It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Ear ringing from middle ear infection - tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
    diskodan
    (male)

diskodan HB User
    Ear ringing from middle ear infection - tinnitus

Hello,

almost two weeks ago I came down with a flu. Couple days into it my left ear clogged up after a shower and the next morning my ear was still clogged, painful and I had this high pitched buzzing sound that just would not go away. After 2 days of it not getting better I decided to go to urgent care.

Dr. said it was a middle ear infection and prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day for 10 days. 5 days into it the pain was gone, but I was still clogged and I still had the high pitched buzzing sound 24 hours a day. I could not sleep, could not work, I was really freaking out. I made an appointment with a ENT Dr.

He took a look at my ear and said my ear was swollen and water and puss was trapped and said the noise will go away once it healed. I complained about how it was taking a toll on my sleep and work, so he prescribed a steroid for 7 days saying it will help with the swelling. I am on the last day of the steroid and I am still hearing the high pitch noise.

I read many post about this and most post the noise has not gone away for anyone. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and had the noise go away?

I'm having a difficult time dealing with this, and my wife is tired of me complaining about it, and some of my family think i'm making it up; telling me things like to eat pineapple to make it go away, or stick cotton in my ear.

Has anybody had to change occupations due to this? If this is something that will not go away, I do not see anyway I can keep doing my current job.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by diskodan; 10-07-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
    sadgirl74
    (female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User
    Re: Ear ringing from middle ear infection - tinnitus

did you ever get relief ? i to am a fellow sufferer of the ringing ears. i have no clue what it is, but i notice when i take super strong nyquil sinus tabs it really used to help. i am going to try it again for a few days and see if it helps. i am sorry for your agony, i know how it feels. hugs from denver

Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskodan View Post
    Hello,

almost two weeks ago I came down with a flu. Couple days into it my left ear clogged up after a shower and the next morning my ear was still clogged, painful and I had this high pitched buzzing sound that just would not go away. After 2 days of it not getting better I decided to go to urgent care.

Dr. said it was a middle ear infection and prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day for 10 days. 5 days into it the pain was gone, but I was still clogged and I still had the high pitched buzzing sound 24 hours a day. I could not sleep, could not work, I was really freaking out. I made an appointment with a ENT Dr.

He took a look at my ear and said my ear was swollen and water and puss was trapped and said the noise will go away once it healed. I complained about how it was taking a toll on my sleep and work, so he prescribed a steroid for 7 days saying it will help with the swelling. I am on the last day of the steroid and I am still hearing the high pitch noise.

I read many post about this and most post the noise has not gone away for anyone. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and had the noise go away?

I'm having a difficult time dealing with this, and my wife is tired of me complaining about it, and some of my family think i'm making it up; telling me things like to eat pineapple to make it go away, or stick cotton in my ear.

Has anybody had to change occupations due to this? If this is something that will not go away, I do not see anyway I can keep doing my current job.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds like Tinnitus and if it has come about since you got the Flu, then it will most likely go though it could take a few weeks.
    I have suffered with Tinnitus most of my life and I'm in my sixties, I have learned in all these years to mostly ignore it because the more you focus on it the more you will notice it.
    Sometimes the noise can be louder than others.
    I have noticed if I use earplugs it is not so obvious. If yours continues after a few weeks ask to be referred to an ENT Dr who will do tests to see if it is Tinnitus,

Solofelix.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Diskodan I hope your tinnitus goes away...you are doing everything you can right now. I got my t either after using augmentin or a stressful event that happened at the same time, 6 months ago. My husband and family are tired of hearing about it too...it's horrible to possibly have to live with this forever but I'm taking it one day at a time, use a noise app on the ipad to sleep and medication. I hope to be able to get used to it eventually. Some days are easier than others.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
    Mimi315
    (female)

Mimi315 HB User

Have you been able to find relief from the tinnitus? I started having the ringing ears about 3 months ago after I had the flu. Unfortunately I have not found any solution yet. The ringing is hard to ignore a lot of times and I'm having a hard time not thinking about. My Dr wasn't much help and is referring me to an Audiologist. There's currently no infection (although there might have been months ago) and very little fluid so he didn't have a clue what was causing it. I have noticed they are more sensitive to sounds and sometimes pop and have a dull ache from time to time. I am also having jaw pain (started at the same time) and headaches, and about 3 weeks ago started seeing some spots. Everything I've read so far doesn't seem to have any solutions so I'm hoping hearing other people's stories can help.

Closed Thread

Tags
    tinnitus