It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Anyone experience complete hearing loss after stapedectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
    smwiller
    (female)

smwiller HB User
    Anyone experience complete hearing loss after stapedectomy?

I had left ear stapedectomy on 3/12 and developed granuloma. Doctor re-operated on 3/19, but I appear to have lost all hearing in my operated ear. All my other symptoms seem typical when I read the "my stapedectomy report" thread. But I wonder about the hearing loss and if there is any hope for recovery. The doctors are being conservative, the posts here seem to indicate that it could take several weeks to evaluate the hearing results...

Thanks for any insights!

Sheila

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
    caseypons
    (male)

caseypons HB User
    Wink Re: Anyone experience complete hearing loss after stapedectomy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smwiller View Post
    I had left ear stapedectomy on 3/12 and developed granuloma. Doctor re-operated on 3/19, but I appear to have lost all hearing in my operated ear. All my other symptoms seem typical when I read the "my stapedectomy report" thread. But I wonder about the hearing loss and if there is any hope for recovery. The doctors are being conservative, the posts here seem to indicate that it could take several weeks to evaluate the hearing results...

Thanks for any insights!

Sheila
    Sheila,
    Just thought I would drop you a line to see how things have progressed since your last surgery. I hate to hear of this one unsuccessful testimonial in my twelve years after surgery. I had my left ear done then and was very impressed and relatively shy of any negative issues. After this amount of time passed I am looking to get the other ear done, and just stumbled upon this site today.
    Sheila, please respond with your current status, as I am very interested as to your progression.
    Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,
    Casey

Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
    smwiller
    (female)

smwiller HB User
    Re: Anyone experience complete hearing loss after stapedectomy?

Thank you so much for your concern, Casey. I am still experiencing dizziness (it was two weeks today) and I have no or very little hearing in the operated ear. Today was kind of a bad day for me (just a little pity party). I wonder how unusual it is to still be dizzy after two weeks -- I am not bouncing off walls anymore, but I am fairly uncomfortable. My next visit with the docs is 4/17/08 when they will test my hearing.

Sheila

Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
    caseypons
    (male)

caseypons HB User

Sheila,
    Wow, That was quick. I bet you cannot wait to see your ENT... 4/17 must seem an eternity at this point. I am not familiar with granuloma, I will do some research. You say your ENT is being conservative, 4/17 doesn't seem too conservative. Not trying to stir the pot..... just wondering if you are ok with his "conservatism." Maybe time without his care is not the best thing right now.
    I will do some research and get back with you when I know more about your condition.

Casey

Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
    caseypons
    (male)

caseypons HB User

Just goggled Glanuloma thinking it was a condition due to the surgery. So you were never diagnosed with Otosclerosis. That was my condition with a Stapedectomy as the procedure to rectify the condition.
    What ever you are comfortable with then go with that.
    Sincerely,
    Casey

Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
    smwiller
    (female)

smwiller HB User

Actually the granuloma popped up after the first surgery. I was diagnosied with otosclerosis and after the first surgery the doctor said that the growth was fairly thick and difficult to remove. My doctor is a true expert in the field -- one of the 10 best in the country, so I know that he is competent.

I am going to call him today and let him know that the dizziness is not resolving and see what he thinks.

Sheila

Old 05-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
    d2d2
    (male)

d2d2 HB User

Hello,

I had my surgery last week, 5/15/08. I was in for my follow up yesterday and during the hearing test, it became apparent I have no hearing at all in my left ear. I too continue to be dizzy. My Doctor, who is an expert does not seem optimistic. Please let me know how you progress and what your Doctor has to say. I go back next Friday. I am also on steroids.

d2d2

Closed Thread