It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• stapedectomy - post-op symptoms and worries

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
    mspgh
    (male)

mspgh HB User
    Re: stapedectomy - post-op symptoms and worries

Personally I dont know of any surgeons in New Orleans, however its a big city so I would expect to find several surgeons that can perform stapedectomies. You may also want to expand your search to include areas that are at least within driving distance (and covered under your insurance plan, if necessary).

I would start by searching the archives of this board, or maybe some google searches of "stapedectomy New Orleans" and see what comes up.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
    mspgh
    (male)

mspgh HB User

You may want to start with the Shea Ear Clinic in Memphis. I dont know if thats close enough to New Orleans, but I believe they are very familiar with this procedure. John Shea invented the procedure and performed the first stapedectomy in the 1950s. If that is too far for you, maybe they could recommend somebody closer.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
    mspgh
    (male)

mspgh HB User

I also found an old thread on this board and a user recommeneded a surgeon in New Orleans. Unfortunately I dont think I can post a link to the thread, but if you google "shea stapedectomy healthboards" the thread should come up in the top 5 results.

The user's name is "Sallyndh" and you may still be able to get in touch with that person although its an old thread from 2008. In any case, its a lead.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
    MicShi7
    (male)

MicShi7 HB User

mspgh and others -

Thanks for the information and help. I have an appointment at the Shea Ear Clinic in Memphis next week. I'm doubtful that anyone can provide much help, but I must give it a try. I was stunned by my audiogram after the surgery which indicated mild to profound sensorineural hearing loss in the high frequencies (2000 HZ and above). The hearing loss is profound at 6000 and 8000 HZ. The sound distortion in that ear along with the constant tinnitus is very disturbing. I don't know how much a hearing aid would help. I'm desperate for a solution and relief.

0250.Hz L-15
    0500.Hz L-15
    1000.Hz L-20
    2000.Hz L-25
    3000.Hz L-40
    4000.Hz L-55
    6000.Hz L-105
    8000.Hz L-110

Last edited by MicShi7; 08-23-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
    mspgh
    (male)

mspgh HB User

MicShi7-

That doesn't sound like great news, however try not to lose hope. You will be in good hands at the Shea Ear Clinic. They are one of the best in the country and if anybody can help you, they can.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
    MicShi7
    (male)

MicShi7 HB User

Hello everyone. Here's an update on my condition. I went to the Shea Ear Clinic in Memphis and had a consultation with Dr. John Emmett. He's a wonderful and compassionate doctor that really cares about his patients. He spent a good deal if time with me and was quite thorough. An audiogram revealed that I have made very significant gains where I had lost my high frequency hearing. As a matter of fact, I'm back in the normal range in the 2000 to 4000 Hz range. The doctor expects that I will make a full recovery in the next two to three months. In addition, the doctor feels that my tinnitus will diminish or even go away. Over the last couple of days it has been diminishing somewhat. It's such a relief. I have hope once again. This is a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

Closed Thread