It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Just had my stapedectomy....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
    Karunch
    (male)

Karunch HB User
    Smile Just had my stapedectomy....

Well I'm new to these boards, as I just found this site the other day. I'm 27, and last year I had been diagnosed with otosclerosis in my right ear. I had between 45db - 60db hearing loss depending on the frequency of the sounds.

I had my stapedectomy on Monday morning. While in the recovery room, for about 20 minutes I had several minutes off and on where everything seemed soooo loud. But it was off and on, and after that 20 minutes I really haven't noticed a difference in my hearing in that ear. That has me kind of worried. Why would I be able to hear out of the ear for a little while after surgery, and then not be able to for a few days afterwards? I'm hoping that once I go on Tuesday and have my packing removed that I will be able to hear out of this ear..

Is that normal to be able to hear for a little bit and then have it go away? I'm thinking maybe that because of blood and all the packing, that maybe my ear is just clogged up... I've also felt like my ear has been popping off and on for the past few days....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
    Melredmom
    (female)

Melredmom HB User
    Smile Re: Just had my stapedectomy...

I just had my stapedectomy (Left ear) done last Wednesday. I had dealt with loss of hearing for about 35 years. I had planned to go back to work today, but after talking with my doctor, we decided I would go back next Monday. I'm just not recovering as quickly as I had expected myself to. I got by without pain meds yesterday and so far today (although I've had some twinges of pain today). All in all this hasn't been an extremely painful experience but it seemed my ear was numb for several days - slowly wore off. I suppose I have some packing in my ear - but my doctor didn't tell me that. I just assume that's what I'm feeling based on what others have said. I don't think I have any exterior stitches. I go back on Tuesday for my first post op exam. I have noticed some increase in hearing although I'm not sure if I'm actually hearing better or if the under water sensation just magnifies the sound. I SEEM to hear some what better already and I just thank God and my doctor for the opportunity to hear again. I'm still somewhat unsteady but not really that dizzy. Just very weak. But getting a bit stronger each day. I have lost feeling and taste on the left side of my tongue and burp a lot. So far no big allergy problems - so haven't sneezed yet. I keep praying I won't need to for a long while. My sneezes are huge so I really don't want to visit that yet. My toughest moment was washing my hair - my husband helped. I've only washed it once since my surgery - tonight will be the 2nd time. I don't look forward to the process but I hate dirty hair! I was wiped out the last time - hopefully I'm a bit stronger. I've heard some strange noises - but I believe that's normal as it is normal to hear at first and then lose sound again - due to the fluids and sweling, packing, etc. My doctor told me it can take weeks to months to completely regain the permanent level of hearing one will have. A disclaimer - I apologize for the rambling - my mind is not really clear so my writing may reflect that. Glad I found this message board - it's a tiny little world for those of us who have had this surgery - not too common so it's nice to have others to talk to or share the experience with.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
    RAY1958
    (male)

RAY1958 HB User
    Re: Just had my stapedectomy....

I had my right ear done back on March 26 2008 and after 3 weeks I can hear like a baby. Hang in there, once the packing is removed or dissolves your hearing will improve. It takes at least 14 days for the packing to dissolve.
    I am having my first hearing test April 24 and I will post the results. This is my second stapedectomy, I had surgery on the left hear 29 years ago.

Last edited by RAY1958; 04-16-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
    Melredmom
    (female)

Melredmom HB User

Thanks for your reply - it's comforting to know this will all be just a memory in a few weeks or months...I just hope I'm not one that has to do a repeat.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
    sooz5724
    (female)

sooz5724 HB User
    Re: Just had my stapedectomy...

I noticed some loss of taste. Did you ever get your taste back on the left side of your tongue? My surgery was done yesterday, May 6th. Very little pain or dizziness. Some nausea/vomiting yesterday, but that's all. Hope you are doing better!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
    thegboyz
    (female)

thegboyz HB User

sooz57
    I had my stapedectomy 9 days ago and the taste thing lasted about a week. It doesn't happen to everyone but I guess sometimes they have to move that taste part away so that they can see what they are doing. Unlike you, I didn't have any nausea/vomiting. I've felt normal ever since the surgery.

So, you prob. have another week of wierd tongue. Hang in there it's day 9 for me and the taste is back to normal.

Kendra
    Day 9

Old 05-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
    stx99999
    (female)

stx99999 HB User

Had my left ear done on April 22. Instant hearing! Lost taste for about 2 weeks but it is better now. Still a little bland. I am having some vibrations in my surgery ear, usually after a loud noise. Anyone have this and will it go away? I had my right ear done 12 years ago and did not have the instant hearing. It took about 3 weeks to get better hearing. This new titatium stapes seems to be a bit boinic!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
    mylesmom
    (female)

mylesmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JR95 View Post
    Hey everyone....just had my Stapedectomy,..After surgery-..EXCUSE MY UNORGANIZED WAY OF sHARING MY EXPERIENCE >>BUT ITS HOW I FEEEL INSIDE

hearing in operated ear was extrememly sensitive for about 20 minutes. I could hear my mothers footsteps in the hospital hallway.

-ear started to swell and hearing went away. blood and fluid build up i guess.

-pretty bad pain i experienced 30 - 40 min after surgery. took meds felt better. ate some hospital food and felt good as new....I got dressed and could have walked out the hospital but was wheeled out...

-on car ride home, felt no pain whatsoever felt great...once getting into my appartment I started to really feel the VERTIGO ...fucked me up pretty bad....had to really really try very hard not to let myself throwup the hospital food as i didnt want to **** up the surgically repaired ear.

-took dramamine and pain killers and fell asleep for 15 hours.

1st day after surgery

-woke up and felt like ****....NO PAIN BUt worse SENSE of INbALLANCE...this **** is almost as bad as pain....feeling like you might fall and throwup all over yourself sucks hairy moose balls...

-i ate some soup and bread and was ok but had to keep my head down on a pillow as the vertigo was really bad...

2nd day after surgery

-it is the night of the 2nd day after surgery and i am feelin sick as I am typing on my computer....******* diizzzy man...shoot me in the head,,,this **** ******* sucks....

-this morning i woke up after 14 hours of sleep as the bed is the only place i dont feel nautious....THERE IS NO PAIN>>>BUT VERTIGO IS SOMEWHAT OF A PAINFUL EXPERIENCE...

- i have to say i feel a little better ...but my ear is completley plugged with fluids and can't really hear ****....\

- can't wait for post-op exam ...take this **** out my ear and hopefully i will hear better...this vertigo **** is really ******* with me....i hope it goes away AND NEVEr COMES BACK>>>**** U VERTIGO

3rd day after operation-

FEEL SOO MUCH BETTER...as far as the dizziness...i feel like it is almost gone.....but still feel reminants of it....

-CAn't hear anything out of operated EAR!!!...I am nervous....should I be???....I coughed and moved my jaw a little and nOW i am concerned that the prosthesis is out of place....??is that possible/???...would the doctors not make sure that the thing is reallly tight in there??...I want to make sure everything is going according to schedule...I dont want to wait 2 weeks and find out i need to operate on it again???....MAN THIS **** SUCKS
    I hope that you feel better soon, especially with the vertigo. I am going for a consultation with a surgeon in New Orleans who does the operation ofter. I think most people I tell about my needing an ear surgery associate needing this surgery with something minor like putting ear tubes. When I start telling them about the problems after, I am not sure that they believe me or think I am exaggerating I think I may print out your response so they can read for themselves some of the possible problems. I may even print out some of the other threads on stapedectomies.

Again, I hope you feel better soon, and I do remember reading that other people were also worried that their hearing would not improve and that the prostheses was possible out of place. Most of them wound up finding out later when the packing was removed / dissolved that hearing was much better. Hang in and keep us posted.

Last edited by mylesmom; 05-18-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
    JR95
    (male)

JR95 HB User

Hey MYLESMOM....thanks for the info....I am feeling a lot better than I had the first couple of days....On a scale from 1-10...10 being how i felt the first couple of days....I am at about a 3...I am still a bit dizzy but I don't feel like throwing up or hating life lol...I can't wait for the packing to come out....

ONE QUESTION:

I was wondering if you or anyone here knows if I can smoke being 5 days post-op......all info much appreciated....thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
    sooz5724
    (female)

sooz5724 HB User

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. I went to get packing out and it was stuck, the doc couldn't get it out without severe pain! I had to put baby oil in my ear for a week. I went back yesterday and finally got the packing out! My hearing is better, but my ear still feels very strange. I can hear my heart beating in my ear and I still feel like there is something in there. I go back next week for my hearing test. Anyone else have problems after surgery?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
    stx99999
    (female)

stx99999 HB User

Sorry to hear about the packing problem-that had to hurt! I had disolving packing, which was very nice. I only had the outer bandage and cotton to remove. My doctor did remove a little gunk at my week appointment, but no pain. Did your Dr. put you on an antibiotic eardrop? I used that for about a month post-op.
    The swooshing noises are common with the healing process. You are still less than 3 weeks post-op - right? Give it another week or so and you should have much clearer sounds.
    Good luck!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
    Woland
    (male)

Woland HB User

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this board, it's been really helpful to me.

I had my stapedectomy two days ago, on Thursday the 22nd. My doctor said it went very well and next Thursday I go in for my first follow-up.

Yesterday was amazing. After being prepared by a friend to be completely dizzy and spend the whole day vomiting, I had no dizziness at all. In fact, I felt better than I had in weeks and joked that I should have surgery every day. On the hearing side, I could hear every heartbeat in my left ear (which was operated on). My only other symptom was that my sense of taste was muted. Cream cheese tasted like butter and so on.

Today I woke up feeling a little worse for wear, with a bit of unsteadiness but not true dizziness. What's new is that the hearing in my right ear -- the good ear -- is strange. Conductive hearing in this ear is greatly amplified -- when I brush my teeth, chew, even when water from the shower hit my back, it's really loud. Has anyone experienced temporary or permanent changes to the hearing in their good ear after a stapedectomy to their weak ear?

I also don't hear my heart beat today in my left ear, which had the surgery. But when I wiggle the cotton in that ear I hear a sound, so I guess it's OK.

I've had hearing loss in my left ear from birth (I'm 46) and have worn a hearing aid for many years. My doctor said I was a very strong candidate for a stapedectomy and he did a great job on my friend's two ears, so I'm hoping for the best. I'll post updates over the next few weeks, and thanks to everyone who has posted previously!

Last edited by Woland; 05-24-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Fix typo.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
    stx99999
    (female)

stx99999 HB User

The taste thing is still giving me some trouble after 5 weeks, but the trade-off for hearing is well worth it!
    On the changes with your non-surgery ear. I do notice some more ringing in that side, but I think is was always there, just not as noticable when my surgery ear was so bad.
    Good Luck with your continued recovery!
    Kristin

Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
    Woland
    (male)

Woland HB User

My surgery was last Thursday the 22nd so I'm on day 7. Today my doctor removed the gel on the outside of my ear drum, but the gel behind the ear drum is obviously still there and he said it can take a few weeks to dissolve.

While I have better hearing in my ear, it's almost all in the low register and at times it's nearly overwhelming. It seems to be entirely conductive hearing and when the toilet flushes or I'm on a subway or there's a fan blowing, in some ways its actually harder to hear overall because the conductive hearing fills my head with rumbling. I'm not sure I'm making sense, but that's the best I can describe it. Also, the hearing in the ear that had the surgery is very muffled and indistinct even if the volume has increased.

Have those of you who've gone through this already experienced these issues early on in recovery? I'm hoping that when the inner gel dissolves my new hearing will become much clearer and much more "open" and spacious.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
    TXMommy27
    (female)

TXMommy27 HB User

My stapedectomy was yesterday! My first real surgery, so I was nervous. When I woke up in recovery, I was SOOO dizzy. My ear did not hurt at first, but started to after a few minutes. The nurse was unsympathetic about the room spinning, but gave me something when I told her it was making me nauseous (gotta use the right language, I guess). Gave me something for the pain too, but I think it just made me sleep...i.e. shut up. Moved me to a room, where another nurse gave me phenergan shot for the nausea, some vicodin. Nausea went away, but pain didn't let up at all. (sidenote: I had ear infections OFTEN as a child, and even in college, and the pain feels a lot like that - sometimes more intense, sometimes bearable.) I finally realized that I could feel miserable at home, so I nibbled the graham cracker and sipped the sprite they gave me, used the bathroom, and checked out. The car ride home was horrible, but I could really tell that I could hear! I had my left ear done, and in the car I could hear my husband speaking quite well - he said he was talking pretty softly. That was good news - I can especially tell the hearing is better when I don't wear the hearing aid in the other ear.
    When I got home I took two of the Vicodin my doc had prescribed and went to bed. Woke up about an hour later feeling almost good as new. I ate a little bit - more graham crackers, since I really didn't want to throw up. Doc gave me some dissolvable anti-nausea pills, so I took one of those, and that helped. The rest of the night I felt "great" - my ear felt better, and I could walk around slowly. I even talked to my mom on the phone - with my newly operated ear! It was a bit muffled, due to the gauze - and who knows what else - in my ear, but that was exciting! Before going to bed, I didn't take anything for pain...it was pretty mild, but my body felt a little sluggish, due to all the meds I had taken all day. Dropped off to sleep with no probs.

This morning, I probably should take some more Vic. Ear is hurting moderately, just above the bearable point. The doc also prescribed valium - what is that for? I am going to call and find out - the directions say take 3x a day, but that is a lot of valium, seems like. I would like to stay lucid, and I don't have any vertigo right now. Is the valium supposed to help with vertigo? If so, why doesn't it say "as needed"?

Good news: I was wakened this morning by the telephone! Laying on my right "good" ear, and heard the phone with my operated ear! It was loud too - the great significance of this is that, w/o my hearing aids, I never heard the phone ring in my house! I am taking it easy this week - my mom and sister are here to help with my 3 kids - and am going to enjoy whatever pampering I can get. Yesterday was fairly miserable, and I thought there was no way I would do it again on my right ear, but now I feel a lot better and think I can handle a little misery so both ears can hear this well! (I'm a teacher, so it will have to be next summer for the right ear.)

Sorry for rambling - it's cool to know someone else might read this that has had - or will soon have - these experiences. Can't wait to get through the next few weeks! My doc gave me good info, but is not a man of many words. If my ENT had not strongly recommended him (he does a LOT of these) and I hadn't found this board, I would have probably chickened out. So thanks!!

Shari

Closed Thread