It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• 4 weeks after stapedotomy and still can't feel any better !

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
    ghannaiem
    (male)

ghannaiem HB User
    4 weeks after stapedotomy and still can't feel any better !

hello , i want to share this hoping u could help me . i had a stapedotomy surgery in 11 march this year so it will be a complete month after 5 days and my next appointment with my dr will be after 2 weeks , surgery was done through ear canal and there was no need for incision behind my ear , 2 weeks after surgery the packing was removed and i could hear alittle bit but the thing that happened is that after another 2 weeks i had a slight yellow viscous liquids coming from ear canal and they were odorless so i wondered whether i had an ear infection despite i was very careful along this period and i also had no flu all this time , i took ear drops and 2 day after drainge the ear became dry and there was no more drainge , and since then i feel my ear is blocked , now the question is ...is this normal that after 4 weeks i still couldn't hear well , does the relive period takes so long , when could u hear well or feel differnce after stapedotomy ? i will appreciate your answers and sorry for poor english

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
    rhythm2013
    (male)

rhythm2013 HB User
    Re: 4 weeks after stapedotomy and still can't feel any better !

14 days.. still clogged up.. worse than before surgery.. taste still not returned to normal.. awaiting patiently.. how are u getting on ?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
    ghannaiem
    (male)

ghannaiem HB User

UDATE :

i went to my dr today for urgency as i experienced a developed pain and continuous yellow discharges ,
    the dr told me that it is an inside developing abscess due to an infection in the area where he took a piece of to rebuild the ear drum ( targus cartilage ) .
    knowing that i followed the precautions but i wasn't that careful when i was washing when some water got into my ear canal , and so that the infection happened ! doctors really were not lying when they told you to keep ur ear Dry

so he just made suctions into my ear canal for the pus and i suddenly could hear better ! .. i could see my operated ear drum , was healthy and not yet infected ( thank god ) , he told me that there will be another significant increase in hearing after the abscess healing due to ear canal swelling!
    and then continue to increase for the next 3 months .
    then he put a sponge like thing deep into my ear canal so as to keep the drum safe and just ear drops can reach it , and told me that he will remove it after a week , he prescribed an ear drop and a really powerfull antibiotic- 5 pills / for five days one to be taken once daily and fortunately i could feel
    a little relive from pain , and stopped discharge after only 1 pill !
    i will take the rest and see what will happen ..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
    ghannaiem
    (male)

ghannaiem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhythm2013 View Post
    14 days.. still clogged up.. worse than before surgery.. taste still not returned to normal.. awaiting patiently.. how are u getting on ?
    hello rhythm2013

here is some facts you may experience :

1- you should have felt increase in hearing at the surgery or right after it .( even it is alittle bit or unclear ) its not a measure , although some ppl said that they felt a significant hearing increase right after the surgery , while the others said NO! both are right ! , first ppl had a wider ear canal so the swelling of ear canal didn't block the hearing that much so they could feel difference right after the surgery , while the second ppl have narrower ear canal so there was much hear blocking .

2- even after the packing removal you may feel no better !!!! this really happened to me

3 - it was too late for me to start hearing loudly
    after 3 weeks

4- unfourtunately when i start hearing clearly for the first time since years ( and this was at the middle of 3d week after surgery ) the next 2 day everything wents wrong and i loose the hearing due to the developed infection and i really worried about that so i made my 1st post in this site .

so , please do not worry and let the things go ...and if that makes you better ....you will , somehow feel better at most in the biginning of the 3rd week , after crackling and poping in, out , fluid like sounds in your ear , !

about the taste . it came back to normal after 5 days for me.

but for u if it is still now the same as the operation day , then you should see your dr ..

i hope u get better soon .

ghannaiem.

Last edited by ghannaiem; 04-09-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
    rhythm2013
    (male)

rhythm2013 HB User

Hi Ghan
    Thx for the reply. Glad things are getting better for u .. I agree with u on point 1, my ear canal is very narrow and had incision so I did not hear anything post surgery. Dr said, my staple foot plate is also very small .75mm, so he only had one place put the piston.. I am trying to be patient..

Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
    theresen84
    (female)

theresen84 HB User
    Smile stapedotomy

first of all, sorry my english writing, but hope you understand im from norway and did not find so much information at norwegian pages and i found this page

how do you people doing after the surgery now, how are your hearing?

i had stapedotomy 3 weeks and 5 days ago, and my hearing its not so much better. after 10 days the doctor removed the "bandage" in the ear and after that it was a lot of ecco in the ear. now the ecco its getting better and better, but my hearing... i dont know, its feels worse then it was before the surgery but at the same time its feels like its going better for every day. how long time did it took before you colud hear normal after the surgery?

thanks for any answears, nice to talk to someone who had the same surgery

Closed Thread