It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• New Stapedectomy Report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User
    New Stapedectomy Report

So..a little about my history

I noticed a little hearing loss when I was pretty young maybe 15 didn't really think much of it. When I was 18 I had a hearing test and had mild conductive hearing loss in my right ear. Over the last 7 years (I just turned 25) my hearing has got to a point where I can generally communicate, however I miss some words and miss everything from some people (especially with deep voices who mumble) and in very quiet environments where people whisper. I have now lost up to 60dB around 250hz and maybe average of 40dB.

I also happened to have spent the last seven years of my life producing electronic music/studying sound design/and working with sound technology. So this impairment is not only a blow to my communication but also my career.

For this reason I have opted for a stapedectomy. Hearing aids were not an option due to my line of work, I don't have to worry about having kids (ie waiting for the operation) and I have next to no sensorineural loss in either ear(i've always been really careful with earplugs even though i'm constantly exposed to loud music) - so there a lot of room for improvement.

My surgeon has been doing this operation since 1975 and is regarded as one of the most gentle and experienced in my area (according to a doctor friend who did some research).

I go for the operation at 6am tomorrow morning. i'm feeling really positive about a successful outcome.

Reading through the hundreds of pages of "My Stapedectomy Report" has probabaly given me a great understanding of what to expect in the next few months.

I'll share my experiences with recovery as it comes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User
    Re: New Stapedectomy Report

So i went in to hospital 6am and had to wait until 11am for the operation so I was really hungry and thirsty.

I was wheeled down to the theatre (where it felt like a fridge it was so cold) the anesthetist put a needle in my arm said I would start feeling sleepy....and I woke up an hour later in my room. ie General anesthetic

I was really not ready for how dizzy and sick I felt when I woke up, even the slightest turn of the head resulted in me throwing up. I was given a shot in my leg for the nausea which also made me drowsy. I then slept on and off until early morning in the hospital bed.

I woke up to the doctor telling me it had technically been a successful operation. I was then discharded at 10am.

I have no nausea now, just dizziness when I walk or move my head. I have noticed a strange blandness of taste on the right side of my tongue but nothing too bad.

The most exciting thing was that after 24hrs i'm hearing bassy but muffled sounds from my operated ear!!! I'm expecting this to fluctuate but stoked with the early indication of a successful stapedectomy

Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User

This forum doesn't seem quite as active as it used to be, that's OK i'll keep putting this up cause I know I was in need of as much info as possible. (And i'm sitting inside doing nothing for a month :P)

Yesterday I was struck down with such intense nausea, I don't know whether it was the antibiotics or the op. My gf came home from work and rang the surgeon, who sent through a prescription for anti nausea medication. I felt a lot better for the rest of the day.

So I'm up to day 4 now
    No pain, slight difference in taste(not too bad), still quite dizzy when walking and focusing on things.

Last night was the first time since the operation I slept properly.

No great increase in air conduction hearing as yet, Tinnitus is Really loud in the operated ear, and my voice in my head and footsteps are also loud.

Each day there's less blood/gunk when I change the cotton ball which must mean that it's healing accordingly.

Looking forward to hearing again

Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
    theponderousman
    (male)

theponderousman HB User

Hey there Soundboy, my name's Christian and I just had a stapedotomy on Monday the 30th, a procedure close to yours but a bit newer (and supposedly less intrusive). I'm experiencing about the same as you right about now with lound tinnitus in the left ear (operated), echo-y sounds all inside my head and a VERY subtle odd taste in the back of my mouth. After reading all of the posts on this awesome site, I've pretty much been ok with these side effects. I will say that my patience is getting to the 'awwww cmon' point with wanting it all to be over

My 1st and 2nd day I had some throwing up but I haven't gotten sick since Tuesday AM really. Going up and down stairs is VERY odd but tolerable. I get the packing out this coming Tuesday and it's so packed in there right now that there's probably no way sound can get in! Oh well!

More to post later. Glad to hear (no pun intended) that things are going well with you so far!

Christian

Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User

hey christian,
    Sounds like we're having a pretty similar recovery, I couldn't believe when I read someone walked out of the hospital an hour after a general anesthetic and went back to work a few days later.

I went in the car (gf driving) to the video store last night and that was enough to say I shouldn't driving at least for a while, my balance is still way off.

I know what you mean about the packing, even if i had perfect hearing in that ear I can't imagine hearing much with all that stuffed in there.
    I have to wait another 10 days to get the packing out, hoping for an end to the dizziness (and miraculous hearing of course) must remember to be patient.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
    theponderousman
    (male)

theponderousman HB User

So yesterday I was getting a bit stir crazy at my friend's place and decided to drive home (5 min drive) for a bit. My left to right looking doesn't make me dizzy, it's more of the moving my head up and down that does, but it's not too bad overall. Thankfully I don't have TOO major of the side effects happening to me (just yet, knocking on wood) although I bit numb feeling at intermitent times on my tongue.

My ear's 'sort of' popped recently, but it doesn't STAY that way. I guess that's kind of what I was expecting after reading everyone's post, that once it popped, it wouldn't go back to being clogged sounding so quickly. When I yawn deeply I can kind of 'force' pop it, although I am still careful about that. I've caught myself almost blowing my nose a few times these past few days and just kind of laugh when I do.

Anyways, I can ramble on for a while...how're things going for you today? Any changes?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User

Nothing much to report on my front, I'm at day 6 i guess...

I'm still pretty dizzy, don't think I'd be driving too quick...oh yeah stir crazy, wow this is the most bring weekend I think I have ever had, oh well it should all be worth it.

Dizziness is still pretty apparent but I notice it's better every morning I get out of bed. Still have a little off taste but that really doesn't worry me even if it stayed like that. Pretty much from my operation I've been able to hear a tiny bit from the operated ear(I can hear the phone when I put it up to that ear), and a really loud bassy sound when cars drive past my house, I guess that a good sign. But no popping or 'opening' as yet.

I guess my main gripe is the feeling of this packing in my ear, it feels so foreign I don't think i'll feel normal again until it's out...

Overall can't complain trying to take it day by day

Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
    deafleopard
    (male)

deafleopard HB User

This is all very interesting to me as I just returned from my doctor's visit.
    I am going to have a Stapedectomy right after the first of the year.
    I guess I will plan on being laid up for a week or two. I hope I can return to work after a week but that will determine if I have some of the nauseal you mention.
    I sit at a computer most of the day so I hope it is tolerable.
    I don't know if I should be nervous or excited but I am going ahead with the operation as I have to do something.....I hate wearing hearing aids.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User

Congratulations deofleopard for taking the plunge, going by this forum you can see that it's quite the rollercoaster ride.

Everyone seems different some can work 3 days later others a lot longer.
    After one week i'm starting to feel like I can leave the house. But I wouldn't be ready for work that's for sure.
    Make sure you leave at least 2 weeks just in case you need it! After going through this it's probably worth giving yourself the time to heal properly.

And make sure you have fun over the christmas/nye break cause it can get pretty boring recovering!

As for me i'm at day 7

- Not much hearing to report, definitley no major "openings"
    - Dizziness is getting better every day
    - No Pain
    - Constant 'pulsing' sound in my ear (pretty annoying)
    - Packaging is pretty uncomfortable (Have to wait one more week for appt. )

Waiting...waiting

Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
    deafleopard
    (male)

deafleopard HB User

Soundboy, I had a long conversation with my doctor and he said it is very rare that one does not come out of this operation without positive results. I know of course he is speaking from a surgeons position though and that may be biased. The several people I know who had this operation said it was the best decision they made. So I am optimistic. I have to be because not hearing is beginning to affect my job and it has certainly impacted my relationship with kids, wife, and friends. I will certainly take your advice and take as much time off as needed to recover. I have a lot of vacation time saved up just for times like these. We all play with the cards we are dealt but if I can improve my hand I am all for trying. Let me know how you progress. I know it is still early in your recovery.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User

So I guess it must be around day 10 for me now

I've finally finished my antibiotics, I stopped taking the vertigo meds and painkillers a few days ago. I'm still slightly dizzy but nothing too severe, I'm sure it's just going to slowly subside until I realise I'm no longer dizzy.

AS for hearing I definitely have some in my operated ear. I can't imagine I should be hearing all that much considering my ear canal is packed with gauze (I don't think my surgeon uses that dissolving stuff). And the blood pumping/pulsing sound is gone which is good.

My taste is pretty much back to normal.

On monday I go in for my first follow up appointment (2 weeks) and hopefully get the packing taken out if it's all healing well.

Pretty much been spending my days reading and watching episodes of Curb your Enthusiasm" and trying to remember not to lift anything heavy.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
    nandi
    (female)

nandi HB User

Hi, I had a stapedectomy 3 days ago, and find the messages on this board very helpful. It is very reassuring to read that other people had similar experiences after the surgery.

I have had severe hearing loss in my left ear for many years (due to otosclerosis), and a hearing aid did not work for me. So eventually I decided to have the stapedectomy.

I am very fortunate, because I did not have any nausea at all since the operation, and only mild pain and dizziness. I was a bit worried about all the "noises" in my ear, but since reading this board, I realize that it is nothing to be worried about.

I see my surgeon after a week to remove the "plug" in my ear, and hope that I will have better hearing then.

I will check your progress regularly, and also report on mine.

It will be wonderful to be able to hear better.... I am looking forward to it.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
    nandi
    (female)

nandi HB User

Day 4 post-op, and I've had an episode of severe vertigo for the first time today. Fortunately it is better now. I expected that to happen immediately after the op and in the first couple of days, but it didn't, so I was quite surprised to have it for the first time on day 4.

I am a light sleeper, and always sleep with an earplug in my right (good) ear, I didn't need one in the left ear for many years. Last night I woke up and could hear my husband snoring (he is not going to be impressed with me writing this ). My first thought was that the earplug must have fallen out of my right ear, but it was still there! Also, he was on my left side. So it seems as if I was hearing the snoring with my operated ear. I must say, it is the first time that I was happy to hear him snoring!!

The Following User Says Thank You to nandi For This Useful Post:
    TanyaSue77 (05-22-2012)
    Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
    soundwave
    (male)

soundwave HB User

Hi everybody. I had my stapedectomy done on dec 2nd, 2009, along with a tympanoplasty. mine was the result of a small firework going off next to my ear. i had one tympanoplasty some time ago, and during that they discovered that i also needed a statedectomy.

i am on day 11, pain is gone, though my jaw is still tight. i didn't have dizziness this time around. The first surgery i did, and big time. lasted for about 1 month, it was really bad. this time - none.

no hearing has returned yet. my packing will stay in for a month. i am getting to the point where the anxiety is making me a little crazy. did it work? especially because my graft didn't take when they patched my ear drum with the last surgery.

i too have the slight metal taste in my mouth. the clicking and gurggling has subsided quite a bit in the past couple days. i started having some clicking when i yawn, and hope i am not putting pressure on anything.

glad to know there are others going through the same thing. happy recovery to all of you!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
    soundboy
    (male)

soundboy HB User

Hey Nandi...the same thing happened to me with the delay onset of vertigo and nausea, but it all got better in the following days. I'm sure yours will too.
    Wow..that's so exciting being able to hear (even snoring) again

and soundwave just stick in there I know it's hard when you start feeling better but there's no hearing to go with it..

I had a great day today. I went to the surgeon for the 2 week appointment, my ear had healed really well for just 2 weeks. I had the 4 stitches taken out.
    Then he took the packing out..wow..the moment he pulled this "plug" from my ear I could hear him speaking to me!!!
    I then went for a walk in to the city and was amazed by how loud buses, lifts, air conditioning and everything was.

My hearing is still far from perfect, but the bass is back...and hopefully the rest of the spectrum will follow in the next few weeks. Everything is still quite muffled and speaking is still a little hard to work out.

According to fork test it's already better than it was pre-op.

Better than any christmas present I could have asked for.

Closed Thread