It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Hearing Disorders Message Board

  • Lib - Cutting the Tensor Tympani Muscle Advice Please.

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
    JohnUK
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: UK
    Posts: 35
    JohnUK HB User
    Lib - Cutting the Tensor Tympani Muscle Advice Please.

    Hi Lib,

    Read your posts. Very interesting to say the least. Glad to read things have improved for you. I hope you maybe of assistance.

    Originally you were dignosed with PET, but your eardrums were still moving with your breathing, suggesting your tensor tympani muscles were over active, not functioning correctly.

    Is it true to say that autophony can be caused by a over active tensor tympani muscle?
    When cutting this muscle, chewing sounds, etc can no longer travel to the hearing parts of the ear, and in theory stopping the autophony?

    My understanding is that the tensor tympani muscle dampens vibrations from when chewing foods. If we cut this muscle and it does not give relief from symptoms, is it possible to rebuild the muscle?

    Hope to hear from you. Thank You.

    John

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: Lib - Cutting the Tensor Tympani Muscle Advice Please.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnUK View Post
    Hi Lib,

    Read your posts. Very interesting to say the least. Glad to read things have improved for you. I hope you maybe of assistance.

    Originally you were dignosed with PET, but your eardrums were still moving with your breathing, suggesting your tensor tympani muscles were over active, not functioning correctly.

    Is it true to say that autophony can be caused by a over active tensor tympani muscle?
    When cutting this muscle, chewing sounds, etc can no longer travel to the hearing parts of the ear, and in theory stopping the autophony?

    My understanding is that the tensor tympani muscle dampens vibrations from when chewing foods. If we cut this muscle and it does not give relief from symptoms, is it possible to rebuild the muscle?

    Hope to hear from you. Thank You.

    John
    john,
    mine was a very complex case, i have myoclonus in the middle ear and e tube.
    so my symptoms were multiple. cutting the tendons for me worked to alleviate a lot of symptoms but not all.....but its so much better i am living with the rest much better.
    for me my voice was lous and would cause spasms in my ears, and certain facial movements when breathing through my nose caused the wind/flutter sound.
    i am unsure if the tendons can be rebuilt, but i do know they are cut for various surgeries so its not uncommon. i am grateful to have had the surgery and have no regrets at all.

     
    Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
    JohnUK
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: UK
    Posts: 35
    JohnUK HB User
    Re: Lib - Cutting the Tensor Tympani Muscle Advice Please.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib View Post
    john,
    mine was a very complex case, i have myoclonus in the middle ear and e tube.
    so my symptoms were multiple. cutting the tendons for me worked to alleviate a lot of symptoms but not all.....but its so much better i am living with the rest much better.
    for me my voice was lous and would cause spasms in my ears, and certain facial movements when breathing through my nose caused the wind/flutter sound.
    i am unsure if the tendons can be rebuilt, but i do know they are cut for various surgeries so its not uncommon. i am grateful to have had the surgery and have no regrets at all.

    Thanks for writing

    Did cutting the tensor tympani tendon stop your autophony?

    Can you please tell me about your autophony?

    Voice Autophony?
    Eating/Chewing Autophony?
    Breathing Autophony?
    Heartbeat Autophony?

    Finally did you get flickering eyes?

     
    Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
    lib
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 850
    lib HB Userlib HB User
    Re: Lib - Cutting the Tensor Tympani Muscle Advice Please.

    hi john,
    yes it helped with all those symptoms. mine was more of an echo sound and things were louder, but it helped thatd for sure.
    describe to me the eye symptoms...

     
    Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
    JohnUK
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: UK
    Posts: 35
    JohnUK HB User
    Re: Lib - Cutting the Tensor Tympani Muscle Advice Please.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lib View Post
    hi john,
    yes it helped with all those symptoms. mine was more of an echo sound and things were louder, but it helped thatd for sure.
    describe to me the eye symptoms...
    Hi Lib,

    Thanks again for writing.

    Please read the Thread - Eardrum fluttering.........could it be middle ear myoclonus?

    Thank You.

    John

    Last edited by JohnUK; 02-24-2008 at 11:42 AM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Girlfriend cutting - need advice powerstruggle Self-injury Recovery 8 04-11-2009 01:28 PM
    Tensor Tympani not PET? Nowhearthis Inner Ear Disorders 0 01-29-2008 03:46 AM
    Hyperactive Tensor Tympani Muscle with Hyperacusis laurca Hearing Disorders 4 08-24-2007 06:24 AM
    Tensor Tympani Syndrome dizzyinmissouri Inner Ear Disorders 1 09-24-2003 12:28 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!