It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Problems from stapedectomy I had on 5/17/13

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
    darlinglady28
    (female)

darlinglady28 HB User
    Problems from stapedectomy I had on 5/17/13

Hi guys, newbie here! I have otosclerosis and had the stapedectomy done on 5/17. I'm 11 days post op now and still very dizzy. How long did yours last if at all? My first few days were terrible. I couldn't move because of the dizziness and nausea. It's better now, but I was hoping I'd be back at work this week, but there's no way, and my employer isn't very happy with me. I have to move painfully slow to get around. I also have tinnitus now, and I didn't have it before the surgery. It started 2 days ago. Just a small ringing. I'm also hearing weird small clicking noises in my ear? Don't know what that's about. No hearing improvement yet either, but
    I've been reading that it took some of you months so I've decided not to worry about that yet. Also, I have the weird taste on my tongue on my operated side. I know this is normal. How long should I expect it? Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
    urb
    (male)

urb HB User
    Re: Problems from stapedectomy I had on 5/17/13

Hi there - I'll answer based on my personal experience, but keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to the surgery. My dizziness lasted about a week. The weird taste in my tongue lasted a very long time (over a month). Heck, it lasted so long that I probably got used to it and don't even know whether I got my regular taste buds back at all!

The clicking sound in the ear can be a lot of things, so better not to speculate or get nervous. Ask your doctor. Has the bandage from your ear been removed? If not, it could just be some of the blood/ discharge still in the ear. Or it could be a lose prosthesis, though lets hope its not.

As regards your employer issues, my suggestion would be to prioritize your health before your work. (Easier said than done, I know.) Your health is more important. Extend your medical leave if you can.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to urb For This Useful Post:
    darlinglady28 (06-04-2013)
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
    darlinglady28
    (female)

darlinglady28 HB User

Thanks for the reply! The dizziness is better now, but still way more than what I think is normal. I have to walk and move around in turtle speed so I won't get too dizzy or lose my balance. Clicking and tinnitus is still there. My hearing so far is worse than it was pre op so I'm just hoping there still a lot of fluid and swelling that's keeping me from hearing. The Dr. said the other packing hasn't absorbed yet either so that could be another thing.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
    Jaretr1
    (male)

Jaretr1 HB User

It took me 3 months or so before I have felt things have normalized in my ear. I did not have any dizziness or nausea post surgery, but my hearing was initially worse and took months before it has normalized. I had sensation of fluid in my ear for months.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
    darlinglady28
    (female)

darlinglady28 HB User

I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and thinking this surgery was not worth it for me. Still dizzy when I turn my head, very off balance, my head feels heavy and foggy, it's hard for me to concentrate, and I tire pretty fast. I haven't been able to go back to work yet. I groom dogs and I'm just not steady enough to use scissors so close to a pets face or trim very even. My hearing has came back a little. I pretty much lost it all after the surgery, but it's better now. Maybe just slightly better than pre op. I have tinnitus now though that I never had before surgery. Dr says it may stick around or go at any time. Ringing, clicking, hear beat, roaring. Sometimes it's so loud I feel like I have to try to talk over it and then I'm too loud. I haven't drove because I'm afraid I'll wreck. My Dr. just says I need more time, but I've got a job and 3 small kids that need me. Anyone else in my boat?

Closed Thread