It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy no loud voices or noise 5 days

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User
    Stapedectomy no loud voices or noise 5 days

Hi all i had my procedure on the 21st and now 5 days in Iím experiencing very little sound

The first day i had the sound of my voice in my head loud and all the squishing as well ,but the next day that went away is that a bad sign

Its been the same since and Iím a little stressed out

form what i read on this forum the loud voice is supposed to be a good thing but what about if it goís away?

has anyone experienced this before

Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy no loud voices or noise 5 days

Hi, Feast.
    I posted same message on Vadaar.....sorry.

I'm on day 23 since my op and still haven't experienced anything major so I am still crossing my fingers as well. For a few days not long after my op I lost the "voice" in my head and it came back again about 7 days later. So don't worry there.
    I would say same as Vadaar and reckon its the packing they use at the front and behind the ear drum plus what all else is happening around the area where the prosthesis is.
    I wouldn't worry yet. I'm doing what most people on here have advised me - to be patient. I knows its easier said than done, more so when you read stories of people here getting hearing back almost instantly. I found these stories great, but also have found they can also depress me because I am expecting too much too soon. We're all different in our recovery time, different surgeons, methods, hospital, etc and the list goes on. Techniques in USA are obviously different from UK.
    I'm in the UK and have used a surgeon called (I can pm you his name as I think we are unable to put names on here) based in Scotland. He told me his success rate was 99.75. Sounds impressive I know. He said he does on average 6-12 ops per year. Not an impressive amount of patients. Said he was unable to use laser at the time of my op and had to use "tools" instead. Anyway, I think I have a very slight increase in hearing at the moment and cracking noises are getting more today for some reason. I was also told it could take from 3-6 months for it to get better. At which point I am supposed experience my ear "opening" I have no idea.
    I have to go back in 4 weeks time to see the surgeon. Hopefully my hearing has improved some more by then.
    Just take your time and relax. What other experiences have you had since the op, taste, dizzy, tinnitus?
    All the best.
    Steve.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

hi steve
    Thanks so much or your info Iím really starting to stress a little its day 6 now and im still the same

I have had a funny taste in my mouth and loss of feeling on my tongue Iím not dizzy but just a little light headed at times

Al in all i feel really good my operated ear feels good today yesterday i had a little pain but iv also noticed that i have a ringing in my ear (which was their before the op)

My problem is that my other ear is also effected and i canít hear from it as well so Iím stuck at home as the operate ear was the one i had my aid in and i cant use it now Iím actually now very concerned as it takes at least 3 weeks to obtain a new aid and i canít sit at home that long or ill lose my job

You said that the loud noise come back on the 7th day did it last or did it go away

Are we also to assume that without that loud noise that the procedure didnít work

you now have some hereing whaen did that come back

ross

Old 09-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User

Hi, feast.
    As you probably read the funny taste and frozen tongue should fade away gradually. Mine is getting less noticeable. I was light headed too on and off, not dizzy, sorry.
    My pain comes and goes and also seems to get less as the days go on.

My tinnitus ringing disappeared for a good few days after the op then appeared back. I also had it before the op. Its maybe now not as loud as it used to be which is good. I also read on hear that it could get even less noisy or even disappear once the hearing comes back. I am not too worried if it stays with me as I would happily live with it as long as the hearing comes back.

My own loud "voice in my head" came back and has stayed with me so far. Some days it appears louder. I think its the packing in the ear still not dissolved properly. I also read on this forum that hearing your own voice is a good sign. Signs of major dizzyness and lots of blood from the ear would be bad and to contact the hospital right away.

Before your op if you couldn't hear your voice very well without the aid, but can now I would think its a good sign...even if its gone away it will come back.
    Before the op my head voice sounded muffled when I spoke. Its now quite clear when I speak (in my head only). I still have hearing on my right ear with some loss so I am lucky that i only used the aid on the operated ear.

I thinks its still too early for you to to worry and everything appears normal which is good. I am finding that being patient is the only way to go. Once things settle down inside your ear I am sure you will feel things are moving forward.... maybe slowly, but forward is the word I like to use.
    My hearing hasn't came back as such, just a slight improvement. I am still waiting for the "ear to open" as some describe it on here. Once you get the packing out i am sure you will find some improvement even if its very tiny. I've been scratching the cotton ball in my ear which appears quite loud even through all the packing so I am taking that as a good sign too. Let me know if you hear that too. I have to change the cotton each time I add in antibiotic drops.
    Most seem to get hearing right away and state its too loud.
    Hopefully you will experience that too. How long before the packing comes out?

I'm sorry that your operated ear is the aid one as that must cause you added stress regards your job.
    Were you given a time to go back to work from your surgeon? Does your work involve lifting weights or an office type? Even using an elevator can cause your operated ear problems and might stop if from working.
    Make sure you get all the proper info from the surgeon if he hasn't already given you it.
    I've been off work 3 weeks and 2 days so far and still have normal discharge from my ear.
    I have heavy lifting to do at work so I am lucky that I am able to take the time off. Ask your employer if you can have your annual holidays if they wont pay you when you are off ill. At least that will give you time to relax.

Do you plan to get your other ear done or does that one have sensory problems instead?
    Have look around the forum and see what everyone else is saying and ask them too. That's what we are all here for....we all have had this op and all know how you feel.
    Keep in touch.... be patient...easier said than done, I know it only too well
    Steve.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

G day Steve your making good sense and its settled me down ...thanks for the scratch the cotton wool trick, that helped allot i heard it just faintly, but still something i guess that means that somethingís working in their ..

My doctor told me one week out of action and then back to work judging by what im reading thatís not going to be the case

The elevator might be a problem i live in an apartment building with a lift its only 4 levels and im not using it at the moment but how long do i have to wait

Mate once again thanks for your help its good to no Iím not alone i wish you all the best with you recovery

Ross

Old 09-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User

Cheers, Ross. Hope we've all helped in one way or another.

I'm not too sure how long it is until you can use an elevator as we are all given different times, so it worth checking with the surgeon or his secretary who can pass on the message incase he/she is too busy to answer direct.

Glad the info its helped settle you down. I know exactly how you feel. High expectations and then cant get any symptoms of reassurance is a total nightmare. Plus we've also that fear at the other end of our thoughts losing the hearing completely.

Unless I am going crazy, but last night i tilted my head towards my left shoulder (my ear op side) and started counting and I'm sure my voice got even more loud to the point I thought I was actually hearing it outside of my head and through the ear. I cant find anyone else on the forum with this experience. (shows I have too much time on my hands Its worth trying to see if anything happens. Before the op I would hear muffled talk in my head doing the same thing.

Today I'm having an increase of noise from inside the ear of mild cracking when I swallow or gulp... what ever that means I have no idea, but it was not there before the op so I am taking that as a good sign there is movement inside my ear.

Here's hoping something tiny or even more happens daily to keep your spirits up.

All the best mate, and enjoy the time off work....patience
    Steve.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

Hay Steve thought id up date you on something i tried and found i had sound in my ear

The cotton wool info prompted the idea along with you turning you head and talking i tried this to and its weird as i cant make out if sound is coming from the inside of my head or out i think itís out

Let me tell you what happened after ..i was brushing my teeth with an electric tooth brush and remembered reading about the sound fork that the doctors used on someone in the forum to test if the ear was working ...i know this is a little strange but hay at the moment itís all strange , i couldnít hear the electric tooth brush in my opp ear however when i placed it to the back of my head just behind the ear guess what I HEARD IT PERFECTLY !! like it was coming from the outside when i took it of my head the sound was not there , put it back and i could hear it again

What the hell does this mean, is the ear working have you had the sound fork done by your doctor, has anyone else experience this

Anyhow its put a smile on my face

Ross

Old 09-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
    Vadaar
    (male)

Vadaar HB User

The electric toothbrush vibration is bone conduction - it means that your inner ear is working. That's a good sign - it means that the operation didn't mess up your inner ear! Now you've just got to get some air conduction going through the middle ear. I had the exact same issue - I'm not back to my pre-op hearing yet, but it definitely gets better over time (slowly!) - just have to be patient.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

Hi vadeer thanks for that info its good to know what is going on

This morning i had a little sound Iím my ear from the TV and radio its still the same now and very faint but itís the first time I could hear anything form this ear without the aid
    When you say youíre not over your pre opp hearing yet do you mean you could hear better prior to the opp

For me i could not here the person in front of me or anything else for that matter i was pretty much deaf

Cheers
    r

Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
    Vadaar
    (male)

Vadaar HB User

Good morning Feast,

Yes - you understood me correctly: my hearing was better prior to the operation than it is now. That ear wasn't deaf by any means, but I've been wearing a hearing aid in it for about 6 years now.

One thing I'm definitely grasping from reading this forum is that everyone's recovery is different! I think we just have to sit it out and see how things go.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

hi vadaar how long have you been waiting for it to come back

iv been deaf in that ear for 13 years so a liitle more wont hurt

ross

Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
    Vadaar
    (male)

Vadaar HB User

I had my operation on the 10th, so it's been 16 days now.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

mate all the best i hope it ome back soon

Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User

Hi, Ross. Sorry for the slow reply. Glad you got some hearing back, small as it is. Anything is better than nothing to keep our spirits up.
    Looks like everything is working good. Vaddar was right about the sound coming through the ear bone to create its sound and it is good too. Means the op was a success as far as not losing any of the inner ear fluids.

I've had a couple of loud openings in my ear which nearly knocked me over.... pleasantly of course.
    I'm still getting the cracking or more like cellophane being crumpled near my ear.
    I'm hearing a little better too, not loud and clear, but I am sure once the ear opens I will be. Its a great feeling that more noise is appearing. Even my voice sounds like its traveling through the ear now instead of from inside it.
    I am still taking the antibiotic drops, even on day 26, until the cracking stops.
    For me I was told it could take anything up to 6 months for the full benefits to show. Not a problem at all As you are finding too patience is the order of the day

Any more good news? Are you back to work yet? I'm going back next week.
    Cheers mate,
    Steve.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #15
    feast
    (male)

feast HB User

Hi Steve hope your well, that's awesome that you getting the sound back after all the wait, it's well worth it I have had some amazing improvements every day for the last few days I had a little more sound in my ear and then today it started popping mate thanks god for this board and all the people who have told their story about ears popping as it scared the hell out of me, and then i realised that i had more sound Any way it only lasted a few minutes and went away but it was a great few minuets

Now as i was writing this email to you i had another pop a huge one and its absolutely amazing i can hear so much better it's still very blocked sound a bit like having a water logged ear but sound none the less

I have this week of and hope to go back next week only on half days all good

Ill keep you informed on my progression and wish you all the best with your recovery let me know how its pans out for you

Ross

Closed Thread