It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Post-Op Stapedectomy Expectations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User
    Re: Post-Op Stapedectomy Expectations

To Australia Girl:
    We have opposite stories it seems. I was prescribed steroid tablets (Prednisone) because I had ringing in my operated ear. The ringing started very suddenly exactly 2 weeks (and a few hours if we're exact) after my surgery. I was just sitting on the couch watching some Television so I'm not sure what brought it on.
    Luckily it wasn't too loud/annoying. It is one of those things you don't notice until you think about it and then it drives you crazy. Like a little kid scraping his knee and not crying until he sees blood.
    It started 6 days ago. I wasn't able to get a prescription until yesterday because of the weekend. So today is my first day taking it. Hopefully it helps, but hasn't yet. And hopefully it will reduce whatever swelling is still there so my hearing continues to improve. I will be very disappointed if my hearing does not improve any further (Tomorrow is the 3 week mark).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
    billcindy1
    (female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

student ryan..was wondering if your hearing has improved any...how many weeks are you post surgery....I am 17 days

Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User

BillCindy1: In 3 days it will be 1 month since my surgery.

My hearing has returned somewhat. I'm not convinced though that it is at the level it was pre-surgery (which wasn't all that bad- see my previous posts). Unfortunately I feel that there is a weird pressure once again that has returned within the past few days. Sometimes my hearing sounds like I am holding my nose and sending pressure to my ear (especially in loud places like in a classroom), and sometimes I feel fine (like when I am in my apartment alone)- it's strange. It feels like I need to pop my ear, but I am still avoiding that. Also, every time I swallow there is a very different reaction in my left ear than my right ear (something that I also had prior to the surgery).

This morning, I finished taking the Prednisone I was prescribed for the ringing in my ear. The ringing has reduced but still comes and goes. I may call the doctor back again this week if it still persists.

How are you handling the post-surgery?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #19
    billcindy1
    (female)

billcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB Userbillcindy1 HB User

Well...I am trying to stay as patient as I can as I know this is something that takes time..yup...not doing so well with that at all. I can honestly say I can hear but not the way before I loss my hearing in Dec. This is the second surgery for me...first was 17 years ago. My presthesis came unattached and my dr. went in and replaced with another. recovery is so different then first. back on feet and to work in one week..first surgery 1 month to recover back to normal. I too feel like I just need to pop my ear. But I won't. I am doing better with certain tones then others. some voices are so easy to hear others forget it. The only way I can describe it is voices do not sound clear and I am hearing them clogged I guess. But I know it has only been 18 days now and things need to heal. I am going to talk with my dr. about my left ear as this also has the same and needs a stapedectomy-has been like this years but I manged with my bionic ear as my hubby used to call it. I can hear things that I couldn t before the surgery like my hubby say good night,,shower running... my van on....really alot of things and i think each day it gets alittle bit better..but other things are so hard...I can hear it but so low..if you have a soft voice I just can t make it out..When my packing was taken out I did not get that sonic hearing..I could hear my dr. but not amplified. I said something and he said can you hear me. I said yes..and I am talking normal to you that is great. and then said see you in a month to see what improvements you have be patient. I do have my worried moments about this but then read the posts here and say ok..not alone.. I am happy for what hearing I have right now and hoping it only gets better.... but wish I could get rid of that clogged feeling..I have been dealing with A clogged nose..can t blow it so I am trying to keep it running...LOL..Do you notice you are more alert with your hearing in the early morning when you wake up? I hope things get better for you..thanks for responding back to me...it is nice to have something to share with

The following user gives a hug of support to billcindy1:
    Helenfrances (03-08-2011)
    Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #20
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User

I'm glad your recovery this time is going faster than the first one you had!

Just try to take it easy. I notice now that the ringing will start if I bend over to pick something up to fast or if its to heavy. I still haven't been back to the gym.

The clogged feeling must be normal, especially for 18 days after. I still have this feeling. I really hope it isn't permanent but if hearing hasn't improved to almost normal I think the clogged feeling is here to stay.

To what you said about hearing being best in the morning when you first wake up- mine is opposite of this. My hearing (and pressure feeling) get better throughout the day. When I first wake up, my head feels uneven due to the pressure in my left ear and hearing is noticeably reduced. (This is really annoying because all my classes are in the morning- I try not to talk to anyone because I fear I won't be able to hear them.)

I also notice that I can hear some people's voices better than others. Usually I can hear higher pitched voices best, where with lower pitched I am asking "what?".

Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User

I meant to update this on the March 10th (the one-month mark) but was unable to until today.

I had been feeling a weird pressure in my ear and diminished hearing. On the 10th however, I drove from my college to my home. It's about a 2.5 hour trip through a mountainous region of the Eastern US. My ear popped! The entire time I was home I had no pressure and could hear almost perfectly!

However, as soon I went to visit my relatives about 15 minutes from house, my ears un-popped. It stayed like that until I went back to my house where it again popped.

On my trip back to college today, my ear semi-popped. So it is feeling better than it was last week, but not as good as it was when I was at home.

I guess my ear has trouble adjusting to elevation changes. This will be interesting when I fly to California next week!

The following user gives a hug of support to StudentRyan:
    billcindy1 (03-14-2011)
    Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #22
    Helenfrances
    (female)

Helenfrances HB User

GREAT!!!!! My ear kept popping. I think it's when the gel that holds the implant in place moves about. My doctor said that it gets absorbed by the body but can take some time. My hearing came back after I accidentally blew my nose and then kept popping on and off. I had a hearing test last Wednesday. My 'new' ear isn't quite as good as my right ear but the doctor said I should come back in 3 months because it usually keeps on improving as the gel goes away ). It's so nice to know yo're on the mend Big friendly hug Helen

The following user gives a hug of support to Helenfrances:
    billcindy1 (03-14-2011)
    Old 03-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #23
    billcindy1
    (female)

My three week mark was this past Friday...I too have to say that things seem to have changed for me from then to today. I called my dr. Thurs. evening because I had the worse congestion in my nose and just didn t feel myself. He prescribed an anti-biotic and also said start on nasal decongestion. Still dealing with the worse head cold but getting better.....Well...seems like my hearing also has improved. I also had that ear pop yesterday with one of my many sneezes..and I was able to sit on the couch and actually hear the tv last night...talk about feeling so much better. My doctor also said the same thing about the packing inside the ear when I went to him to get the packing out. I guess he really packed it for added support he said so I guess all the shampoo popping in my ear is how I describe it must be that...I now feel so much better just knowing that something has changed. I think I was expecting that sonic hearing right after the packing came out and was so disappointed. Student Ryan I am sooo happy that things have started to change for you . I too felt like my ears just could not pop and clear out but I now know they will in time being I felt it already twice so far....WOW!!! Feels good to know I am on my way

Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #24
    billcindy1
    (female)

Student Ryan...please let us know how you make out with your hearing test. I am assuming you must be going really soon as I will be going in a week and a half.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #25
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User

BillCindy1, I will be going April 1st. I was supposed to go today (One month since my previous appt) but my college spring break and travel plans pushed it back. I will update when I get back from traveling.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
    billcindy1
    (female)

I will be going one week from Tomorrow, March 28th I believe. I am alittle bit nervous to say the least. I guess I am expecting to much to soon.. was wondering about that pressure you were talking about..I think I am there with you. Feels like my ear is going to blow off my head sometimes...and popping would be a great feeling..but I have not felt that.. . Was wondering if anyone knows if there is more hearing tests to come after the 5 week mark which is what I will be doing next Monday. Just can t seem to remember 17 years ago what took place...How has your hearing been since your trip home...I know you said your ear popped and then reclogged but popped again slightly. Seems like the back noises are tough for me...and voices on tv can be hard to makeout.. Also...how long does it take the inner foam packing to dissolve..I read sometimes months....I will update when I get my hearing test in a week

Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User

BillCindy1: My hearing is close to normal. But even small elevation changes (such as walking down a hill to campus) will cause the pressure in my ear to build up all at once when I swallow and that makes my hearing much worse. Then it slowly adjusts to the elevation but this takes a while.
    I drove to Washington DC and back yesterday through mountainous regions. When climbing elevation my pressure would build greatly on its own or would come all at once as I swallowed. Then, when descending elevation the pressure would completely go away and my hearing seemed normal.
    I feel good that my hearing is normal (when I'm at the right elevation), but now I have a pressure adjustment issue. I will definitely bring this up (as it is really my only complaint) at my appointment on April 1st.
    I fly to California tomorrow afternoon- so I'm hoping my ear behaves and doesn't ruin my trip!

I think my doctor said there is a 6 month follow-up appointment. By this time all recovery will have taken place. Let us know how your appointment goes BillCindy1!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #28
    askrkrao
    (male)

askrkrao HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StudentRyan View Post
    BillCindy1: My hearing is close to normal. But even small elevation changes (such as walking down a hill to campus) will cause the pressure in my ear to build up all at once when I swallow and that makes my hearing much worse. Then it slowly adjusts to the elevation but this takes a while.
    I drove to Washington DC and back yesterday through mountainous regions. When climbing elevation my pressure would build greatly on its own or would come all at once as I swallowed. Then, when descending elevation the pressure would completely go away and my hearing seemed normal.
    I feel good that my hearing is normal (when I'm at the right elevation), but now I have a pressure adjustment issue. I will definitely bring this up (as it is really my only complaint) at my appointment on April 1st.
    I fly to California tomorrow afternoon- so I'm hoping my ear behaves and doesn't ruin my trip!

I think my doctor said there is a 6 month follow-up appointment. By this time all recovery will have taken place. Let us know how your appointment goes BillCindy1!
    Hi student ryan,

Who is your doctor in california?
    Right now i am located at california looking for good surgeon in stapedectomy.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
    StudentRyan
    (male)

StudentRyan HB User

askrkrao: I live on the East Coast, only going to CA for vacation.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
    billcindy1
    (female)

Hi Student Ryan..
    Went for my test yesterday and was disappointed to say the least. My hearing has only improved slightly I was told. but it has improved so I keep saying that. It is not great..but better then what I started with which was not to much.

My doctor was surprised to say the least that my scores were not high..He said the entire surgery went well..everything sealed up perfectly..but my anatamy (sr on spell) plays a part too. We all have an artery that runs thru that area of ear that dissolves in us by age of 12..except 1 in 80K do not..yup I am one of those. So it makes the operation very difficult to say the least and he would not mess with that artery by cutting it but would send me to boson but I am not willing to do that right now..it is there for a reason.He also said something about my incus but for the life of me I can t remember.

So he said a tube in my ear may be what is needed for the pressure in there but for now he is having me use a nasal spray before bed each night to see if it might help as I have been dealing with sinus issues also -darn colds.

I have to say that my ear def. does feel clogged and uncomfortable and worse at times. So I have to give this another month and see where I am at. He also said more hearing might return when I asked.. fingers crossed for even just alittle more.... so in one month I will return and see where we go from there...It has only been five weeks so I need to be just alittle more patient... I go in three weeks for my hearing aid appoint.in my bad ear (other)

If I could do it all again....I would....I can now hear things that I could not..maybe not the best hearing out there..but more then I had. So for that....I am grateful....Still being able to hear my hubby say softly I love you before I go to sleep is all worth it. I could only feel his breath on my face.

Closed Thread