It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Eustachian Tube Injections Needed in Canada

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
    vernon123

vernon123 HB User
    Post Eustachian Tube Injections Needed in Canada

Two years ago, I suffered a devastating injury to my left ear. First, there was this horrible congestion, crackling, crunching and popping in my ear. The popping was unbearable. After five months of this torment the popping went away for the most part, but then the muscle spasms began. They were almost as maddening as the popping.Next, I had botox injections in the roof of my mouth. Eventually this made the muscle spasms go away, but that was replaced by patulous eustachian tube dysfunction. I could not stand the roaring autophoney and breathing noises. I was completely disoriented. I could not work or go to school. Finally, I found out about Dr. Denis Poe in Boston. He performed a procedure where Aria Calcium Hydroxylapatite was injected into my defective eustachian tube. First, the procedure seemed to be a failure. The patulous eustachian tube dysfunction returned with symptoms being worse than before. Then, over the next two months, the presence of this substance caused the buildup of scar tissue which narrowed the eustachian tube. This prevented it from opening abnormally. Now, only once in a while, I get a pop in my eustachian tube. Often, this happens only once a week. I do get these maddening muscle spasms, but not as frequently as 18 months ago. As far as I know, this procedure got rid of the patulous eustachian tube part of my ear problem. Initially, the Quebec government health insurance plan refused to pay for the procedure. Then, with the help of my family, we appealed the decision. They reconsidered and reimbursed me what I payed. This procedure is really needed in Canada. Patulous eustachian tube dysfunction is a condition that is unlivable. Life was unbearable when I had it. Dr.Poe told me that they have been using similar procedures since the 1970's. Why in the new millenium is the canadian medical community so far behind?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
    tonglo
    (male)

tonglo HB User
    Hi Nathan,

I have an appointment to see Dr. Poe in the next week. I made the appointment with him nearly four months ago. Seems like the man to see. In any event, do you know if the calcium injection is considered experimental? I live in the states and have health insurance (however, my plan is fair at best). Based on the cost of the procedure ($12,000 Canadian dollars), looks as if I'll have to come up with $8000 (American dollars) somehow. If this procedure works, I'll work night and day to get the $8000 as I have had PETD for a year now.

Thanks for all your input. You have definitely given others hope.

Paul

Old 02-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
    vernon123

vernon123 HB User
    As far as I know, the procedure is not experimental. The only difference is that the substance is new. Your health insurance should pay for the treatment. Like I said before, eustachian tube dysfunction of any kind is intolerable and debilitating. Good luck with your visit to Dr. Poe.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
    debocon

debocon HB User
    Paul, How did your visit with Dr. Poe turn out? How did you find him? My 28 year old son suffers unbelievably with eustacion tube disorder. Popping everytime he swallows. He also can't sleep because of this. He has been to many doctors in Dallas, TX. They don't seem to know how to treat it. Botox was mentioned for palatous myoclonus, but they are too hesitant to do this. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Debbie C.

Old 05-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
    wumburner

wumburner HB User
    Unhappy

Hi my name is Peter and I suffer from PET
    could any of you please give me the location,phone number or any other information regarding Dr.Poe in
    Boston, I would really like to schedule an appointmnt with him.

Thank you

[Please note that the board posting guidelines allow
    only the posting of a doctor's name, city and state.
    Please do not ask members to violate the guidelines. Thank you!]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 05-09-2003).]

Old 05-26-2003, 11:41 AM   #6
    tonglo
    (male)

tonglo HB User
    Debbie and Peter,

Debbie, my sincere apologies for not getting back to you earlier. I find the message boards very supportive but sometimes the stories are heartbreaking (including my own) and I need to take a break. Anyway, I wish I had better news as far as I'm concerned. Dr. Poe is a good man (and I recommend him highly) but it appears I have him stumped (as far as my condition is concerned). In other words, he has checked me for Patulous
    Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (PETD) and for a Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence (SSCD). The VEMP test for SSCD came up negative. He is going to see me again (i.e., late June) to see if I, indeed, could have PETD.

At this point, no need to get into further problems associated with my life. Your main concern is your son. Therefore, I recommend that you be open to numerous problems associated with the inner ear. In other words, are you sure your son has a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction? Did a doctor diagnosis it as so? Again, I'm only playing devil's advocate here. Has he had an MRI for any other potential problems? Has an ENT considered a potential myringotomy (to alleviate possible fluid)? Has an ENT considered SSCD? Is nerve damage a consideration? There could be so many things involved. The inner ear is a very complex thing (as I have found in my readings). Please note, I am not a doctor; only a layman trying to understand the problems associated with the inner ear (and what has happened to me).

Peter,

Per the board's guidelines:

Dr. Dennis Poe
    Boston, MA

Take care all,

Paul

Closed Thread