It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• clogged ears

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2002, 12:27 PM   #1
    Bonney669
    Inactive

Bonney669 HB User
    Question clogged ears

Since July this year both of my ears have been clogging up and popping. I have seen 5 different ENT doctors and just had allergy testing done. I have mild allergy to mold and am getting allergy shots. I hope the doctor is right about this being the problem. I am taking Clarinex and Nasonex without much relief. Some days are better than others but they feel so plugged up all the time it's driving me nuts.
    The weather and tempurature definetly affect them too. Driving up hills they clog up moreso. I am at my whits end and don't know what else to try for relief. My fiance thinks I am not getting the proper treatment but I don't know what else to try.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't deal with this problem anymore. I am even thinking of asking the doctor about tubes for my ears if it will help.
    I never new I had allergies either, since I am not sneezing a lot or runny nose symptoms. This is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had though I can tell you that. Sometimes I begin to think it will never go away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bonney669 For This Useful Post:
    carlaridge5 (01-27-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
    Bonney669
    Inactive

Bonney669 HB User
    Thanks for your reply Carol. Were you able to pop your ears by blowing your nose? I can do that sometimes. My doc had said maybe TMJ but they don't seem to know.
    I wish they would figure it out soon.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #3
    starlight_tears

starlight_tears HB User
    Do you get a feeling like your swallowing over a lump in your throat when your ears block and do you feel locked in yourself?

Old 01-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
    Bonney669
    Inactive

Bonney669 HB User
    Yes I do feel like a lump in throat, and sometimes i also have that locked in self feeling. I think that is just anxiety from all this frustration from clogged ears driving me nuts! Do you suffer from this as well?

Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #5
    baldy1961
    (male)

baldy1961 HB User
    Re: clogged ears

I have all of the symptoms listed above, but I have one more. It seems that I all of the mucas settles in my chest causing me to have ashma like symptoms or Bronchitis. When I swallow my ears pop, I feel like my head is full of fluid. It is driving me nutts.

Tom

Last edited by baldy1961; 03-21-2005 at 07:55 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to baldy1961:
    carlaridge5 (01-27-2011)
    Old 05-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
    NicoleD
    (female)

NicoleD HB User

Wow, glad I found this thread. My ears clogged a week ago... i went to the ENT b/c I was experiencing randomg spasms in my left ear. They told me it was the tempani muscle or something. Then, last week my ears clogged...it's like i've driven in the moutains and they haven't popped like they should. I try to pop my ears but my left ear only seems to be able to pop.

Anyone have any suggestions on relieving the pressure? I'm not sure if I have allergies, as i've never been tested but I do get congested often, mainly at night.

Any insight would be great.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
    loveherbs
    (female)

loveherbs HB User

Do you have tunnitus with this? I do and No one can fighure this out. I get a thumping noise with the block and pressure feeling by both ears.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:04 AM   #8
    NicoleD
    (female)

NicoleD HB User

Yeah, right now I have tinnitus in my right ear. I think it's caused by all the pressure build up.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I would at least go to the dentist and have your bite checked.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
    laurie16637
    Inactive
    (female)

laurie16637 HB User
    Angry Re: clogged ears

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bonney669
    Since July this year both of my ears have been clogging up and popping. I have seen 5 different ENT doctors and just had allergy testing done. I have mild allergy to mold and am getting allergy shots. I hope the doctor is right about this being the problem. I am taking Clarinex and Nasonex without much relief. Some days are better than others but they feel so plugged up all the time it's driving me nuts.
    The weather and tempurature definetly affect them too. Driving up hills they clog up moreso. I am at my whits end and don't know what else to try for relief. My fiance thinks I am not getting the proper treatment but I don't know what else to try.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't deal with this problem anymore. I am even thinking of asking the doctor about tubes for my ears if it will help.
    I never new I had allergies either, since I am not sneezing a lot or runny nose symptoms. This is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had though I can tell you that. Sometimes I begin to think it will never go away.
    I AM SO FRUSTRATED ALSO I HAVE ALLERGIES TO EVERYTHING INSIDE AND OUT PLUS CATS AND FEATHERS I DO SHOTS AND STILL HAVE CLOGGED EARS AND NOONE AROUND U UNDERSTANDS I HAVE NO TROULBE GETTING EARS TO POP ITS GETTING THEM TO STAY OPEN THATS THE PROBLEM SOMETHIMES IT GETS SO BAD THAT I GET RACEING HEART BEAT AND SWEAT AND FEEL SICK TO MY STOMACHE AND SOMETIME VOMIT AND PACE THE FLOOR FOR HOURS CUZ I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO HAVE U EVER EXPERENICED ANY OF THESE SYSTOMS

Old 08-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
    onlyjane
    (female)

onlyjane HB User

Hi

Do you suffer with sinusitis?

This can leave catarrh in the inner ear which can remain there. Hearing is then muffled to lesser/greater degree, can cause ocassional dizzy spells when catarrh shifts a little bit. Nasal steroid drops may help but no guarantees.

Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
    weeble165
    (female)

weeble165 HB User

i went to a loud gig last tuesday and the next morning i had a lot of ringing in my ears, this went the day after but i was left with a feeling in my ear, mainly my right ear which was next to the speaker, i decided 2 go to the doctors to see what was wrong.
    he said i had a build up of catarrh in the right ear and a small amount in the left.
    he gave me some decongestant tablets and said it would clear quicker...
    its driving me mad and its started to ache a little, does this mean that the tablets are working? or should i go back and see him?
    anyone else had this problem? and is it caused by smoking?
    help
    sarah x

Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #13
    sagrie22
    (female)

sagrie22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by loveherbs View Post
    Do you have tunnitus with this? I do and No one can fighure this out. I get a thumping noise with the block and pressure feeling by both ears.
    Is this curable? If I move my lower jaw to the left or right my ear is fine no clogging and I can hear just fine but if i bring it back again it cloggs. I did go to the doctor and he gave me nasal spree. I have been taking it for over a week now and feel no diffrence.

How does one get this treated.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
    SanDee53
    (female)

SanDee53 HB User

I doubt anyone knows if it is curable since no one knows for sure what it is. I have been dealing with ear problems now for 6 months and not one dr can tell me for sure what it is. It may be this or it may be that. This may help or may not. try this and try that. I am so frustrated. I have been to my family Dr 3 times, to ENT, audiologist, Oral surgeon, chiropractor and massage therapist. I was first treated for allergies for 2 months and not one drug or spray made any change. It obviously is not alergies in my case.

I did not go to any concert where there was loud music or loud noice. I was simply washing dishes one day when my ears began to plug up. I assumed they just needed a good cleaning. I tried myself and then went to my dr and they cleaned them out, said I had some pressure in them and put me on meds. No relief so off to the ENT for his evaluation. He ordered a CAT scan which was normal. Sent me to the audiologist who did hearing tests and then more indepth tests and said though I have a little hearing loss in my left ear everything is fine. Nothing wrong with my Eustation tube. My hearing loss i probably because of my Left ear feeling like it is clogged. He then referred me to an Oral Surgeon for possible TMJ. I was fitted with a night guard but find that I wake up with my ears more plugged than befor i went to bed. I was told to give it 3 months. I went back to my family Dr who ordered an MRI and it too was normal. The OS said he felt I have minimum TMJ and that it was muscular. He sent me to a Physical Therapist who after a week of ultrsound treatments and massage treatments felt they could not help me.

I have since had more massages and I have done ear candeling at recommendation of my Chiropractor but no results. These are my symptoms, not sure if they compare to any of yours.

left ear feels like I have water in it and cannot get it out (but I don't)
    If I hold my nose and blow both ears feel like they pop but left is still plugged.
    I hear my talking on the inside of my head and not the outside.
    Sometimes when I walk I feel every step I take in my head...step...pound...step...pound!
    When I talk I feel a vibration in my head. If I whisper no vibration but the louder I talk the louder the vibration. Singing or humming is out of the question!
    If I apply heat to my left ear it feels like the ear opens up and unplugs but the minute I take the heat away it plugs back up.
    I did discover something last week. My problem seems to be with my left ear. If I plug my left ear and talk my words are on the outside of my head but if I plug my right ear everything is only on the inside of my ear the same as if you plug both ears and talk. This without a doubt convinces me it is the left ear. I also discovered by plugging my r ear that I hear the TV at a lower level than if I plug my L ear.

Another probelm I have and it may not have anything to do with my ear problem or it may and that is I have a terrible scalp itch. I wash my hair daily and never had any problems with this until about a year ago. I do not have dandruff. I find myself scratching constantly as if my head is swelling causing this need to scratch. Maybe my scalp is just dry. I did notice though when we went on our cruise in Novemeber I have no itchy scalp. As soon as I came back it started again. Maybe it is our water.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
    linda5555
    (female)

linda5555 HB User

Hi
    i am so pleased to find this site as i am going insane with the same problems as you.
    i was doing housework and my right ear suddenly went very dull as though clogged. but no matter what i did it is still clogged 3 weeks later, and then a week ago i just blew my nose and my left ear popped and never popped back so now that ear is also clogged. been to dr 3 times and got antibiotics and nasel sprays and antihistamine tablets but nothing has helped.
    i am so wound up about this i dont know how much more i can take.not eating or sleeping with worry.

anybody any ideas

Closed Thread