It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Post stapedectomy hearing loss...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
    Maria Patricia
    (female)

Maria Patricia HB User
    Post stapedectomy hearing loss...

One week ago I had my second stapedectomy. I could hear when scratching the cotton ball in my operated ear and a faint dial tone after picking up the receiver. Six days later I could no longer hear either so I called my doctor who told me to come in. First he removed the outer packing and gave me a hearing test saying that my hearing had decreased by 30%. However, I can hear again when scratching the cotton ball and a dial tone but I still cannot hear well enough to talk on the phone with my newly operated ear.

My doctor has put me on steroids. I'm still putting drops in my ears and believe that's there's still inner packing prohibiting me from hearing. My doctor's afraid that there's nerve damage. Has anyone had this experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
    Fantine
    (female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
    Re: Post stapedectomy hearing loss...

If you just had your stapedectomy a week ago, it sounds like a little early to worry about not being able to hear, as your ear canal probably has both blood clots and the packing in it, which block sound waves from reaching your ear. Maybe you can get a second opinion?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
    Maria Patricia
    (female)

Maria Patricia HB User
    Re: Post stapedectomy hearing loss...

Thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday morning I used the last of my drops and last night I noticed an improvement. Today my ear still feels plugged. I still can't hear as well as I could before the surgery but at least I can hear.

Closed Thread