It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• bass/low frequency noises

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2001, 06:56 AM   #1
    jennybr

jennybr HB User
    Post bass/low frequency noises

Has anyone here ever heard of a sensitivity to low frequency noises and vibrations in particular? While higher frequencies can bother me it's the ones such as the bass on a neighbor's stereo or the slamming of a door downstairs that will drive me straight up the wall and can truly ruin me for the day. I really can get extremely agitated and out of control, as though I fly into a temper tantrum and don't know what the hell is going on around me. Has anyone out there ever heard of such sensitivites as this? Ones that are so specific to bass? I'd like to add too that it's not simply the sounds I pick up with my ears, it's the accompanying feel/vibration that I pick up in my body too, and with bass that particularly happens in my chest - so much so that I've complained before of it feeling like it's changing my heartbeat...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
    imhdab
    (female)

imhdab HB User
    Re: bass/low frequency noises

Hi,

I know this is a really old post but I was doing a search and came across it. I have this problem EXACTLY! I think I've always been bothered by loud low sounds -- especially BASS! Some college kids moved in to the apartment next door and have been driving me INSANE with the constant bass. Over and over and over.... boom-boom-boom-BOOM! AUUUUGH!!!

I'd also like to know if anyone else is so sensitive to bass and if so, does this 'disorder' have a name? I HAVE white noise machines and I can still hear the bass with them on high. Any other suggestions? (I SWEAR that bass could cut straight through concrete...!)

Thanks in advance,
    ~Heather

Last edited by imhdab; 02-11-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
    Paulied3

Paulied3 HB User

I too am bothered by low frequnecy noise. But not just by bass from radios or TV's. I am also bothered by cars with special mufflers that enhance the noise level, tractor trailers and construction equipment. I become very distracted when I hear theses noises and I am not able to sleep If I can hear the noise. I believe I have a sensitivity to theses noises as an ideling tractor trailer distracts me at 200 yards while I am inside my house. My wife says she cannot hear the noises when I do, or she says they are so faint that she can barely hear them, but to me its like a beating bass drum right between my ears. For years I have had people tell me to go see a shrink. But I am wondering if this is a physical condition or a psycological condition. Can anyone help?

PD

Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
    Chicago Sandy

Chicago Sandy HB User

I have both atypical Meniere's Syndrome (too much fluid in the cochlea) and a possible patulous (abnormally wide open) eustachian tube. Hypersensitivity to bass frequencies is a symptom of both. Sometimes I can even feel my left eardrum move in response to them. Wear earplugs whenever you are exposed to loud bass sounds.

Closed Thread