It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Help tinnitus sufferer here

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User
    Red face Help tinnitus sufferer here

Hi there,
    I am also an unexpected tinnitus sufferer and i can feel how disappointing is all this one word thing "tinnitus" in everyday life. I am sorry that there are hardly any answers to the cause of tinnitus just they could only put biological point of view like damage in cochlear hair and all which brings no relief to us.

Further more i would also like to put my question to you, i have no idea nor any reason how i got tinnitus for so long , its been more than a month i had my ear operation (myringoplasty) for perforated ear drum which was my second time and i have had started hearing this hissing sound from second day of my operation and i still hear these annoying sound, i do not know any reason for my tinnitus as it was just consecrate to my middle ear for the surgery and i wonder how my cochlear hair got damage, its very hard to live with tinnitus as beginning which i am going through, its very hard to put how it feels in words, this crazy thing drives me crazy. i would be very graceful if you had any answer to my tinnitus and tell me the way to cope with this tinnitus. GOOD DAY !!
    thank you
    bhusan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
    Octans
    (male)

Octans HB UserOctans HB User
    Re: Help tinnitus sufferer here

Well, I'm not clear on the severity of your tinnitus. I've had tinnitus for a long time. I don't think it's all that bad, really. At first, it was annoying and, like you, I could not imagine living that way, but then you get used to it.

I would suggest having some kind of light noise when sleeping. For example, if you have a ceiling fan (or any fan), put that on when you're falling asleep and see if that helps. It does for me. I've head that white noise also helps. Also, try to stop thinking about it. Distract yourself with something you like to do. That you say it's driving you crazy means you're paying it too much mind.

But I think the best thing would be time. Like I said, I've had tinnitus for a long time (years) and as I type, my ear is ringing and doing a "pulsating" ring and to be honest, I don't mind at all. It's not a problem. When I say that, it's not to feed my ego, but it's to give you hope that, yes, you do become accustomed and once the shock of having tinnitus settles, you see it's not so bad. You may think I'm crazy, but sometimes it even helps me relax by focusing on it. You can see what years of this does: turning something like this into a relaxant. I am sure you can do the same. So again, time time time. It's not the quickest solution, but it is the best.

I saw your other posts. Seriously, don't despair so much. And like I said, try what I said when going to sleep: put on a fan, put on some "white noise" (like a TV on, but make sure to set it to turn off by itself if you can do that), even air conditioning if you have it. One thing that will probably take your mind off of it is exercise.

That's all I can say about tinnitus. Maybe I can help more if you ask certain questions. But just about experiences, I'm not a medicine expert, so i can just speak from experience.

Last edited by Octans; 05-01-2013 at 07:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Octans For This Useful Post:
    bhusan (05-05-2013)
    Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

Hi octans,
    At first i would like to thank you for the reply. I hear my tinnitus at all time 24/7. I do not know the the exact loudness of my tinnitus but it is quite bothering during night and early morning than at day, this is may be at day presence of white noise is higher than that of night which helps in suppressing. Like u said the best solution is time and i may adapt with this weird situation later in future which now when i think makes me really sad.
    i tried hearing white noise, pink noise , brown noise, natures sound like rainfall and all which helped me and reduce the intensity when i played it for a while but it is again the same when it is stop, i once tried sleeping playing this pink noise in my laptop in loop all night and i woke up at middle of night with intense tinnitus, i had to off the sound and took nearly an hour for my original tinnitus to come back. i wanted to cry that night thinking that i am bounded with some external force which is impossible for me to unbound it. So from that night i could play the sounds for all night and now i hear those tinnitus masking for several minutes only.
    I am so worried that i have to live with this annoying tinnitus which makes me feel cripple for some of the time. i am just 23 yrs old and would not my tinnitus get loud when i grow old like 40+ or something like that ? . i think ceiling fan or cooler sound would help me and i will try after this month cause i should stay away from cold for my post operation as suggested my doctor and i vaguely wonder the cause why am i getting permanent tinnitus for no reason as i have not listened to any loud music, i got just because of the simple operation Myringoplasty where people with this sort of operation would rarely have tinnitus. how severe is your tinnitus octans, i think pulsatile tinnitus is little easy going than continuous. hope one day this crazy thing ends or may i be able to easily adapt it and forgive my bad english too

Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

Hi octans,
    At first i would like to thank you for the reply. I hear my tinnitus at all time 24/7. I do not know the the exact loudness of my tinnitus but it is quite bothering during night and early morning than at day, this is may be at day presence of white noise is higher than that of night which helps in suppressing. Like u said the best solution is time and i may adapt with this weird situation later in future which now when i think makes me really sad.
    i tried hearing white noise, pink noise , brown noise, natures sound like rainfall and all which helped me and reduce the intensity when i played it for a while but it is again the same when it is stop, i once tried sleeping playing this pink noise in my laptop in loop all night and i woke up at middle of night with intense tinnitus, i had to off the sound and took nearly an hour for my original tinnitus to come back. i wanted to cry that night thinking that i am bounded with some external force which is impossible for me to unbound it. So from that night i could play the sounds for all night and now i hear those tinnitus masking for several minutes only.
    I am so worried that i have to live with this annoying tinnitus which makes me feel cripple for some of the time. i am just 23 yrs old and would not my tinnitus get loud when i grow old like 40+ or something like that ? . i think ceiling fan or cooler sound would help me and i will try after this month cause i should stay away from cold for my post operation as suggested my doctor and i vaguely wonder the cause why am i getting permanent tinnitus for no reason as i have not listened to any loud music, i got just because of the simple operation Myringoplasty where people with this sort of operation would rarely have tinnitus. how severe is your tinnitus octans, i think pulsatile tinnitus is little easy going than continuous. hope one day this crazy thing ends or may i be able to easily adapt it and forgive my bad english too

Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
    Octans
    (male)

Yeah, that tends to happen to me too: my tinnitus seems more intense during early morning and at night. I'm not sure if the 'pink noise' was the cause of your increased tinnitus volume for when you woke up. I often wake up with a louder-than-usual tinnitus in the morning and I don't sleep with anything other than a fan (or A/C if it's hot). If you feel comfortable, you could try again.

Hey, coincidentally I am also 23 years old! I don't think your tinnitus would get any louder as long as you take care not to expose yourself to loud noise (and yes, I know yours wasn't caused by loud noise). But yes, I really recommend the ceiling fan. You can set it to full speed and it does help at night. I also really want to again recommend exercise (supposing you don't already do it), not because it will somehow cure your tinnitus (it won't), but it will take your mind off of it. It will distract you from your tinnitus while you exercise and after that, if you push yourself hard enough, you'll be too tired to care about it (tired in a good way that you're getting stronger). If you already do exercise, then I guess you can disregard what I just said. Also, it's probably not likely but it could be wax that's causing your tinnitus or an inflammation inside your ear. Maybe you can ask your doctor?

The severity of my tinnitus? Well, my tinnitus is constant. It is always there no matter what, so yes it is continuous like yours. My tinnitus is always changing: sometimes it's a steady "eeeee" sound and other times it's pulsating like a "brrre brrree brree" sound, other times it's like a whooshing sound as if someone were blowing into a metallic, hollow pipe. Other times, it's a steady sound with pulses of pronounced noises, so it's something like "eeee-BREE-eeeeeeeeeeee-BREE-eeee".It's also noticeably affected by the weather. If it's humid, then my tinnitus typically by louder than normal (not always) and if the weather is arid then my tinnitus calms down. Stress affects my tinnitus, too. I know for a fact that when I am afraid like you are, or angry, my tinnitus will be worse than normal.

Also, I really want to make this clear for you and I am not trying to get you scared, but to accept it: there is a chance that it may be permanent. I personally have not heard of anyone somehow having their tinnitus disappear for good. Now, you apparently got tinnitus because of an operation, so again I'm not a doctor maybe it will go away, but from my experience and hearing about others: once you get tinnitus then you have it permanently.

Again, I don't want to frighten you and if I did then I apologize, but I think it's something you need to hear and accept. But really, it's not so bad at all. And no, it doesn't make you a cripple at all! It's something new that you haven't experienced, but sooner or later, you're going to get bored with worrying. Maybe after various weeks, months or even a whole year, you will be tired of being sad about the tinnitus and suddenly, the tinnitus will not bother you. You'll see, I promise you that. That is why I told you about it being permanent and to accept it, because if you do that then you'll be able to see it's not as bad as you think it is right now.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. You'll pull through.

The following user gives a hug of support to Octans:
    bhusan (05-07-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Octans For This Useful Post:
    bhusan (05-07-2013)
    Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

Thank you very very much octans, your words are really soothing. I really liked reading your comment and yesterday i tried sleeping with ceiling fan on (speed-1) and it really helped me, i feel like i had no tinnitus when i woke up , the sound was soft and didn't bother me, and i go to exercise early morning just to get tired for night cause i too have built same strategy as u r saying, may be this is because we are on same age .
    Speaking truth i got scared by your second last paragraph, that u have not heard of people once having tinnitus that got away . But yes we have to face the truth no matter whatever the situation is and i cannot go back in time. but we can always be positive, think positive which at-least gives hope to survive and thanks for the promises you made which gave me some good feelings.
    Within my deep heart i am really depressed but with time may be months or a year i may get bored of boring like you said. Octans, do you know what is the cause for your tinnitus?? at what age have u started hearing , where do you live and what to you do for livings. it really feels good to become touch with friends of same age and we both having tinnitus. Talking about me i am just passed out student , an engineer and i am not getting any job here in my country nor any chances for my master degree which again is a type of depression for me because there is no way for me to engage in any sort of work right now and it has been more than 6 months so i am really ****** off with the situation but i am not a depressed kind of person like i seem to be here, people should always see the bright side of the moon. Once again thanks a lot octans and would be nice if we remain touch , i could learn even more from your experiences like for example switching the ceiling fan on at night ..take care

Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
    sarahblue
    (female)

sarahblue HB User

Hi Bhusan hope your feeling better it really is a awful condition , i really do believe they will find a cure for this condition one day . I hadn't realised how common tinnitus is until i started suffering from it . There are things you might want to try ,there is a treatment that is supposed to reduce the ringing in some patients called acoustic neuromodulation , sounds scary but its just listening to music . Or if you have hearing problems you could try a hearing aid. There is lots of help out there , hope you get some relief soon.

Last edited by sarahblue; 05-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
    sarahblue
    (female)

sarahblue HB User
    Smile Re: Help tinnitus sufferer here

Hi Bhusan hope your feeling better it really is a awful condition , i really do believe they will find a cure for this condition one day . I hadn't realised how common tinnitus is until i started suffering from it . There are things you might want to try ,there is a treatment that is supposed to reduce the ringing in some patients called acoustic neuromodulation , sounds scary but its just listening to music . Or if you have hearing problems you could try a hearing aid. There is lots of help out there , hope you get some relief soon.

P

Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

yeah lets hope they find the cure soon, how did you suffer from tinnitus sarah ? ..i dont wanna wear hearing aid, i have low hearing loss though i can communicate with people i guess , it is just my right ear my left ear is super fine, sometime i really find this tinnitus thing completely astonishing , do you know this happens after cochlear hair gets damaged or destroyed :-O. Why in earth has all this sort of rules, and why not this hairs grow like normal hairs after it gets damaged for such a small reason we got to suffer like hell ..lets be positive again may be the god wants us to live with this which may overcome us to find some hidden treasure which would not be possible without tinnitus

Old 05-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
    sarahblue
    (female)

sarahblue HB User

[QUOTE=bhusan;5171672]yeah lets hope they find the cure soon, how did you suffer from tinnitus sarah ? ..i dont wanna wear hearing aid, i have low hearing loss though i can communicate with people i guess , it is just my right ear my left ear is super fine, sometime i really find this tinnitus thing completely astonishing , do you know this happens after cochlear hair gets damaged or destroyed :-O. Why in earth has all this sort of rules, and why not this hairs grow like normal hairs after it gets damaged for such a small reason we got to suffer like hell ..lets be positive again may be the god wants us to live with this which may overcome us to find some hidden treasure which would not be possible without tinnitus [/

Hi Bhusan I noticed my tinnitus about a year ago , although mine is not nearly as bad as some people's , its a soft ringing which i just hear in quite rooms . I dont think mines is cochlear damage its because i have glue ear . My husband also suffers from tinnitus , i hadn't realised how common it is . Is your tinnitus loud ? I understand why you wouldnt want to wear a hearing aid ,but its a option for you if the tinnitus gets too much .

Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

hi sarah,
    today is my 39th day from my ear operation and i have started hearing from the second day, initially it was very loud , intense tinnitus and got little lower after 7 days where the ear packs from my ear were removed. I thought my tinnitus was the cause of ear trauma and would go very soon but it was not as expected, it continued ringing and i got very worried and still i am. I am not sure but i am feeling that the loudness of my tinnitus is getting lower not day to day but slowly, mostly i hear in silent place, time and more louder when i try to sleep with my head lowered. It is good that your tinnitus is not that loud and does not bother you that bad, cheers !! At last just to know what you mean by glue ear ? ..anyway take care sarah

Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
    Octans
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhusan View Post
    Thank you very very much octans, your words are really soothing. I really liked reading your comment and yesterday i tried sleeping with ceiling fan on (speed-1) and it really helped me, i feel like i had no tinnitus when i woke up , the sound was soft and didn't bother me, and i go to exercise early morning just to get tired for night cause i too have built same strategy as u r saying, may be this is because we are on same age .
    Speaking truth i got scared by your second last paragraph, that u have not heard of people once having tinnitus that got away . But yes we have to face the truth no matter whatever the situation is and i cannot go back in time. but we can always be positive, think positive which at-least gives hope to survive and thanks for the promises you made which gave me some good feelings.
    Within my deep heart i am really depressed but with time may be months or a year i may get bored of boring like you said. Octans, do you know what is the cause for your tinnitus?? at what age have u started hearing , where do you live and what to you do for livings. it really feels good to become touch with friends of same age and we both having tinnitus. Talking about me i am just passed out student , an engineer and i am not getting any job here in my country nor any chances for my master degree which again is a type of depression for me because there is no way for me to engage in any sort of work right now and it has been more than 6 months so i am really ****** off with the situation but i am not a depressed kind of person like i seem to be here, people should always see the bright side of the moon. Once again thanks a lot octans and would be nice if we remain touch , i could learn even more from your experiences like for example switching the ceiling fan on at night ..take care
    I'm glad my post could help cheer you up in some way! I saw that you said your tinnitus is slowly getting lower, that is excellent news. Keep us updated with that if the tinnitus volume continues to get lower. When you asked why does tinnitus even happen, I become interested. I found this article here, very interesting:

Search for this on Google: Tinnitus: Is This What Happens When the Brain's Gatekeeper Breaks Down?

In summary, I will quote the article here: "They propose that the limbic system—a linked network of brain structures involved in emotion, behavior, and long-term memory—acts as a gatekeeper to keep the tinnitus signal from reaching the auditory cortex, the part of the brain that mediates our conscious perception of sounds. In people with tinnitus, they suggest, the gate has broken."

Anyway, about me? I've had tinnitus since about 9 or 10 years old. I think it was caused by my dad playing loud music every week and I was too young to realize that I could walk away, causing the damage to build up. So now I have permanent ringing. I have tinnitus in both ears: strongest on the right ear and very faint on the left. Also, I have moderate hearing loss on my left ear (but they told me that I was actually born that way) and a slight one on my right ear. So, you can see that overall my hearing is quite poor. After all this time, I am simply used to tinnitus and don't care about it. I think you can achieve the same.

I live in Florida, United States. I repair computers and I'm going back to college this autumn. I tried college when I was 18, but I was not mature enough to handle it and I did not have a clue what I wanted to do in life, so I did not do well because I had zero motivation. I am now old enough to realize how seriously I need to take it. Some people (like me) need more time to realize such things I saved up money and I'm going to base my studies on physics. After I did poorly in college, I actually started teaching myself things. I taught myself mathematics, astronomy and physics and found out that I very much enjoy these things. Now, at age 23, I have a reason to go back to college and am very excited to be going back.

Again, best of luck with your tinnitus. It's also nice to relate to someone with my age.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

hi octans, it is very nice to know about your exciting fun life ahead ,and 23 is not that old enough you can consider yourself young , i figured that you are a hard working guy who has worked lot , gained experience and saved money for your studies which is really appreciable for a person like me. Wish you a better college life and good studies as you got some motivation and felt mature enough, talking to you tinnitus has not been good to me but it is also not that bad as the shock of having it is eliminate. I will also try to look forward for my better life from now lets hope good. CHEERS !! fren

Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
    bhusan
    (male)

bhusan HB User

we will talk later octans

Last edited by bhusan; 05-09-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: correction

Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
    Narue
    (female)

Narue HB User

Has the tinnitus in your ear stopped? I had a myringotomy alittle over a week ago and have had this ringing in the ear ever since. I know the procedure caused this as I never had it before. Did surgery cause yours as well? Has it gone away or decreased any. I'm wanting to know what to expect from this. Did uthe doctor damage my ear somehow with this procedure? Please let me know what to expect. I remember years ago trying to get some wax out of my other ear and I picked at my ear so badly that it started ringing and rang for days and days but it did eventually stop. Had to be from an aggravated eardrum. Don't know if this is something similar to that or if I am stuck with this forever. Would like to know your experience.

Closed Thread