It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy Surgery Report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
    Etty2385
    (female)

Etty2385 HB User
    Stapedectomy Surgery Report

Hello everyone,
    I just got my stape. Surgery Dont this Thursday 9/12 & I want to talk a little about my experience so far and would like to see if someone that has been through it already put some input? :/ it's hard to talk about this when no one in my circle of friends knows what the heck I'm talking about! Anyway, my surgery went well. Or that's what my mom tells me my surgeon said to her. I was dizzy, little pain in my ear felt like I pushed a QTip a little too far. I was maybe too confused to tell but on my taxi ride home I swear I heard the wind extra loud. Or than usual. When I went home and laid down I heard te fan. Also very unusual. I also heard the fridge and normally when people whisper to me I can't hear it but my siblings and fiends would whisper and I could make out what they were saying pretty darn well! I had blood discharge that same day and dizziness. The next day no pain, blood discharge, or hearing I can hear it just feels muffled and I think it may be because of the packing which I have to go this Friday 9/20 to get removed. Anyways, it's been 4 days since my surgery and so far I don't have any dizziness, mild close to no pain, but my heading is Ok. It's not significant better. Today is 9/15. I'm worries that maybe I'll move the plate around or the newly fixed bone. Also today I got some drumming in my ear. It's keeping me from sleeping right now I've been up since 4 am because I woke up. Does Anyone know if this will keep up? Also if I'll be able to bear when the packing is out? Thank you for reading!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
    Fantine
    (female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy Surgery Report

Everything that you've been experiencing sound completely normal to me. Some people seem to hear soft sounds immediately after the operation, but that goes away as blood clots form in your ear and block the ear canal, which already has gelform in it (packing against the eardrum). You have to wait until both the packing is removed AND the blood clots dry up before sound waves can get through the ear canal to your eardrum. I think that most people start to hear low frequencies noises about 10-14 days after surgery, and then your hearing increases for a few months afterwards.

The drumming that you're hearing is your heartbeat. You're hearing it because, as I said before, your ear canal is blocked by packing and blood clots, so that nothing from the outside world is getting through. That will go away once the ear canal reopens, so don't worry about it, as it's a common experience.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
    Fantine
    (female)

Everything that you've been experiencing sounds completely normal to me. Some people seem to hear soft sounds immediately after the operation, but that goes away as blood clots form in your ear and block the ear canal, which already has gelform in it (packing against the eardrum). You have to wait until both the packing is removed AND the blood clots dry up before sound waves can get through the ear canal to your eardrum. I think that most people start to hear low frequencies noises about 10-14 days after surgery, and then your hearing increases for a few months afterwards.

The drumming that you're hearing is your heartbeat. You're hearing it because, as I said before, your ear canal is blocked by packing and blood clots, so that nothing from the outside world is getting through. That will go away once the ear canal reopens, so don't worry about it, as it's a common experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
    Etty2385 (09-15-2013)
    Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
    Etty2385
    (female)

Etty2385 HB User

Thank you I feel a lot better about what you just told me. Although I have a question about tinnitus, would the drumming also be that? Before the surgery I ever or barely had any ringing, drumming or sounds at all. Out of curiosity I tried to match my heart beats and the drum beats and they seem to be very similar.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
    Fantine
    (female)

Yes, the drumming is your heartbeat. You're hearing the blood through the veins in your head. It should go away gradually as your brain gets used to hearing things again. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
    sharon50613
    (female)

sharon50613 HB User

I had a stapendectomy last Thursday on my right ear at U of Iowa Hospitals. I noticed my hearing was really good the right after surgery. I had the nausea patch behind my ear so I did not get sick this time. I could hear the humming of the machines in my room (I spend the night there) and my sister whispering, and the surgeon whispering in my ear in the OR. Today it seems likes it has gone down alot. They said for the first month it will get better and worse. It makes sense what you said about the swelling, packing and blood! They used disolvable packing on me. I do not think I have packing in my ear canal. Just inside my ear but I could be wrong.

I did start taking Advil (okayed with Dr) to reduce the swelling as well as Zrytec and Bendryl for allergies. In the first couple of days I did notice the pulsing in my ear throbbing. My ear drum also sometimes has been doing a thing where it pops and moves in a spasmic fashion. I am trying to be so careful and rest as much as possible. It feels like there is pulling in my ear area and neck and at times a sharp pinching in my ear. I have slight numbness in the top of my tongue.

I had my left ear done 10 years ago. I was so nauseous after surgery I threw up. I don't recall the last time the ear drum spasming, the pinching or the ear throbbing as much. I did remember my hearing getting worse before I left the hospital though. The surgery did help but I had enough nerve loss that I still wore hearing aids in both ears. I am hoping for better results this time with my right. My loss is moderate to severe in varying DB.

I appreciate everyones input. I have been listening to voice mails with both ears to see how my ear is doing. Before this am, I could hear better on my right than on my left with a hearing aid in. Today its gone down. I am praying this is not permanent. Did anyone else experience this kind of fluctuation?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
    Fantine
    (female)

It's perfectly normal. There are blood clots in your middle ear next to your eardrum from the surgery, plus other bodily fluids. Your hearing is fluctuating as these clots and fluids go up and down. Once everything dries up (usually 7-10 days), the sound waves will begin to be transmitted normally to the ossicles bones and your stapes prosthetic. I heard a clear "pop" in my left ear when the blood clots separated from the eardrum after my first stapedectomy, but not for the second one on my right ear (I just noticed that I could finally hear in that ear). So, don't worry, everything that you are experiencing is very normal.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
    sharon50613
    (female)

sharon50613 HB User

I am just concerned that I could hear so well the first couple of days but it seems like that went away. I hope it comes back. What is the average gain you guys got from the surgery?

Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
    Fantine
    (female)

I've read lots of comments from people that they initially had GREAT hearing immediately after the surgery, and then lost it during the recovery period. I have to assume that that is due to the accumulation of blood clots forming after the surgery.

As for the gain I got, it was about 40-50 db in the lower frequencies, and maybe 10-15 db in the upper frequencies. I still have a moderate loss in the upper frequencies in my right ear, which is not a conductive loss.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
    sharon50613
    (female)

sharon50613 HB User

But even though they lost it in recovery period, their hearing came back eventually right?

It is so hard not to be alarmed by it. It almost makes me want to cry!

It is awesome how much gain you had!!!! I could hear so good after surgery. I know I can't gain more than what I can hear with the air loss due to the nerve damage but it would be awesome to get that much back. Do you wear hearing aids still?

Last edited by sharon50613; 05-30-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
    Fantine
    (female)

The success rate for stapedectomies is over 95%, so yes, AFAIK, everyone got their hearing back, or at least their conductive (bone) loss. As you know, the surgery does nothing for nerve-related hearing loss, and sometimes, the conductive loss masks a nerve loss. Since you did have good hearing right after the operation, that means that the prosthetic is working properly, as is your auditory nerve. That's good news, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't wear hearing aids now, but the audiologist did caution me that if I continue to experience nerve-related hearing loss in my right ear, I might need to start wearing a hearing aid in that ear in a few years. So, I'm enjoying it while I can!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
    mommales
    (female)

mommales HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fantine View Post
    I heard a clear "pop" in my left ear when the blood clots separated from the eardrum after my first stapedectomy, but not for the second one on my right ear (I just noticed that I could finally hear in that ear). So, don't worry, everything that you are experiencing is very normal.
    I had that pop too. And then suddenly things got pretty loud and clear. I'm 3 days post-op and am hoping for some good results on this ear as well.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #13
    Gibriela
    (female)

Gibriela HB User

Hello guys!

Im on the day 20 after Stapedectomy. My package was taken out 3 days ago and my ear was vacumed as well.
    I still have the feeling of having something inside my ear or the feeling that my ear is blocked. I can hear but not so much better than before the op. I could say just a little bit better than before. I saw you wrote that it should be better after 7-10 days but I dont know... I mean of course its better because while I had the package inside I could not hear anything at all but know I just feel like before or like I said, just little bit better. My lost was among 30-60% counductive and 25% neurosensorial.

I woud like to hear your experiences after a coulple of months. Did you star to feel the difference as time passed by? Please I really need to know it will feel better Im so stressed and anxious now. I have a hearing test in 3 weeks so I really cant wait!

Hope everything is great with all of you!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
    diane132
    (female)

diane132 HB User

I had a stapedotomy two weeks ago by Dr. Jackler in the bay area. My hearing is as of now noticeably better. I had very little pain, and one 45 minute bout of vertigo. I heard and still hear the crackling from time to time. I hear the squeaks, the drum beats (as another poster described it). The dr. said it is all normal and to be patient. I even have had my hearing seem to get better then back off, then get better again. I notice the drum beats more if I lie flat at night, so I try to sleep propped up on three pillows. I have a hearing test in ten days, and will report more after that.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
    stacygo8
    (female)

stacygo8 HB User

I had my surgery Monday and hear nothing. I know the packing is in there, but I very nervous that I made a mistake, I still had some hearing in that ear. Just needed to put thay out there. Also, when were you able to wash your hair?

Closed Thread

Tags
    hearing, hearing disability, stapedectomy