It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy after lifelong hearing loss?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Stapedectomy after lifelong hearing loss?

This thread is for all of you who have had a Stapedectomy. Have any of you had a successful Stapedectomy on an ear that has lifelong hearing loss?

I have a new ENT and Audiologist who think that I may be able to regain some hearing in an ear that has severe hearing loss with a Stapedectomy. I'm not sure if it is worth the cost of a CAT scan and surgery. I'm almost 39 and my brain does not have all the connections to be able to use any hearing I may gain. With the Stapedectomy and a hearing aid, they think I may be able to understand some speech in my bad ear. I'm trying to weigh whether or the potential for success is really there. I had an Audiologist tell me a couple years ago that any brain connections for hearing that aren't there by 40, well never be able to be developed. Even if I gained some hearing back, would I ever be able to be able to make good use of it to understand speech or tell direction?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread