It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Second Stapedectomy Report 8/12/13

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
    akisa
    (male)

akisa HB User
    Re: Second Stapedectomy Report 8/12/13

Can u tell what were your preop and post op air and bone conductive(in db) thresholds ? I have bone conductive hearing loss on right ear due to translocation or fraction of the stapes. So its not otosclerosis but air bone gap is pretty big, about 35db with sensoneural hearing being normal and bone conductive threshold at 10db vs 45db with air conductive hearing. I am considering laser surgery maybe i heard its more efficent, is that what u did also?
    Best regards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
    Fantine
    (female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I know that with otosclerosis, the general consensus is that the bone gap should be at least 20-25 dB before you are a candidate for a stapedectomy. My surgeon closed a 30 dB bone gap in my left ear with the stapedectomy.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
    akisa
    (male)

akisa HB User

I am glad your surgery went well. I guess it depends from the surgeons skills and where's the problem in the ear. 30db improvment is pretty good result. Do you maybe know is it possible to see ossicular chain condition from an MR image before i make the decision to do the surgery.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
    Fantine
    (female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akisa View Post
    I am glad your surgery went well. I guess it depends from the surgeons skills and where's the problem in the ear. 30db improvment is pretty good result. Do you maybe know is it possible to see ossicular chain condition from an MR image before i make the decision to do the surgery.
    I don't know about an MRI, but my surgeon sent me for a CT scan after he suspected otosclerosis. The radiology report said there was no evidence of otosclerosis, but the surgeon called me a few days later and said that he could see the otosclerosis on the scan and recommended that I have bilateral stapedectomies.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #20
    Narue
    (female)

Narue HB User

May I ask you some questions about stapedectomy. What are some of the reasons that they are performed? Are there different reasons that they are done? What happens to the eardrum? Do they go thru the ear or cut on the head? You must be very brave to be able to withstand this? What was your ear condition that you had this surgery? Why do they pack the ear like they do? Does the packing ever not totally dissolve in the ear and like stay in there indefinitely? I would be so scared. What is the packing made of? I have something I might call an echo in my ear but am not sure if that is what it is. Do you mean a vibration in the ear when you speak or an actual echo like where you hear the word said a second time? I'm just wondering if it is the same thing that I have. Do they remove all the ear bones when they do this surgery? What prothesis types are available and which is best? What are they made of? Thank you for sharing.

Closed Thread