It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• High ringing sound and low hearing after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
    sibi
    (male)

sibi HB User
    High ringing sound and low hearing after surgery

Hi,

I had stepdoctomy surgery last 22 july. now it is 3 weeks. reason i went for the surgery is i cannot hear low voice and i went to a doctor and he said there is a bone that grown up across the cannel. he replace the stples in my inner ear.

after the surgery i hear high ringing sound and this ringing sound is not there before the surgery. i consulted the same doctor and he said every thing is fine. now its 3 weeks and still am hearing the ringing sound continously.

and i feel the difference in hearing.After surgery i cannot hear the voice not even as before the surgery. i am very much worried about the surgery now.

May be this hearing will increase and ringing sound in my ear will go off after a month??

Does anyone had the same

Thnaks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
    mspgh
    (male)

mspgh HB User
    Re: High ringing sound and low hearing after surgery

Give it more time. I know from experience that its difficult to be patient, but that is what you have to do.

Results and recovery times seem to vary widely, depending on the surgeon, how advanced the condition was, the type of packing they use in the ear, etc... wait until the ear is fully healed and a proper hearing test is conducted by your doctor, then you can accurately assess the results of the surgery.

You can read my threads about my stapedectomy recovery experiences. With my first stapedectomy, I noticed improvements in hearing and a reduction in tinnitus in about 7-10 days, which is fairly quick and probably somewhat atypical. I am only one day post-op on my left side stapedectomy so we will see how that progresses. The surgeon did test my hearing immediately after the surgery and there was improvement at 500Hz and 100Hz, so I am optimistic.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
    sibi
    (male)

sibi HB User

Thanks for your replay. now its 3rd week for me after the surgery. i am hearing ringing sound continously for the whole day after my surgery. before surgery i dont have this kind of ringing sound in my ear. The ringing sound in the ear after the surgery is it normal??
    or is it a healing problem?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
    MicShi7
    (male)

MicShi7 HB User

I am having the same problems. Have you had your packing removed yet? I had mine removed yesterday. It appears that my surgery results have fallen into the approximately 2% of patients whose hearing gets worse after surgery. My post op hearing test indicated that I did gain ground in the low frequencies where I was having problems, but now I have lost some of my high frequency hearing plus I have continuous ringing in my ears which was not there before. The doctor said that the ringing was likely due to my high frequency hearing loss. My overall hearing is worse now than before the surgery. So now I am obviously regretting that I had the surgery. This is not to say that you will have the same results because everyone is different. Anyway, the doctor put me on a 10 course of steroid prednisone as there is some hope with this medication that I can regain some of my high frequency hearing loss and diminish to the tinnitus. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread