It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy and running marathon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
    Skakinen
    (male)

Skakinen HB User
    Stapedectomy and running marathon

Hello everybody.
    My hearing loss has reached the level that a stapedectomy could be performed. Maybe in the next months I will take the decision. My major reservation has to do with my sport activity after the surgery (I don't mean the first weeks but a long term consideration). You see I am a distance runner (including marathon) and I don't know whether my doctor considers running as a prohibited activity due to vibrations, vigorous effort etc.
    I am 44 years old and I can't imagine my life without running.

Is there any other distance runner to whom stapedectomy has been performed? What about running after the surgery? Any information or personal experience would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

P.S.
    Reading another thread (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=556241) with a similar question wasn't very helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
    Arlanthe
    (male)

Arlanthe HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy and running marathon

Barring a serious problem with the surgery, after a few months you should be fine. Even the military special forces medical waiver books recommend waivers for those who have had stapedectomies.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
    Reidan
    (male)

Reidan HB User

Only physical things I was told to avoid after my surgery were airplane flights or under water activities like snorkeling or diving. Not because of the water, but the pressure on the ear drum pushing in on the ear and making the implant move out of position before the graft has healed.

And was told some common sense things like sneeze with your mouth open to keep pressure from the inner ear. Etc.

Like you said, I would not go run the marathon the day after surgery. But after a few weeks of recovery, I do not think running would cause any problems.

Now full contact football, I think I would avoid that for a long awhile. Good hit to the head could dislodge the implant!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
    Skakinen
    (male)

Skakinen HB User

One of these days I am gonna discuss the whole thing with the surgeon. I hope to hear good things.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
    turtlesdove3
    (male)

turtlesdove3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skakinen View Post
    One of these days I am gonna discuss the whole thing with the surgeon. I hope to hear good things.
    That will be much better than the opinions of others. the surgeon will know what will be best for you. All the best and I hope he gives you good news only.

Closed Thread