HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hearing Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/hearing-disorders/)
-   -   New Stapedectomy Report (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/hearing-disorders/724786-new-stapedectomy-report.html)

sarahebeth 01-07-2010 05:07 PM

Re: New Stapedectomy Report

[QUOTE=soundboy;4158208]^^
Mine's better than before the operation, but it's still very bass heavy..still missing out of lots of high frequencies. can you easily hear all speech now from your new ear?[/QUOTE]

Were you missing high frequency before the surgery?

soundboy 01-07-2010 09:35 PM

yeah i was missing a bit, but definitley more bass was missing before the op. 70dB at 250hz. But i had no sensorineural loss which was good.

sarahebeth 01-08-2010 05:45 AM

[QUOTE=soundboy;4158387]yeah i was missing a bit, but definitley more bass was missing before the op. 70dB at 250hz. But i had no sensorineural loss which was good.[/QUOTE]

That sounds a lot like what my audiogram looks like. Pre op I was at around 70 at 250 and then bottomed out at 90 at 1000...then it starts to climb back up.

It's great that you don't have an sensorineural to deal with. Really fabulous. Unfortunately, I do, so I'm not expected miracles...just significant improvement (hoping for about a 50 dB gain).

theponderousman 01-08-2010 04:21 PM

Sarah: Sounds like you had the Stapedectomy which is a full removal of the stapes. That surgery's been around since the 50s and is the most common. I had the Stapedotomy which leaves the stapes in tact but uses a laser to drill a hole at the base of the stapes and they put a little pass-thru thing-a-ma-jig (not the official term mind you :)) in there. It's been around for over a decade and is supposed to be less invasive. Typically they have the same time in the OR although I guess I was in there for a bit longer.

My DR said no heavy lifting of over 40 lbs for 4-6 weeks and I was just given the OK for regular activity. I think 40 is the average weight to watch out for, so your 20lb child SHOULD be ok, but check with your DR 1st. I think they just don't want you to raise your heart rate too much or put much pressure within your head.

Soundboy: My hearing (I THINK) continues to improve and I'm hearing sounds in my left ear I can't really remember hearing for the longest of times. Mine too is base heavy and I'm beginning to understand more speech (I think?). I won't have a hearing exam for at least 2 more months. One of my own 'personal' tests is rubbing my fingers together, which I haven't been able to hear for YEARS, and now I can, so that's been really good.

Still stuffy in the right side (good side) of my head and my good ear hasn't popped. Gonna try some Zyrtec or something to try and see if that helps. I also have had a general cold (cause it's -20 windchill right now!!!) and the general pressure in my entire head has kept me somewhat more dizzy than previously. Bah!

Christian

Reidan 01-09-2010 08:01 PM

Hello everyone. I too have gotten a head cold. Real stuffed up and now both ears are plugged! Zyrtec is helping my sinuses, but not my ears.

Went to my nieces birthday party today and it was real tough dealing with the back ground noise. She turned 20 yesterday, but she has younger siblings. So there was a house full of kids from 3 thru 20. The noise was real fun to hear over. And watching college bowl games and NFL playoffs did not help much either.

I too have been sensitive to loud noises. Went to see Avatar too and wished I had some ear plugs. A couple of times I just used my finger! ;)

My hearing loss was bilateral and the audio gram was almost even for both sides. Lowest frequencies started around 55 db, and ramped up to about 25 db for the high.

theponderousman 01-09-2010 08:51 PM

Reidan; When did you have your surgery? And how long have your had your cold?

Reidan 01-09-2010 11:24 PM

Surgery was 5 weeks ago. Cold just started last night.

dreamweaver733 01-14-2010 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=soundboy;4155955]how's everyone going with their recoveries?

I had the same thing happen! A small hole in the ear drum when he was laying it back to do the surgery. I had to use drops for 2 weeks but now I can shower w/o worrying about getting any water in since it's healed up. My hearing test turned out well but I still have some fluid behind the ear drum so it should keep getting better.

Unfortunately i recently went back to the ENT for a check up and I have got a small hole in my ear drum which means no water for another month at least. He's given three weeks to see if it will heal on it's own, otherwise i may need to get it plugged, I reall don't want to go back for more surgery...more waiting.[/QUOTE]

soundboy 01-14-2010 03:25 PM

^^Well that's encouraging..thanks Dreamweaver
I didn't get any drops, just waiting around to see if it heels.
How long did your surgeon say the liquid could be there...mine still feels full it's been 6 weeks, while my hearing is not bad i hope it gets better than this.

dreamweaver733 01-14-2010 10:59 PM

He didn't say how long it would be there but I don't go back for 6 months. :) And, thankfully, I don't need to use the antibiotic drops anymore & I also don't have to worry about water getting in my ear. I feel like it's been a success! I hope my hearing gets a little better but if not I'm happy with the improvement I have.

sarahebeth 01-15-2010 08:54 AM

Hey guys, do you have a crackling sound in your operated ear sometimes? I have it mostly in the morning. It's kinda like the sound in your ears when you swallow, but it does it 5 or 6 times when it happens.

Reidan 01-15-2010 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=sarahebeth;4163812]Hey guys, do you have a crackling sound in your operated ear sometimes? I have it mostly in the morning. It's kinda like the sound in your ears when you swallow, but it does it 5 or 6 times when it happens.[/QUOTE]

Posted from my iPhone. So please pardon any weird typos or syntax! :)

Hey Sarahebeth,
Yes, I did have crackling and popping noise the first few weeks after surgery. But it eventually stopped.

My last posts last week I posted that I was getting a cold. It got worse and lasted about 5 or 6 days. It was just in my head as it never got down into my chest. So the infection was all in my sinuses, which are connected with the ears via the Eustachion tube.

On Wednesday I started having pressure in my operated ear and Thursday I started getting pain in the ear. Called Dr today (Friday) and spoke with Nurse as today is a surgery day for the doc. When she called me back she told me the doc said I definetly needed to be concerned. They called in 2 prescriptions, an antibiotic and a steroid for the swelling.

Took the drugs immediately while I was still in the pharmacy parking lot. After 2 or 3 hours after starting the meds I started having popping and crackling noise again. I can also feel a difference when I touch the ear and my face in front of my ear, it is not as tender. So the drugs are working.

Another side effect of the drugs. I had posted previously that the doc had to cut my ear out of the canal and onto my face. The scar is visible about 1/4 past the opening of the ear canal and onto my face. Have not seen anyone else post this, so I have assumed that mine was unique.

Since the day of surgery the incision has been puffed and the area around it was swollen. The steroids are also helping that swelling. I am hoping when that swelling is gone I will start to get the improved hearing that I have yet to experience.

soundboy 01-16-2010 12:28 AM

^ Sorry to hear you've got a cold and infection. Good that you got on to it straight away.
I also have this cut 1/4-1/2 inch going forward from my face (pretty sure it's where they take the flesh for the graft), it has felt a bit tender a few times since the op. I think it was from sleeping on that side.

I think my ear must be healing cause last night (6 weeks) I heard the clock ticking in my room in the operated ear for the first time. Still lacking high frequency but getting better.

sarahebeth 01-16-2010 04:58 AM

Reidan-It sucks that you have that cold! I do hope the meds help quickly. I had a very similar cold the week before surgery and I know the DR said that if it wasn't COMPLETELY gone, he wouldn't operate. Hopefully the antibiotic will completely clear it up.

That's interesting, too, that you both had the tissue taken from you face area. I had mine taken from the little cartilage knob right in front of my ear and the incision ran along the ridge of it.

Soundboy, it's sooooo cool that you are still noticing new sounds. It will be 3 weeks on Tuesday for me and my hearing gain hasn't been what I hoped. Maybe there is still more good stuff to come. :)

Reidan 01-18-2010 02:35 PM

Had my hearing test today. Results confirmed what I already knew. :( The hearing is just about where it was pre-surgery. There was a slight improvement in some of the lower frequencies, maybe 5 - 10 db. But higher were almost identical to pre-surgery.

One thing I noticed during the hearing test is that the tones in the surgery ear sound more muffled than the non-surgery ear. The non-surgery ear the sounds were crisp and unimpeded.

Doc says that with me still feeling pressure in the ear that I most likely still have fluid build up inside the middle ear. This would seem to confirm why the surgery ear sounds muffled. Doc says to be patient and give it more time. Do not go back now for 2 months. At that time they will give me another hearing test.

Could have been worse, hearing could have gone down instead of slightly up. I have told others on these forums to be patient with their healing. Now I just need to keep telling myself the same thing!!!

soundboy 01-18-2010 03:51 PM

Ahh...That must have felt a bit dissapointing.
But hang in there I feel like my ear is still really full after 6 weeks. Feels strange to lie on that side and the high frequencies are pretty much non existant.

I go back in a week to see if my perforated ear drum has healed...hope so.

Reidan 01-29-2010 10:06 PM

Soundboy, how is the ear drum? Has the perforation healed closed?

This week I actually feel like there has been a small improvement in my hearing. But, still have the pressure and numbness feeling. To make it worse I got new glasses and the arm is rubbing on the ear and no adjustment makes it feel better. I think the ear is just oversensitive from the surgery. My old glasses do not make it feel this way, but the arms were thin metal and the new ones have thicker plastic.

soundboy 01-29-2010 10:23 PM

Well I went back to the ENT and no the perforation has not closed. He said it still hasn't given up healing so I have to leave it for 2 months and then go back. Not bothering to get a hearing test till then as this problem will still be cutting my hearing potential.

Ear still feels really full and slightly uncomfortable, still don't like lying on it.
Hearing is better in the low frequency, however i think worse in the higher frequencies.

No swimming or water in the ear for at least another 2-3 months. :(

If it's not closed by then I will get a Tympanoplasty to fix the hole, luckily at no extra cost.

waiting.....

deafleopard 01-30-2010 03:29 PM

It is now day 6 post op. I put my headphones to the tv on my operated ear and I can just barely hear sounds from them. My ear is still a long way from
clearing all the fluids. After reading the other posts here It looks like weeks
before things settle down. Monday I get the stitches removed
from the place where the doctor took tissue to pack the eardrum.
How long before the packing is removed?
Next week I am back to work, hopefully full days although I am leaving open the option to do 1/2days if I start to feel overwhelmed.
Meetings are the worst for me, I just cannot keep up with the conversations all around me. I am an Engineer on new product design and I have people
coming to my office all day long. It will be interesting to see how well I cope.
I wish you all the best. This experience has given me a much greater understanding for the difficulties we face when our health is less than perfect.

Reidan 01-30-2010 04:46 PM

Soundboy,
Man, no swimming!?!? Since you are in Australia you are having your summer where we are having our winter here in the US. And in 2 - 3 months you will be moving into your fall. That sucks that you can not enjoy your summer in a cool lake or at the ocean! I love Snorkeling and would miss it if I could not go for an entire summer. Especially like taking a trip to Florida to snorkel with the Manatee's when they return to the area from their summer migrations.

Deafleopard,
Glad to hear that your recovery is going well so far. If your surgeon did the same as mine, they will remove a gauze like packing on Monday and will leave a Gel Packing in for another week or two. Once that is removed the sound will get much better. When they removed my Gel Packing it was a weird sensation and sounds were distorted for the first 3 or 4 hours.

Know what you mean about meetings. I always had to get to meetings early so that I could get a seat in the middle of the conference table. And I always had to make sure certain people were on my "Good Side". My boss is a mumbler with a deep voice. So he was especially difficult to converse with. Thankfully he is understanding and would speak up with just a small reminder.