It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Anyone recovered from Stapedotomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
    claireW
    (female)

claireW HB User
    Anyone recovered from Stapedotomy?

I just had a right stapedotomy on Tues and really dont feel like im bouncing back. I appear to be off balance alot and although the pain is manageable to the roaring in my head is causing me anxiety. My tongue is numb and I have very little taste! Any one have these symptoms and when did they subside. My ear is packed until next Thurs so I feel like I have a long week ahead. Any advice is appreciated!! thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
    ditec
    (female)

ditec HB User
    Re: Anyone recovered from Stapedotomy?

I just had my laser stapedotomy on July 5th, so I am post-op 8 days. I too also experienced being off balance as if I was drunk on a ocean freighter in rough seas. That only lasted about 4 or 5 days, but if I do too much I still get dizzy and have to rest for a bit. I am back to work but as I do a desk job, it doesn't seem to be any harder than just being at home. I will not be seeing my surgeon for post-op as I live about 800kms away from them, so they have booked me into see an ENT in my area but not until July 27th due to his holidays.

The pain was very manageable and I only used about 3 Tylenol #3 and then a few regular Tylenol. I am doing antibiotic ear drops 2 times per day and keeping the cotton balls in all day. Showering is quite the challenge with a glass to my ear so it doesn't get wet. I do think my hearing is better but I feel like I am hearing through a tin can or something like being underwater. I still get popping sounds, as well as being able to hear my own heart beating. I also find that the vibrations of motorcyles, cars etc that go by on the street feel like they are in my head, etc.

I haven't had any taste issues to this point. I do feel that I have a bit of numbness in my face but nothing extreme. I have no incisions except for the hand vein graph area.

I am waiting to hear back from my surgeons office to answer some questions for me. I am not even sure if I have more packing in the ear, either dissolvable or something that has to be removed. My husband cannot see anything but from other forums, I heard that people did have something further in that others could not see.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
    claireW
    (female)

claireW HB User

Hi.. Im 2 weeks in now and the balance is better. I had the packing removed on Thurs and was amazed at all the sound that flooded in. Now im adjusting to filtering these sounds as it is so amplified! I still have the roaring and heart beating in my head and wear ear plugs alot of time as certain situations are just too loud right now! I still have to keep my ear dry for a few more weeks.. My dr reccomended the cotton ball with vaseline to keep water out.. Might be easier than the glass! I have also found the silicone ear plugs help alot keeping it out!

So your dr doesnt have any packing to take out? Where do you live?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
    ditec
    (female)

ditec HB User

Hi Clare,

I'm still not sure if there is packing down deep that the doctor has to remove. I would hope that they would have told me this as I don't see anyone until 22 days after the surgery, but it seems that some people have packing in for 6 weeks while others are only about 10 days. I hope that they call me back soon.

My husband adminsters the ear drops for me 2 times per day and he puts in a clean cotton ball each time, but he does dip it lightly into vaseline just so that it won't stick to my ear. I still have a bit of blood that comes out on the cotton balls but nothing alarming. When did you bleeding stop?

I live in British Columbia, Canada. It is just easier to see another ENT here where I live so that I don't have the long drive of 8-10 hours for post-op.

My mom keeps reminding me that the years of hearing loss is worth the next couple of months for recovery. I agree that it is a small price to pay but it is hard not living each day normally in activities, etc. At least my husband and 2 sons are very helpful. My almost 2 year old puggle is not happy that I am not picking him up to carry him. He is 20lbs so I can't. LOL.

Have a great day and hopefully, I will hear soon and post again.

Cheers.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
    claireW
    (female)

claireW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ditec View Post
    Hi Clare,

I'm still not sure if there is packing down deep that the doctor has to remove. I would hope that they would have told me this as I don't see anyone until 22 days after the surgery, but it seems that some people have packing in for 6 weeks while others are only about 10 days. I hope that they call me back soon.

My husband adminsters the ear drops for me 2 times per day and he puts in a clean cotton ball each time, but he does dip it lightly into vaseline just so that it won't stick to my ear. I still have a bit of blood that comes out on the cotton balls but nothing alarming. When did you bleeding stop?

I live in British Columbia, Canada. It is just easier to see another ENT here where I live so that I don't have the long drive of 8-10 hours for post-op.

My mom keeps reminding me that the years of hearing loss is worth the next couple of months for recovery. I agree that it is a small price to pay but it is hard not living each day normally in activities, etc. At least my husband and 2 sons are very helpful. My almost 2 year old puggle is not happy that I am not picking him up to carry him. He is 20lbs so I can't. LOL.

Have a great day and hopefully, I will hear soon and post again.

Cheers.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
    claireW
    (female)

claireW HB User

Hey again! Its a shame you are so far from the surgeon, I am quite lucky that I am local to a major city with a great dr! I could tell I had packing in as it really made me as deaf as when I went in. When they removed it all the sound flooded in.. I was profoundly deaf in one ear for about 5 yrs and its really hard to feel down so much over the recovery when I can hear but but the road has been tough! It will be worth it in a few months when im back to normal (but with better hearing ) and jsut hope the other ear doesnt deteriorate too!
    I still get really tired like I cant get my act together. I have two small children so I get hte not being able to lift..

Keep me posted will be interested to see how you make out!
    Take care !

Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
    ditec
    (female)

ditec HB User

Hi Claire,

Well I am post-op 3 weeks today. I go to the ENT tomorrow to have the rest of the packing removed. I had a fairly big piece of blood scab come out on the cotton ball the other and alarmed me but that was what my husband could see, so all is good. It has been a bit itchy in there so things are healing. Hearing is definitely better for sure, but can't wait to see tomorrow how it will change.

I haven't had any other symptoms at all and no pain. I am very excited to start the ball rolling on planning to have my right ear done but most likely won't be until May 2011 because they say 6 months and then I have to wait the winter months out for the drive again.

How have you been and has the hearing gotten clear now?

Cheers.
    Diana

Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
    claireW
    (female)

claireW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ditec View Post
    Hi Claire,

Well I am post-op 3 weeks today. I go to the ENT tomorrow to have the rest of the packing removed. I had a fairly big piece of blood scab come out on the cotton ball the other and alarmed me but that was what my husband could see, so all is good. It has been a bit itchy in there so things are healing. Hearing is definitely better for sure, but can't wait to see tomorrow how it will change.

I haven't had any other symptoms at all and no pain. I am very excited to start the ball rolling on planning to have my right ear done but most likely won't be until May 2011 because they say 6 months and then I have to wait the winter months out for the drive again.

How have you been and has the hearing gotten clear now?

Cheers.
    Diana

Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
    claireW
    (female)

claireW HB User
    Update!

Hi there, im glad things are going so well for you! Cant wait to hear how you make out once the packing is out!

my symptoms are slowly subsiding! Getting my taste back etc.. The heaing the ear is pretty intense.. I have to wear ear plugs in certain situations like when I go someweher that is loud or there are alot of loud voices. Its hard to filter right now! I have my hearing test on Thurs so we will see how that goes although its pretty obvious I can hear!
    Keep me posted.. Good Luck !

Closed Thread