It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Otosclerosis and birth control pill?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
    lwowk
    (female)

lwowk HB User
    Otosclerosis and birth control pill?

I was diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears.

In reading to learn more I found that pregnancy is said to make the hearing loss occur faster but I have found nothing mentioned about birth control pills. I have been pregnant three times and noticed a marked difference in my hearing after each of my pregnancies. I have also been on birth control pills on and off over the years and now am wondering if they are safe to continue.

Has anyone ever hear of birth control pills doing the same thing? My ENT and my GYN could not answer this question for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
    calimomma
    (female)

calimomma HB User
    Re: Otosclerosis and birth control pill?

Hi,

I also noticed symptoms of otosclerosis after pregnancies. I have never taken birth control pills. I have read there is a connections between the high hormone levels of pregnancy and otosclerosis. I would think the same effect happens with birth control pills, since birth control pills are made of the same hormones your body produces during pregnancy (estrogen). Birth control pills trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, therefore you do not ovulate. This is all done chemically...I would think if there really is a connection between pregnancy and otosclerosis, then there may be one between birth control pills and and otosclerosis.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
    ChrystalinTtown
    (female)

ChrystalinTtown HB User

I have Otosclerosis in both ears, or I did until my Stapendectomy 3 weeks ago. I have never been pregnant and have taken birth control for 13 years. My Dr. did ask if I had ever been pregnant because that speeds the degeneration of the inner ear bone when you have Otosclerosis, however he never asked about my use of birth control. My dr. was extremely thorough with every detail so I'm certain if birth control were an issue, he would have asked. Good luck if you decide to have the Stapendectomy. Mine was worth it!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
    scgirlgwd
    (female)

scgirlgwd HB User

I have never thought about birth control pills assoc with otosclerosis but that is a logical thought??? I took birth control pills with a LOW dose of estrogen for about 5 years before having my first child. Although hereditary (my grandmother, father, and aunt), I feel it was the pregnancy that "triggered" mine.

Six months after giving birth, I felt as if my left ear became blocked with wax or something and my stereo did not sound right at all. (I now know that was probably when the stapes bone completely stopped vibrating b/c of the calcification). I was 23 years old. Doc said that I should wait until I was closer to 40 before having the surgery and completely done having children. Otosclerosis is very active in the younger years and affected by hormones. The doctor who performed my stapedectomies seemed to disagree with the age thing but agreed about the pregnancy part.

No one ever asked about birth control and I have not seen anything about it in all of my "googling" on the internet. After 3 pregnancies and at age 39, I had my first one done in Oct 2009 and most recently had my other ear done Dec 28th, 2009. Good luck with whatever route you decide to take My father had a successful stapedectomy 20 years ago which gives me a lot of hope for the future of my hearing!!
    ~Angie

Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
    cricketmichele
    (female)

cricketmichele HB User

I had always had a weird sensation and crackling noise in my left ear since I was about 13, I am now 28. Didn't think anything of it until last year when I was diagnosed with Otosclerosis after waking up one day and feeling like my left ear was stopped up. Went about my business, not alarmed, until it started to affect me at work. I am a dental assistant and some equipment, the ultrasonic and handpiece noises, caused my ear drum to rattle and buzz. I could no longer hear what was going on down the hall I became very anxious and my nerves were shot! Family physician said it was allergies, prescribed nose spray and said in 2 weeks it would be better. Well, it got worse. Went to ENT, on my own assumption, where he said ears looked fine prescribed some steroids and claimed in 2 weeks it should get better. After a week and a half, I lost my cool. My nerves were tore up! Couldn't hear but some loud noises made me wanna jump out of my skin! Went back to ENT, and told him there was seriously something wrong! After a close look under a microscope and a hearing test later, he wrote on a Rx slip "Otosclerosis: stapectomy or hearing aids" and handed it to me. Seriously? I am a healthy 28 year old female and you tell me I am going to loose my hearing and going to have to wear hearing aids? Anyway, to make a longer story just long, visited another ENT had stapectomy. Hearing is back, fullness feeling still there, hopefully never have to get aids Never have I been pregnant, but did stop taking birth control 2 months prior of the hearing loss after taking it for 11 years straight. I think that was the "hormonal change" that triggered it. Both ENT's don't think so, but it's my personal opinion. But what do I know, I'm just hearing impaired now

Closed Thread