It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

After Stapedectomy, What was your Hearing Like?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Arlanthe
(male)

Arlanthe HB User
After Stapedectomy, What was your Hearing Like?

I had my stapedectomy on Monday, April 19th. My side effects have been very minor- no nausea, no pain, no dizziness, only a very sleight metallic taste (not bad at all).

The only thing that is worrying me is that I don't know if it worked or not. For those of you that have had the surgery, what was your hearing like afterward? I haven't had any "loud" or "open" periods with the operated ear. It just feels itchy and stuffed up (the gauze is still packed in there). Has anyone had to wait until that was completely out to notice a significant difference?

If I gently rub the cotton ball, I can hear the hissing sound in my operated ear. Likewise, if I gently tap my lower ear cartilage I can hear it. I do hear the "creaks and pops" some too, and clicking my teeth ion that side of my mouth reports well in the operated ear. Did anyone else have this experience, or did everyone pretty much think everything was loud right after surgery? It does seem a bit luder ":inside" my head, but not dramatic like some people have listed.

Anyway, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Bossio
(male)

Bossio HB User
Re: After Stapedectomy, What was your Hearing Like?

I'VE HAD MY left ear SURGERY ON aUGUST 31ST, NO SIDE EFFECTS, NO PAIN, NO NAUSEA, NO DIZZINESS, 7 days later the packing was removed and I heard everything like it was coming from a big amplifier, lots of sounds but low quality, now I am 3 days later and the super hearing went away and I'm not better than before the surgery but I understand that about 30 days or more is needed. Let's see what happens.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

Hello Bossio,

How is your hearing now ?

I had the surgery done (stapedotomy) to my left ear on Sept 10th. I too had no side-effects...slight dizziness for the first two days and that's all..everything was pretty loud for the first couple of days and the "loudness" disappeared...I called the doc and he said its because of the blood clotting and once he removes the packing..i might hear again...i do hear the heart beats and some cracking sounds in the operated ear. My follow-up visit (to get the packing removed) is tomorrow. I'm just curious to know how it will be like after the packing is gone ..!?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
kathyjm
(female)

kathyjm HB User

Nadsqal, I had that same experience after my last stapedectomy about a month ago - I heard GREAT immediately after my surgery but then three days later I woke up and couldn't hear. I went to my post op a few days later, had the packing taken out but still didn't improve my hearing. About a week and half later I started experiencing sensation of my ear opening, at first this lasted for just a few seconds, then I'd swallow and it go back to that clogged not being able to hear feeling. Gradually, the open times started happening more and more. During this time, when my ear was open, sounds were distorted. I found that I had the hardest time with voices. Some things were really loud as if my brain wasn't filtering what should be back ground noise, like a door shutting, the sound of a dish being put on the counter. In the car, the road noise sounded like it was right up against my ear, almost like a helicopter. And it just generally sounded as if I was hearing through a cup or a shell. Then I'd swallow and it would all go away. I also started to notice if I opened my mouth, I would hear. When I was chewing it was like a kid was playing with the knob on a radio and turning the volume on and off, on and off. But this didn't' start until about a week after my packing was removed.

I've had about two weeks now where I feel like the swelling has finally gone down and literally I woke up one day and could hear. I'm still occasionally experiencing my brain re learning what to do. But it's getting better each day. the sound of a dish being put down no longer rattles my skull! I know I STILL have some fluid because when I yawn, swallow a little differently, get a bubble in my throat, etc... I can hear the fluid. It sounds like a combination of sheets being snapped, and someone scratching jeans right next to my ear.

Be patient, I know it's stressful! when my swelling and fluid took over, I cried and cried and was convinced I was destined to not be able to hear. I kept reading every post I could find on this website to see if anyone had my experience. But really, it really was swelling, and fluid, and dried blood. It DOES takes months to heal.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

Hello Kathyjm, thats a perfect explanation of what i'm experiencing right now !!
Whatever happened to me so far is EXACTLY the same as what you experienced (wrote in your reply).
I got my dressing/cotton removed 7 days after surgery (stapedotomy). My doc did the weber test and I could hear it louder in my un-operated ear, which is NORMAL. But I still couldn't clearly hear all the sounds esp speech. Doc said I still have two stitches inside my ear and they will dissolve by themselves..and everything inside is like a "jello" and it will take time to fully hear everything. I have an appointment after 2 weeks for a full hearing test.
I tried to talk to my sis on phone using the operated ear and all the words are heard as solid sounds..I closed my un-operated ear and asked my husband to talk near my operated ear and boom..I could hear but not very clearly..its like talking inside a tunnel with me on one side and my husband on the other side of the tunnel...I guess I just have to wait for my swelling to heal.
anyways, after seeing your message I'm totally relieved.....Thanks a lot !

Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Bossio
(male)

Bossio HB User

[QUOTE=nadsgal;4328250]Hello Bossio,

How is your hearing now ?

Hi, I'm at 22 days after surgery and 15 days after packing removed.
I'd say that the results so far are a mixed bag, I do hear more now but the quality of the sounds are not that good, is like hearing in FM stereo in my non-operated ear and hearing like an AM radio thru a bad speaker in my operated ear.
I test real life with headphones and listening to music. I never had total hearing loss in my left ear but very diminished hearing.
So far I'd say that my operated ear hears 1/3 of what my good ear hears. I'm also affected with some sounds coming in very very loud, especially while walking, I can hear fans running from across the street and the sound of cars and buses is extremely loud, as well as when I open and close the doors of my car. Listening to music in the car is not that good, there isn't much "body" to the sounds, it was better pre-op.
So I'll just wait for my next appointment on October 5 and see what the doctor has to say.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bossio:
guyman (01-08-2011)
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

I'm now at 22 days post-op and its been 17 days since my packing was removed. I had an appoinement with my doctor this morning and then took a hearing test. And my hearing in my operated ear is the same as pre-op and there is a hearing loss for high frequencies. My doc asked me to wait for a month and get a hearing test done again. If the results are same and if there is no improvement even after a month, then I will get a CT scan done to check if the prosthesis is still in place !

Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

Is it too early to get a second opinion??

Hello Bossio, how did your appointment go?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
kathyjm
(female)

kathyjm HB User

nadsgal, that's almost exactly what my hearing test results looked like after my first stapedectomy where the prosthesis slipped. I think no matter what, you get a second opinion. For example, when I did have my CT scan, that same surgeon said the prosthesis did NOT slip. THen I took that same scan disc over to a new surgeon at Stanford who said, oh yeah, it slipped, I can see it.

Dont panic. If it slipped, you can get it redone! Just find the best surgeon you can.

I had my follow up hearing test since having my revision done... I have gained about 50 db of hearing in that ear! Dont give up yet!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

Kathy, Thank you for the advice. I WILL get a second opinion but I'm contemplating on whether I should get it right away or wait for another month as per my doctor's suggestion. I'm just scared to go through the surgery again.
Do you remember your hearing AFTER your first stapedectomy where your prosthesis slipped ? Did you hear anything ? Right now, I hear static and wind blowing sounds..I hear voices but it has an echo or double tone (don't know if I explained it correctly!).
I dont know if I have to stay positive or get ready for another surgery

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Malstann
(male)

Malstann HB User

Hi Folks,
Well it's my time to chip in, 1.30 am worried it hasnt worked 8 days in.
Stapedotomy, for the last 4 hours I've been trawling through these pages and they've given me great relief.

All of the nasty side effects I've had, I'm still dizzy, weak and my ears blocked. I don't hear near anything on my operated side yet, other than the motorboat thats been installed in my head instead. Wind, tones that come and go or stay, whooshing, popping, crackling, pulsing, rumbling, humming (the boat) yep welcome aboard Captain Mals wonderful new motorboat I'm experiencing it all. lol...
We're in it together and thankfully others have said it. I'm not the only one... infact it seems quite a few of us haven't had the easy ride.

But it sounds as though it gets better or can be treated enroute. That really is fortunate....

Nadsgirl I know it's been a bit longer for you, but it's clear it's a longer road than we thought, or I certainly did.
Quick op, week off, back to normal, thats what my mum said hers was like...
yerr right...

Patience. faith. rest. these pages (of which I have now become part of) are here and it's a tonic. Imagine ops before the internet...

Hope it helps, does me, tired now, all aboard... night night...
Mal (Captain that is)

PS I am a real one..., wot, Captain, yerr, honest...really...

The Following User Says Thank You to Malstann For This Useful Post:
guyman (01-08-2011)
Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

Hello Everyone,
27 days post-op: Can hear all the background noises..like road noise, fans blowing etc louder than voices. Voices have this strange "double tone"...Don't know if I explained it correctly Also, my hearing seems to vary within each day too...sometimes I feel like my hearing is improving and sometimes I feel like its going downhill. I have an appointment for a hearing test on Nov 1st. Just keeping my fingers crossed until then.
My doc lifted all the restrictions - I can now bend and do some light exercises like brisk walking and all, can take normal showers !! whew..what a relief ! but I'm still taking care not to let water inside my ear..
Hello Mal, welcome aboard and keep us posted on your recovery. Good luck !

Old 10-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #13
Malstann
(male)

Malstann HB User

Day 10,

Cars, aeroplanes, my dogs barking and crockery bashing getting through loud and bassy as per day 1.

My condition before the op, right ear frequency range ok, not great but ok.
Loudness poor.

Today (still early recovery stage, yerr, yawn 10 days is still early)
My guess at range 0-440hz ok, 440hz and beyond waiting
Loudness 0-440hz ok, higher and beyond waiting.
Not conversational in other words.
(Patience, dear chap, patience....)

Dizziness a little better, short drives and walks ok no nausea for 2 days, hooray...
Cycling no chance my balance is still poor ....(2 pints of beer wobbly )

Pain, none off all medication.

Had my first check, Surgeon took out packing, no Eureka, said it can take time...
No concern, just matter of fact, see you in 3 weeks and a smile.

I've had a Stapedotomy, the just the staple removed, I'm interested to hear peoples recovery to this surgery as it is a little different.

My ear is very slowly clearing and I mean really slowly.
Remembering what has happened it has to still be swollen inside hence the closed feeling and I supose the clicking and popping, etc.
I have the so called open moments, don't hear anything more my ear just feels for a second less blocked.

Mmm...Time for bacon sarnie and a cup of tea, I think....
Then better walk the boys (little doggies Dougie and Bas), wifes gone to New York with her girlfriend for a weekender. She's got it right....

Happy Days, its early days...

The Following User Says Thank You to Malstann For This Useful Post:
guyman (01-08-2011)
Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Bossio
(male)

Bossio HB User

[QUOTE=nadsgal;4339656]Is it too early to get a second opinion??

Hello Bossio, how did your appointment go?

Hi nadsgal,

My appointment was Oct 5 and went thru a hearing test.
According to the audiologist my hearing went from 80db to 40db, she thought it was an excellent progress.
Then the doctor saw me and removed some dried blood and left a little bit that was deeper, but said that the ear tends to take care of it by itself.
He expects my hearing to get even better because he still saw some inflammation (37 days after surgery), meaning as it goes down the hearing gets better.
He wants to see me again in 3 months and removed all restrictions, I can swim, fly, run, jump...anything, no need to protect my ear.

In real life I do hear better, before the surgery I could barely hear somebody speaking from my left side, now I hear and even use my cell phone over my operated ear and can carry conversations easily.
Having said that, I still think the quality of sound is not as good as the quality of sound from my normal ear, but when listening to music thru headphones I can make much better music sounds on my operated ear.
I still have popping noises when I drink or swallow or yawn and the ear always has a bit of a feeling of being plugged, but I think is because of the remaining inflammation.
All in all yes, I hear much better and will wait for my next test 3 months from now.

Hope everybody is feeling and hearing better, and please be patient, 2 weeks out from the operation I wasn't patient and thought that I wasted time and money, but no, it gets better.

Regards

The Following User Says Thank You to Bossio For This Useful Post:
guyman (01-08-2011)
Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
nadsgal
(female)

nadsgal HB User

Hello Mal and everyone,
Mine is stapedotomy too. And here is my progress from the day of the surgery.

Immediately after the surgery: all sounds, including my own words were amplified a 100 times and there was an echo to all the sounds. I was dizzy for a couple of hours, stayed at the hospital and then left.

1st day post-op: Fullness in the ear. Felt like there is some liquidy substance in my ear. Very minute amount of pain-nothing unbearable. Now, more than words, all the other sounds…sounds like closing the microwave door, turning the light on etc. were amplified. Tinnitus comes and goes-not persistent.

2nd day post-op: Feel much better. Dizziness is still there. Don’t feel the liquidy substance in the ear. Sounds like heart beat, air blowing was heard in the operated ear-not persistent though. Background noises were heard more than speech.

3rd day post-op: Almost same as the second day. Persistent headache-gone after taking Tylenol.

4th day post-op
Until last night everything was pretty loud..Now, it feels like my operated ear is fully packed and I can hear sounds only faintly or nothing at all. Eating crunchy things makes a lot of noise in the right (un-operated) ear.
Called the doc and he said the hearing will vary during the first few days after surgery and there is nothing to worry.

7th day post-op: my first post-op appointment-Got my external packing removed; no "magical hearing". Doc said I had two more stitches inside my ear..and there was some internal packing that needs to dissolve. He did the tuning fork test on my forehead and said everything was normal. Operated ear still felt pretty clogged/packed.
There has been a subtle pain/soreness on the outside of the operated ear/jaw, slight numbness and soreness in the face (operated ear side)..looks like the cheek muscle on the operated ear side is not moving, which made my laugh weird..Asked the doc and he suggested me to sleep at a 30 degrees angle. Said..that might be because of the swelling. Asked me to come back after 2 weeks.

10 post-op: hearing some “internal vibrations?” in the ear.
From 11th day post-op: Feels like hearing is getting a little better every day but not anything really magical
3 weeks post-op: Had my second post-op appointment. Doc suctioned out something from inside, also removed some dried blood (was a bit painful )
Then went for a hearing test. Hearing was pretty much the same as pre-op. Doc asked me to wait for one more month and get a hearing test again.

31 days post-op: I feel like my hearing is getting better but the voices are still distorted. Background noises are still louder than the voices. Still feel like there is something inside my ear..like dried blood or something..
I still hear some creaking and popping noises whenever i swallow..
Anyone felt the same 30 days after surgery ??

I have my next appointment on Nov1st. So, I'm just waiting and hoping for my hearing to get better by then..

Last edited by nadsgal; 10-11-2010 at 02:36 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to nadsgal:
guyman (01-08-2011)
Closed Thread