It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Dynamic Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2001, 12:40 PM   #1
    vernon123

vernon123 HB User
    Post Dynamic Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

For the past little while, I have been complaining of the excruciating symptoms of middle ear myoclonus (Muscle Spasms). Now, it seems a problem from the early months of my left ear injury has returned. Without warning, the eustachian tube slams open and shut, popping the ear drum. THIS IS UNBEARABLE, driving me insane, ruining whatever I am doing. Just like the myoclonus attacks. It seems when I'm not enduring one unbearable symptom, another takes it's place. The only real difference between now and the STUPID injury eight months ago is that the rest of my ear is now healed. The eustachian tube and middle ear muscles obviously are not healing. They are going in circles. The eustachian tube is dormant, then, the middle ear muscles act up. The middle ear muscles leave me alone and the eustachian tube goes crazy! THERE IS NO WAY OUT. The exception being some relief from codeine/acetaminophen pills, that I FINALLY succeeded in getting a proper ammount and anti-convulsants (Tegretol and clonazepam). Anybody else who is experiencing this worst form of eustachian tube dysfunction? The only remedy I see is freezing all the nerves and muscles around the eustachian tube, collapsing it, cutting the middle ear muscles and inserting a permanent ventilation tube in my ear drum. So what if I lose a significant ammount of hearing! Rather that than being TORMENTED by these RANDOM attacks! I can't work and I can't study because of this debilitating condition. The doctors are afraid of doing anything. My ENT finally grudgingly agreed to an operation to sever the middle ear muscle if the botox injection does'nt work. That, however won't solve the eustachian tube problem. Are there any procedures that exist to alleviate this condition? I would appreciate any kind of response, positive or negative. I may never be normal again. I just want to go down to a state of discomfort that is manageable. Then I can start a new and better life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread