It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• My Stapedectomy Report - Part 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User
    My Stapedectomy Report - Part 3

Fellow Stapedectomy Warriors...............

My Stapedectomy Report that was started by Andy_01 and has 367 posts was Part 1.

My Stapedectomy Report that was started by AF244 and has 176 posts was Part 2.

This is the continuation. They want us to limit it to 80 posts per thread so I'll try to keep an eye on it and start a new one as per their rules when the time comes.

Please continue here.

Ray - I hope you find us. It was good to "hear" that you are doing better today and you can hear much better. Remember there will be ups and downs but hang in there.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 04-01-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
    beccabec
    (female)

beccabec HB User
    Re: My Stapedectomy Report - Part 3

I am now 2.5 weeks out from my surgery, and I feel 100% back to normal as far as energy and no dizzies! I can move my head in all directions (took me over a week to be able to look up in the air w/out getting woozy)

My hearing is so improved that I want to have the other ear done in June (doc said 6 months b/n each surgery, but I might beg.)

Ray, give yourself a good week or two and don't get down about things. Your hearing will be significantly different when the packing is gone.

Carrie, thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
    mommy5000
    (female)

mommy5000 HB User

Hi everyone!!! thanks for the support! I was so upset that my computer at home was on the blitz so I could not get to you all!!! I am at work for the first time today and am actually feeling a little puny for the first time. lol I guess just trying to get back into the routine. I had a wonderful experience. I was not nauseous at any time not even once!!! I did have a little more pain than some reported but who cares I was not nauseous even once. lol. I took extra valium and slept slept slept. the computer is making me dizzy today but I am amazed at my fantastic experience. I do not have any wonderful hearing stories yet. All i know is that its either the same or it improved but it did not get worse. lol I go in tomorrow to get all the packing removed. If I have an infection it would be due to the fact that my two year old is constantly kissing my owie with her dirty little face. lol I am just so relieved. I cant wait to see if I can hear. I have not gotten to read anyone's posts yet. I will back track and do that in a min.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
    jill972
    (female)

jill972 HB User

Hi Everyone! My name is Jill and I have recently been diagnosed with Otosclerosis. My doctor is recommending a stapedectomy in my right ear. I am nervous about the surgery because I am a Flight Attendant. I am interested in getting in touch with another Flight Attendant or Pilot that has had the surgery to see if they are having any complications due to pressurization on the airplane. Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by jill972; 04-02-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
    caseypons
    (male)

caseypons HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jill972 View Post
    Hi Everyone! My name is Jill and I have recently been diagnosed with Otosclerosis. My doctor is recommending a stapedectomy in my right ear. I am nervous about the surgery because I am a Flight Attendant. I am interested in getting in touch with another Flight Attendant or Pilot that has had the surgery to see if they are having any complications due to pressurization on the airplane. Thanks for your assistance.
    Hey Jill,
    Just a quick not of advise from my successful surgery 12 years ago. I was doing a bit of flying at the time with my business, and my ENT highly suggested I wait until I had at least 90-120 day window before flying. In fact he did not want me driving over Mt Hood passes from west to eastern Oregon (3,000 ft.) for the same duration. You may want to inquire within your organization and/or insurance company as to someone with the surgery. Your ENT should definitely have RED flags raised when he examines you and finds out your profession. I babied my rehabilitation procedures and think that the reason (besides having a great DR.) for my success.

Good Luck,

Casey

Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
    thegboyz
    (female)

thegboyz HB User

I have been following these threads since I found them in January. I was diagnosed in January with otosclerosis and my surgery is scheduled for the end of this month. Every time I read the posts I get mixed emotions about the surgery. It seems this surgery effects each person differently and I will not know how it'll effect me until I have it. It's like a little community here and I thought it's about time that I tell everyone I am here. My drawbacks from having the surgery is the PATIENCE that I hear everyone talk about. I have a 9 month old, 2 year old, and 4 and 5 year old-all boys. Patience is something that I don't have time for. The thought of not being able to lift my 9 month baby or my 2 year old toddler for a while really gets me down. How long will I not be able to pick them up? I remember reading one post that said nothing heavier than a phone book for quite a while. One of my boys is 20 lbs. and one is 24 lbs. I also teach two days a week. I told the principal that I would need two weeks off. Do you think I'll need longer? When did everyone else go back to work and was it teaching a bunch of elementary kids? Just wanted to let you all know that I'm here and happy to finally post.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
    mommy5000
    (female)

mommy5000 HB User

Thegboyz,

Hi! Welcome. I too had mixed emotions from reading the boards. I admit the 9 month old will be hard and the boys will be loud. lol. I have 13,12,11 and 2 year old. All were at school or daycare on Mon - Fri...my sister of husband made dinner, baby in bed by 8:30 kids in bed by 9:00 so I was still able to sleep for most of the time. i had my surgery on Wednesday morning and was to return to work the following monday. I went back on Tuesday instead. some people were driving after 4 days. i was not comfortable with that so My mom has driven me this week (my surgery was on March 26) This weeks schedule went as follows.....Sister came over in mornings to yell the older children out of bed and get them out the door. Husband takes baby to daycare. Mom picks me up for work......Mom takes me home from work, husband picks baby up from daycare 12 year old made tuna helper twice, i ordered pizza once, husband made dinner other night. All kids went to room and i watched tv on couch with baby. My two year old understands that mommy cant pick her up but we have a great time chanting "lets hold hands, lets hold hands, lets hold hands" all the way to the couch where she climbs up on my lap and we cuddle as much as we want (I know you saw where she kisses my owie with her dirty little mouth) It's not to bad really, just tired. i will write more later...sorry so unclear...on valume. lol

Old 04-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
    mylesmom
    (female)

mylesmom HB User

What type of Dr.'s have performed the surgery on those of you who have had it? My ENT told me that if I need it, he will not be doing the surgery, but will recommend several Dr's for me to think about. I have a co-worker who is an audiologist and he has told me to really do my homework on who I let perform the operation if I have it. Between the two of them, that makes me nervous.

Thanks,

Mommy and Jill, I hope things will go smoothly for you!

My tinnitus has gotten worse lately. Does it ever go away?

Last edited by mylesmom; 04-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
    AF244
    (female)

AF244 HB User

Mylesmom-

I live in SW Michigan, and my ENT and family practice doctors referred me to two places in our state, U of Michigan and the Michigan Ear Institute to do the surgery. I'm not sure if these are the ONLY two places in the state that do stapedectomies, but there seemed to be consensus that they do a lot of them and would have surgeons that are very experienced. I was referred to one specific doctor at MEI by one of the nurses at my FP office and was very pleased. It's a drive for me to go there for check ups but it is worth it to get someone who knows what they are doing.

It probably depends on your ENT, but I'm sure there are many that don't do any of these surgeries at all or so few that you would want to go find someone who does a lot of them. Don't be afraid to ask these questions when you are searching for a surgeon.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
    thegboyz
    (female)

thegboyz HB User

Thank you mommy5000 for your info. It just all seems very hectic. I kinda like the idea of sleeping and relaxing with a little valium. It's great that one of your kids is able to make a little dinner. That's cute. It seems like everyone pitches in to help. I'm sure it'll be the same at our house. Do you ever feel guilty? I have a feeling that I will feel guilty that I'm not helping or that I am helpless in general. You know from being the mother that you do a lot of work for the family, most of which goes unnoticed. Who is going to do the unnoticed things? Perhaps they just won't get done. One more thing, do you remember your weight restrictions?

My other question for everyone is how long was it before you could drive? I know that mommy5000 was driven around, perhaps still being driven around. I guess I find it hard to ask people for help.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Mylesmom - Make the trip to Dallas and see Dr. Bob Owens (Owens Ear Center - Baylor Dallas). He's one of the top surgeons for this around here. He did all 3 of my surgeries and several others that have posted in the last year. Also, if you haven't read all the posts on the 3 threads we have been posting too....please take the time to read it. This is your hearing! It's worth coming here for. It's not that far when you consider the seriousness of this surgery.

Gboyz - LOL...Same for you. Read it all, most of your answers are there. Everyone heals at their own rate....but.....I drove after a week after each surgery. Swallow your pride and ask for help. One or two weeks out of your life - to regain a lifetime of hearing - putting it that way puts in into perspective.
    Precook caseroles, etc that can be put in microwave if you have young kids you have to feed. That way you don't feel tooooooo guilty.
    On the weight restriction and general rules after surgery...I was told that I should do nothing that pressurizes the ear. The list included anything that may do that such as:
    Lifting heavy objects (the straining creates internal pressure on the ear drum), sneezing with mouth closed (open is ok), blowing the nose (that one is a biggie and is bad bad bad), flying (pressurizes ear drum), popping your ears, etc.
    Two weeks should be sufficient time before you go back to work, just take cottonballs to put in your ears when you go back at first (to muffle the "noise"). It might be overwhelming at first, it was for me and a few others but you will get used to it and then will be fine.

Mommy - Hang in there! Your schedule sounds like mine did at first. A few more days and you should be able to drive.

Do any of you 3 know what your SRT (speech recocgition threshold) was/is before surgery on your "bad" ear? If so, i'd be interested to know if you would be willing to share that info.

Take care all and keep on posting.

More later,

-Carol-

Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 AM   #12
    mommy5000
    (female)

mommy5000 HB User

carol,
    I know this is strange and I dont understand it but my speech recognition was as good in my bad ear as in my good one (obviously only as far as I could hear)

I second Carol on looking at the other boards they are unbelievable! research research research!

i am from the same area as Carol but i chose Dr. Mark Altenau in Dallas. He is an older gentleman but does a lot of childrens ears too. It is difficult to find and ENT to do this surgery as it is not rare but not common either. Most ENT see about 3 of these cases a year so are not experienced in the surgery. My Dr was in on the "poineering" so to speak of the surgery and has been awesome! and like i said....I experienced 0 nausea (i just cant spell)

Boyz,

My weight limit is 7 pounds. It has really not been all that bad. my daily schedule will go back to normal on Monday. I think I could drive if I wanted to but did not want to drive the kids or drive on valium. Last night we had Mac and cheese for dinner....thats all...mac and cheese...my 12 year old loves to cook but she is um....limited. Baking is another story. We just eat it like its the best meal ever. Yes it seems like all pitch in, but i dont want to disallusion you or make you feel like "why cant my family do that" so I will say we have still had the daily fights (between siblings) calls from the school, tummy aches, two year old fits, forms to sign, arguments about who does what blah blah blah. Do I feel guilty....i thought i would but heck no I don't. My laundry is done....its just all wrinkled and not put away right. The kitchen is picked up.....ok so no one wipes the food off the stove. The floor is picked up...ok so no one vaccuumed it for a week but none of that matters very much this is short term limitations...shorter than a C section or your limitations after child birth. Also, you wont be helpless...but its great to make them think you are for a while.....

Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
    thegboyz
    (female)

thegboyz HB User

mommy5000
    You make me laugh and you made me feel better. You are right about the little things. I need to realize that it's ok. And besides, I don't like doing the little things anyways. I just have to because as you stated they won't get done otherwise. I'm surprised that you had such a hard time finding a doctor to do it. I am going to the University of Michigan to have my surgery done and my son's ENT (associated with another hospital in the same city who also does these and said he does 10 a year) said that he would send his own family members to the ENT doctor that I am going to. When I talked with him last week, I felt better about the doctor I chose. You are trusting a stranger to restore something so vital to life. You are also right when you said that 2 weeks is nothing compared to a lifetime of corrected hearing. I have to keep telling myself that. Here's a question I was wondering about...how long before you could take a shower? Did you have to take a bath at first? I read some posts about putting stuff in the ear but I don't remember how long it was before you could actually shower.

Thanks for adding humor to the situation. It's nice to laugh about things. It helps to loosen the anxiety.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
    mommy5000
    (female)

mommy5000 HB User

well, I will tell ya very quickly (on my way out to my doc appointmennt right now) That I took a bath as soon as I got home (with washing my hair and everything) but that was because i did not want to stand up and my hubby didnt feel like showering with me under these circumstances. After that, showering is no big deal...you take a cotton ball and load it up with vasaline..then take more vasaline and make sure you have a good seal all the way around. I have not had one bit of water in my ear. It is highly effective and cheap. Afterwards I remove the cotton, remove as much vasaline as possible then stick another piece in my ear. I am surprised at how much better it works than the silly putty or plugs and will probably be using that in the summer for my kids when they swim. I am tired of vasaline in my ear all the time and honestly have not even purchased any in years. Now i sit on the couch all valiumed up and vasaline the heck out of my feet and put socks on....cant wait until i can wear my pretty sandals cause my feet are beautiful! will get back to you after my appointment.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #15
    mylesmom
    (female)

mylesmom HB User

First, I want to thank all of you RE: what doctor to use. I will even see if I can find info on the ones from Dallas. I think from here, Dallas is about a 7 hour drive. I will see what my ENT says when I go in. He did tell me he wants me to go to someone who has done many of them, not just i a few. In fact, he words were to be selective.

Mommy, thanks for your example of everyday life; I am glad to see that even when things aren't perfect (or they really ever really are?) you are seeing the great side. Thanks again!

Closed Thread