It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Primary Surgery or Revision stapedectomy or nothing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
    urb
    (male)

urb HB User
    Primary Surgery or Revision stapedectomy or nothing?

Hi all - I'm a newbie to this forum and am looking for some advise.

I'm 32 years old now. In 2004, I was diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears. I had a stapedectomy performed on my right ear in 2006. After the operation, the hearing in my right ear had improved but had not fully regained. Doctor had suspected it may be a lose prosthesis, but couldn't confirm. I continued on with life, but had to wear hearing aid in left ear in certain situations (typically in office set ups where everyone would talk softly).

Fast forward to today, hearing in my right ear is almost back to pre-surgery levels (only about 5-10 decibel better than pre-surgery). Left ear has deteriorated about 10 decibel in last 7 years. At this point, my right ear (which was operated on) is about 10 decibels better than my left "natural" ear. (I'm in the moderate to moderate-severe hearing loss range.)

I have received conflicting views from doctors/ surgeons about whether I should conduct a primary stapedectomy surgery in my left ear or a revision stapedectomy in the right. All of them agree that the risk of "complications" is higher in a revision. The statistics of 70% success rate in revision surgery and 95% success rates in primary surgeries are wasted on me, because guess what - I was part of the 5% who's primary surgery failed!

Audiologists suggested I get no surgery done, and just continue using a hearing aid. My job requires attending meeting/ conferences and constant conversing, and I feel awkward wearing a hearing aid. I can see my performance suffering as I'm turning into an introvert in a job which requires me to speak and hear to stand out.

What would you do in my situation? Primary, revision or no surgery at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    hearing aids, otosclerosis, stapedectomy