It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy - what is the packing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
    Melredmom
    (female)

Melredmom HB User
    Question Stapedectomy - what is the packing?

Having read some other threads, folks keep mentioning the packing, about it desolving, being taken out, falling out and having to be replaced - what is this packing made out of - what if it does fall out? Does it hurt when the doc removes it, etc? I have my first follow up appt next Tuesday - so I'm sure this will be part of the experience...but just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
    Monicas667
    (female)

Monicas667 HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy - what is the packing?

Hi Melredmom!

The packing is primarily just a gel glob to help seal up the drum. It can dissolve, but sometimes requires the doctor to remove it. I haven't heard of it falling out on its own (it reallys sticks to the ear drum), but don't think it's a big issue as long as a cotton ball stays in the ear to protect it and keep it clean.

My doctor had to remove the packing in my ear with a tiny vacuum. It was a weird experience and I kept picturing him suctioning my ear drum, but it's a minor procedure. The noise and sensation was the worse, though my ear was a little sore afterwards. Nothing major that even required aspirin.

Good luck!

Monica

Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
    Melredmom
    (female)

Melredmom HB User

Eeeek! I'm almost sorry I asked.

Actually I'm glad it will stay in place - whatever it is - because I more fear something coming out that shouldn't then something being suctioned out by the doctor. Actually my doctor instructed me to only wear the cotton as long as it was draining or while bathing but not otherwise. However, when I go out in the wind or in public I wear the cotton - more for noise and germ protection than anything else. And of course on the outside chance it would start draining again. Actually feeling pretty good today - it's 9 days post op and I actually did some light cleaning, washing, straightening up around the house today. No heavy lifting or bending or noise-y stuff. Although my ear still feels clogged, it is almost getting to an itchy point - like any wound when it starts healing - not to the point I need to scratch - but just that I'm aware of it. I hope that's not a bad thing. No drainage of any kind that I can see. And no pain today - a little yesterday. Hopefully the worst is behind me. Sorry for going on and on - guess i'm getting a little stir crazy. :-) Thanks for the info!!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
    thegboyz
    (female)

thegboyz HB User

melredmom

Thanks for sharing. My operation is on Monday and I need all the info. I can get. I've read so much but it never hurts to read more. It seems everyone is different so just knowing each experience has helped me to be prepared as best I can.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
    Melredmom
    (female)

Melredmom HB User

Hope all is going well with you so far. I'm on week 3 - almost 3 - weeks since surgery. I'm not having anymore pain (knock on wood) but the pain has not been horrible anyway - more sore than achy if that makes sense. But regardless, no pain meds much since about the first 10 days. And really the only reason I took the Rx meds is that they worked a bit better than tylenol - really probably could have survived on OTC meds.

I got my packing out last Tuesday - quite an experience for sure. The packing stuck to my ear and pulled the scab off - but I haven't heard of anyone else's doing that. So I doubt you need to be concerned - but anyway just kind of freaked me out but didn't hurt all that much. My doctor said everyone is different - one of his patients was about normal the next day - others are like me and take 2-3 weeks (or somewhere in between) to get moving sort of normal again. So I will be anxious to know how your's went.

I still hear some crackling and "fluid" like sounds...and pressure but not pain. But as concerning as it is to me, the doctor said I'm healing fine. So I suppose I am. I think I will see very good results with this - everyone already says I have bionic hearing. But I will say when the packing came out - sounds literally frightened me. I haven't heard in my left ear in 30+ years. Things are/were extremely loud, harsh, and sort of metalic sounding with the added effect of echo - lower tones seem to be more offensive than high pitched - not sure why except that I could hear very high pitched sounds if they were amplified enough - so maybe those sounds are not so foreign to my left ear and lower tones??? Just grasping at straws here - no clue really. So I feel blessed that at least some if not all hearing will be restored, but I can't say I'd want to repeat the process again anytime soon - maybe never. Anyway, day by day, sounds seem less harsh - looking forward to the day that everything evens out.

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress. Take care!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
    thegboyz
    (female)

thegboyz HB User

melredmom

I had a great experience today. The doctor noticed while in surgery that my ear drum was thin so he did some patchwork to thicken it. He told my husband that it will take longer for me to heal because of the ear drum being operated on.

When I got home I slept for 4 hours then felt relatively normal. I am afraid that I'm speaking a little prematurely though. I have been helping take care of my four little boys today so I'm afraid I've outdone myself. I have arranged for my husband to take off for the week to help me out with the the kids. I have a 10 month old and a 2 year old that still need to be picked up a lot (more the baby then the toddler). I also have a 4 and 5 year old. So, I thought I'd be overwhelmed today and haven't thus far.

We'll see what tomorrow brings......keep ya posted.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
    paula56
    (female)

paula56 HB User
    Talking Re: Stapedectomy - what is the packing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Melredmom View Post
    Having read some other threads, folks keep mentioning the packing, about it desolving, being taken out, falling out and having to be replaced - what is this packing made out of - what if it does fall out? Does it hurt when the doc removes it, etc? I have my first follow up appt next Tuesday - so I'm sure this will be part of the experience...but just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
    paula56
    (female)

paula56 HB User

Melredmom,
    I had my stapedectomy done on Friday 6-13-08. I believe it is going well. I hear some hissing and something like a tinging, a few cherping sounds. Most of the time I do not hear anything. As far as the packing I am not sure what it is made of but my surgeon is having me use these drops called Ofloxacin. 4 drops X 4 daily for one week. Then return for followup visit. to have remaining packing removed. He will test the hearing at this appointmnet. No pain. No drama. The cotton has small traces of blood and nearly clear dainage. This morning there was a very small amount of tissue. I completly underestimated the debility. I went to work the next day much to my husband's distress. I work with seniors and did not want to dissapoint them. I drove myself and was not dizzy. I was a little tried for the first week. I am a public speaker. My work is not strenuous. I take meclinzine HCI 25 mg tablets if I get dizzy(not more than 2 per day). I had only a few days this past two week that I have been dizzy. The only side effect that I have been concerned about was some occasional numbess to the ear and a tinny taste in my mouth. I also had two days half of my tongue went numb and I had cotton mouth. Post two weeks I am feeling great. I am looking forward to hearing again. My husband is taking me to a Neal Diamond concert in celebration this fall. The doctor said to bring ear plugs to help with certain loud noises from the drums. I wish you the best at your follow up appointment. Kind regards, Paula56

Closed Thread