It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• A vacuum in my ears? Clogged, ringing.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #1
    Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee HB User
    Unhappy A vacuum in my ears? Clogged, ringing.

Hi everyone. I've had ear problems for as long as I can remember. When I was really young I had one middle ear infection after another, and when I reached high school I suffered from constantly clogged ears. I was told when I was 17 that blockages were causing a 'vacuum' in my ear tubes and that what I felt was extreme pressure. Now at the age of 23 I still have the same problem, but when I go to the doctor they can't see any wax and tell me to purchase anti-histemines for what they think is an allergy, which don't work. I am absolutely fed up. I beleive this constantly heavy, stuffy feeling inside of my head contributes to depression, constant tiredness and irritability. It almost never goes away. I have always been able to 'pop' my ears by moving some sort of muscle inside my head (which I know sounds weird but unlike other people I don't need to open my mouth or move my jaw), so I know there is stuff in their. I am always popping them during the day, without even realising it, because it gives momentary relief but then things go back to normal.

Does anyone suffer from the same problem? If so, is there some sort of treatment that relieves the symptoms? My doctor doesn't seem to take me seriously, and I am at my wits end as to what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
    caz 406
    (female)

caz 406 HB User
    Hi, I have to say I haven't experienced the same problems as you but I know exactly what you mean about moving a muscle (or something?!) to make your ears pop - only I find it's more of a crunching sound but it does pop the ears. Nobody else has ever known what I meant when I said I could do that - good to know I'm not a freak after all!
    Good luck with getting it all sorted out. Caz.

Old 02-24-2003, 01:59 PM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Bumble Bee,

It sounds like you have a buildup of debris (puss, scarring etc.) in you MIDDLE ear...this is beyond the eardrum so it has nothing to do with wax.
    Multiple infections as a child causes pus builup which should drain out the eustachian tube into your throat, but often doesn't.

Sometimes decongestants help but after years the stuff is hardened and won't come out.

See an expert otolaryngologist.

There are hold nose and blow and suck kind of excersizes that will help vent the middle ear...but don't try til somebody shows you how. Surgery can be done through the eardrum or stents put in eustachian tube to open it. You or your doctor must somehow drain/clean the middle ear for relief.

edit: See Jillym's post on almost the same condition.

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 02-24-2003).]

Old 08-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
    x i luv pink x

x i luv pink x HB User
    Exclamation

Wow. When I read your post I was amazed and had to register. I have had the same problems for a while now. I am 14 and probably first really started to notice my "ear problems" when I was about 8 or 9. I get sick often (meaning colds) and it always affects my ears. My right ear is more affected then my left. It feels really "clogged" and it annoys me so much because I feel off balanced. I also notice my self "popping" my ears during the day, even when I don't notice it, I do it. It's almost natural now. I've gone to an allergist and I've gotten medicane but nothing seems to keep my ears clear of fluid. They always have a "pressure" feeling. I just want it to STOP! I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to have this problem. If anyone knows of any sulutions to this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

Closed Thread