It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Otosclerosis and Facial Discomfort

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
    rickim

rickim HB User
    Post Otosclerosis and Facial Discomfort

I noticed a problem with the hearing in my right ear about 7 years ago. I had a hearing test done and was diagnosed with Otosclerosis. I have subsequently had 2 more hearing tests done and all have come to the conclusion I have Otosclerosis in my right ear. I have also been experiencing effects of Tinnitus. When I had my last hearing test and follow up with the ENT I mentioned to him about a numbness/fullness/pain on the right side of my face and neck that comes and goes. He said it was consistent with Otosclerosis, but in all the reading I have done it says that there in no pain involved with Otosclerosis. Has anyone with Otosclerosis experienced anything similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
    Boomerue
    (female)

Boomerue HB User
    Hi, Just repling to your email.
    I have got the same thing as you, I have hearing loss,in my left ear, I have a viberating sound, and very clogged up ears, and head, I have had it for 3 months now, drives you insane.
    I have got bad headaches, and a stiff neck, and back, and shoulders, some times I dont hear the noise in the ear, and then it is there all day.
    I had another hearing test last week, and she said that my right ear was fine, but I have this thing, like there is air, in the ear, andshe said that I had not lost any hearing in that ear, and my left ear, which nearly drives me mad has only lost a bit mor ehearing, since I had my hearing teats, which was 9 years ago.
    Do you get dizzy, and face pain, and have you got a noise in the ear.
    Sometimes I feel so sick, I have a job to work.
    My ent guy, did not say any thing about the clogged head or ears, did yours.
    Hope to hear from you .

Old 09-27-2003, 03:31 PM   #3
    rickim

rickim HB User
    I am scheduled for a stapendectomy Oct 15. I don't feel dizzy at all, no headaches, and I can sleep fine, but I have ringing in my right ear and sometimes a pulsating sound, similar to a heartbeat. The stiffness/pain on the right side of my face is what bothers me the most.

Old 09-28-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    rickim,

There ARE facial and taste nerves that pass through the middle ear and it seems quite logical that otosclerosis could damage or irritate them.
    After my last stapedectomy the taste buds on the outer edge of my tongue picked up different taste sensations for months afterward. It was caused by them having to move the taste nerve that passes THROUGH the malleus (hammer bone.)

Good luck with your stapedectomy.

Old 09-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
    Boomerue
    (female)

Boomerue HB User
    Hi Again, I hope all goes well, with your op, I am not going to do anything about mine at the momment, as I can still hear ok, it is just the clogged up head, and ears, that drive me mad.
    I am going to the dental guy, today, to see if my bite is ok.
    And to make things worse, for the last 5 days, I have had a very bad tooth ache, so of to the dentist tomorrow, will not sleep at all tonight, just freking out about going, lol such a coward.
    I have had this noise in my ear, since I had new dentures put in on xmas eve, it may have started the noise off, and the clogged up ears, and head, so will see what he has to say today.
    The funny thing is, I seem to hear the noise mostly at night, and when I wake up, but the clogged up ears, and head are there all the time.
    Best of luck to you, and hope that you will be well soon.

Closed Thread