdrawel, but that was not a problem thankfully.
    Wow, Just one more day to go!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hey Andy and Dwalt,

Yesterday was interesting. I did manage to get there on time without coffee, it was a struggle, but I made it.

Pre-OP lasted about 30mins. Blood work and chest xray. I was then put in a hospital room for about an hour waiting my turn. The took me in to pre-op area at about 10am. The nurses talked to me, the anestesia person told me what and how he was going to do, then the doc came in and talked to me for a bit. About 15 minutes later they took me to the OR. The strapped me down to the bed (i felt like i was in an institution and they were restraining me so i didn't hurt myself or something). They put in the iv and covered me with lots of blankets. The they said..it's time. We are going to put some stuff in your iv and it might sting a little, then you will be out. Right as they put in in the iv...it start hurting. I said...."Sting a litte? It hurts like hell"...that is the last thing i remember.
    An hour later i woke up in the recovery room. I could hear things immeditely (i had to take both my hearing aids out for the surgery and didn't have the on for the unoperated ear in yet). I was surprised. Yes, it was very muffled like my ear waas full of water - but I could hear then talking. It was very cool. My nurse never left my side, she was very attentative. She gave me some ice chips because my throat was hurting bad and that seemed to help. I was very nausious and dizzy but never threw up.

They took me to my room around 1:10 where my family was and they were all saying they wondered how I was doing as I was coming thru the door (again, I still had no hearing aid in the other ear). I said i feel like crap, but i can hear a little. Big grins all the way around. My bf gave me a huge hand squeese and kiss - he was soooo happy for me.

I stayed in the room till about 3:15 till the dizziness dispated, then went home. The car ride liked to kill me (the motion) but i made it home.

About 30 mins after i got home, my girls got home from school. The first thing i said qas "shhhhhhhhh" cause they were being loud as normal talking to me so I could hear them. The oldest one got so excited. She said to her sister...did you hear that? Mom told us to be quiet! That means she can hear us. It was quite a moving moment.
    I slept off and on till this morning. I had a little ear drainage last night but not too bad. I changed the cotton ball as instructed. I am able to hear the tv without putting it on "39" for volume but it's obviously still sounding funny.

W really wasn't expecing to hear anything for a few weeks, but so far - it's been all good.

I haven't had any pain yet, but from everyone's reports - that is still yet to come.

So far, I am very happy with the results. I know it's still early and lots of things can and will happen but I'll deal with them when the time comes.

The dizziness is awful but like Andy said..just move slow. The sudden head movements is what gets me. When walking, i tend to float to the left but that is also getting a little better.

OK. nap time again, I'll update y'all again soon.

----CAB---

Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

***Sorry for all the typos in my last post, i'm blaming it on the pain meds****

Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
    Andy_01
    Inactive
    (male)

Andy_01 HB User

Hey CAB, that's great!
    I'm so glad it went so well for you.
    It's amazing you can hear anything yet.
    Yeah, those sudden head movements, it's like the marbles continue rolling around a little even after you stop moving.

Do you notice any ringing?
    Also, how soon before you go back to have the packing removed?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
    dwalt
    (male)

dwalt HB User

Andy and Cab:

Like Andy, I do have constant ringing in my ear. But that was already there before I had the surgery. Most of the time I just ignore it. I understand the ringing can get better once the hearing improves. I still have some pain in the ear, but it is becoming more infrequent. Still using antibiotic ear drops.

I find myself yawning alot trying to get the ear to pop. like ears sometimes do when you fly. Sometimes the ear feels full... But that is also becoming less frequent.

Hearing is improving overall. I went to a movie yesterday and the sound in the theater did not sound muddled or too loud. The hearing was actually good.

About 3 more weeks before I have the hearing test. I'll keep you posted on how that goes and what the doctor suggests on the ringing. I am praying that the ringing decreases.

Dwalt

Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Good Morning Guys!

Yesterday was mostly a good day. I gotta tell you though, when i read all about the dizziness and every one stressed that i would extremely dizzy I thought i was prepared for it. No way - this is awful. I mean moving my head even a quarter inch and i wanna just pass out. Nothing properly prepared me for exactly how bad it would be. They gave me valum for the dizziness and it works for a couple hours but you can sure tell when it wears off. It hits me like a rock.

The ringing/buzzing comes and goes and is usually after I get up and move around. If i'm laying still for any period of time (which is a lot) then it doesn't happen.

This morning I put the tv volume half way. I could hear it, not really clear but could make out most of the words. So having the volume on 17 instead of 39 is cool.

I go back to doc on the 24th for my first post op visit and hopefully to get the packing out, then again on Feb 28for my first hearing test.

I Popped my ears last night - both of them by accident. In the operated ear I could hear a "squishing/gushing sound" when i did it. I gotta call doc today and see if i need to go in and get it looked at. I hope I didn't mess up the way the ear drum is laying and it keeps it from healing properly. That has me a little worried.

I had a little drainage from my ear last night but other than that, it appears fine.

I'm still very surprised that my taste was not affected at all. Nothing has tasted funny or like the metallic taste people have reported.

My mom told me that after the surgery for a couple hours the left side of my face was drooping a bit but by the time i got home and in front of a mirror it was back to normal.

Today i'm able to walk a straight line instead of floating to the left. That is also an improvement. I'm also having a little pain in the operated ear, but nothing unbearable.

Of all things to hear..i heard my dog snoring last night! I even heard myself snoring so loud that I woke myself up a couple of times.

Doc tomorrow at noon to see if I messed up the ear drum seal - but it's supposed to get really icy here tonight so i'm not sure I can get there. I'm in Dallas, TX.

More later,
    -CAB-

Last edited by CAB1; 01-18-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 01-19-2007, 05:10 AM   #14
    Andy_01
    Inactive
    (male)

Andy_01 HB User

It's been 2 weeks since surgery:

The last few days, I've had these strange pains in my jaw when I eat something cold. It feels something like those same nerves along your cheeks you would feel if you were to suck on a lemon. But everything tastes normal.
    My hearing is really improving! I think my right ear can hear volume almost as well as my left now, but it is just more distorted.
    I was amazed by this yesterday, I kept covering my left, then right ear trying to compare them while watching TV.
    The volume level is a noticeable improvement from my pre-surgery days. I think the ear drum itself has to heal, and may be a source of at least some of the distortion.

CAB, I hope your dizzyness clears up soon, I know that's a terrible feeling.
    I remember those first few days, when I got out of bed, I had to sit up very slowly, then just sit at the edge of the bed for a minute before getting up.
    Occasionally, I would get this sudden off balance jarring sensation in my head for no apparent reason. I seem to be back to normal now.

Ice in Dallas? Maybe the Cubs will finally win this year

dwalt, it sounds like your hearing is coming along very well, except for the ringing. Mine is also constant and I will be glad to get rid of it.

Andy

Old 01-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi Guys,

I went to the doc today to get the ear drum that I popped checked out. He said everything was fine. He did the tuning fork on my forehead and behind the ear..I could hear it the same in both places. He then put it right beside the operated ear...I could hear it fairly well. It was pretty cool.

I now don't go back until Feb. 28th to get packing out and my first hearing test.

The dizziness is getting a little better. Just move slow. I'm finally remembering that. I had very little ringing in the ear today and absolutely no buzzing. No pain either, just the clogged ear feeling.

Sounds are still very distorted, but they are there. Not loudly, but they are there.

All in all, it was a pretty good day.

Andy - I have absolutely no idea how you were able to drive on day 4. If i had to drive somewhere to save my life, there was no way I could have done it.

More later.

-CAB-

Closed Thread