It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy surgery tomorrow morning (Oct 16)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
    mmslc
    (male)

mmslc HB User
    Stapedectomy surgery tomorrow morning (Oct 16)

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning(October 16) at 10:30 . I am pretty excited to finally be getting it done. But I am also pretty dang nervous tonight! lol I am ready hole up in bed for a few days and make the best of it. There is a stack of movies next to the bed and I will keep my laptop handy.

I am so glad I found this message board the users are great here -- its a wealth of information and support.

If anyone has any recovery advice/stories/or whatever please feel free to share I will keep my progress posted.

(crossing-fingers)

Last edited by mmslc; 10-15-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy surgery tomorrow morning (Oct 16)

Hi, mmslc.
    Good luck! I had mine done Sept 2nd and all is going good.
    Enjoy the rest and watching the movies. It will also help the healing.

I certainly agree with you, this message board is a wealth of knowledge/help/support.
    It gave me a good idea what to expect after my op. So all going well for you things should start buzzing soon. Do as the surgeon tells you and you'll be well on your way to recovery and more importantly getting some hearing back.

My op was different from a lot of people in that quite a lot in here got their hearing back fairly quickly where as mine took about 3 weeks. I had a general anesthetic where most had a local and were awake. So dont worry if you dont hear within a couple of days like many on here. The one peice of advice that sticks in my mind from here is that sacred word "patience". We're all different in our recovery time along with surgeons techniques. My op was in the UK.
    Keep looking around the message board and you'll get even more information on any recovery problems.
    Let us know what you experienced too as it will most certainly help someone somewhere.

Another good thing to remember too is the majority of us have all went through what you are going through so understand it completely.
    As another member from here reminded me its very stressfull what we put ourselves through having this op. The highs along with some lows, a range of experiences for sure

All the best with the op.
    Steve.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
    Laureen
    (female)

Laureen HB User

Best of luck from me too! Get the hearing back soon!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
    mmslc
    (male)

mmslc HB User

Its done. Back home now feeling pretty good all and all. Not to much pain in my ear and I not dizzy. The exception is that I have a MAJOR headache. Starting some movies soon

After the operation I was hoping I would be able to hear before the selling kicked in. But nothing.

Thanks for the replies. How is your hearing now arronsteve?

Last edited by mmslc; 10-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
    mmslc
    (male)

mmslc HB User

Feeling pretty good this morning. Not to much pain anymore. I woke up with allot of drainage from last night. My throat is the thing that hurts the most. I guess I have something usual about my throat and it took them over an hour to get the tube in (so my throat feels totally worked!).

Sounds are weeeeeeeeeeeeeird! Its like there is a strange echo. I think its my "new" ear picking up sound.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
    niteskylover
    (female)

niteskylover HB User

hello everyone...i am new to this board ...i'm having a stapedectomy on MONDAY, Oct. 19th and I am really getting so nervous!!! I'm 44 have had otosclerosis probably 20 years or so? Getting to the point where i can't hear my 6 year old read to me...time to fix!! Getting it done in Manhattan...anyone else go to PACC for this? I dont know, the closer it gets, the more freaked out i am getting, BUT reading here has helped....i think??? ok, i will check in after surgery, spending night at my sisters after surgery then I will be home Tuesday. Hopefully i will be well enough to check in....I think i'm mostly afraid of being totally knocked out..then of throwing up since bending and pressure to head are no no's after surgery....ok, someone tell me it's all going to be ok...... thank you all again for your suggestions and stories.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
    mmslc
    (male)

mmslc HB User

hello niteskylover,

I am 41 (so just a bit behind you). I was totally freaking out too! It really helped to do something to distract my mind (a concert one night and movies the next).

The operation was no biggie -- I was put out also. Promise don't sweat it!

I think every recovery is different but I that it is typically not too bad. My pain and nausea were minimal (I was never even close to throwing up). I think my worst side effects were from the general anesthesia wearing off and not the ear operation itself. am going stir crazy because I feel pretty good and want to get out and do things but know I need to wait (I am a pretty active person).

I am the kind of person that likes to just deal with things as the come up -- a bit spontaneous. So planning a surgery way in advance is kind of hard for me. Because I keep thinking about the day coming up. But once the date gets there I tend to relax and just "go with it" -- bet you will too. Go do something really fun today and pot back how your doing. And let us all know how your surgery goes for sure!

Last edited by mmslc; 10-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
    niteskylover
    (female)

niteskylover HB User

thanks mmsic....today i am cleaning the house, getting everything ready for the week...you know, writing detailed notes for husband as to where the kids are going and when tonight will be when i really start freaking out, going to my sisters...she is closer to NYC, i'm bringing the movie The Proposal, so that ought to distract me for a while. Thank you for your encouraging words, it's helpful. I think I am most freaked out about the general anesthesia.... at this point? i just want it done...reading these boards has helped me though i'll post again after procedure!!! biting nails here.....

Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User

Hi mmsci.
    Sorry for slow reply I was away for the weekend.

Looks like you are on your way to hearing again
    I didn't have a sore throat as I think my op was straight forward. Just light head and some pain in the ear.

My hearing has improved and still is getting better although I dont know why mine is slower than others, but I am not complaining as it keeps going the right way.

I'm sure all your throat pain will get better. I was on paracetamol to dull my pain.

Dont get too active or you might do some harm to the ear. I'm sure the surgeon told you what you can and cant do. Just enjoy the chill out as once the hearing gets better I'm sure you will have tons to do.

All the best and hope things get even better.
    Steve.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
    niteskylover
    (female)

niteskylover HB User

It's over!!! I had the procedure yesterday in Manhattan and it went well. I was pretty scared, knees shaking and all. I had general anesthesia and when i woke up just felt groggy, no pain or nasuea. Was a bit tired from the anesthesia, went to sleep at 9pm with just tylenol and a pill for nausea, just in case. I have had no dizziness OR nausea at all!!! Today i feel fine, i can just hear my pulse in my ear, but that is it. Other than that I feel great! I think the hardest part is going to be remembering not to bend and to take it easy...i have 3 young girls! Oh, also, i have had no tinny taste when i eat which i read that some others have had. I wonder...because i feel this good now, can I expect it to continue? Can the nausea or dizziness come later? Please, tell me NO! I have the ear packed right now so I am not sure how my hearing is. My doctor said 'things could not have gone any better'. Whew, what a sigh of relief. Reading these boards before surgery really helped alleviate most anxiety I was feeling. More later

Last edited by niteskylover; 10-20-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
    mmslc
    (male)

mmslc HB User

Glad it went well nightskylover!

I have still been pretty much pain/nausea free as well. The only exception being that I think I over did it a bit last night and have been a bit sore since then (Taking it easy now I will tell ya!) So I bet as long as you take it easy your lack of pain/nausea will continue (Crossing my fingers for you).

Every now and then my ear will "open up" a bit and I will hear a bit of sound coming in. Love it! I can hardly wait for more.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User

Hi, niteskylover. Congrats on the op and hope all gets better soon.

Just a little suggestion. Maybe you should start your own thread with your op date so we can all see how you progress?
    I'm sure we'd all like to read how you alone are getting on and any new experiences as lots of us will miss it since you are writing along with mmsic and myself which is still great
    All the very best and well done!!
    Steve.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
    niteskylover
    (female)

niteskylover HB User

oops!! i've never done one these boards before and thought i was just adding on to one viewed by most...did not mean to intrude on you two!!! I will figure out how to start a new thread..sorry!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
    mmslc
    (male)

mmslc HB User

Hey niteskylvoer -- I am not quite sure how the board works myself -- but the prospect of sharing the experience along with others having the surgery at the same time really appealed to me. We can compare notes then with someone else experiencing the same things at the same time. So personally I would love it if you kept on posting on this thread. But if you would prefer to start a new one I understand that as well.

..and I am glad your doing well!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #15
    aaron778
    (male)

aaron778 HB User

lol niteskylover its never an intrusion on here on any message board.
    As mmsic says it would be best to start your own thread as people will want to follow your progress from the start and in this thread they wont see your own individual comments. Write away in here because I write in others since I had the same op done and know how it feels too. As you can see I have to reply to you through mmsic thread.

mmsic. hope all is going well. I seem to be having more taste problems lately...strange one as the hearing is still slowly improving. The taste is like I have eaten something much too hot. No metallic taste as some say on here. I cant even blame my wifes cooking since she's a little ill at the moment and I have to cook myself. For the moment I am "king of the tin opener"

All the best,
    Steve.

Closed Thread