It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Second stapedectomy (10/22)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
    Fantine
    (female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
    Second stapedectomy (10/22)

So, I bit the bullet and had the same surgeon who operated successfully on my left ear operate on the right ear yesterday. I had a much harder time with nausea and recovering from the general anesthesia than the first operation. The first time, I thew up once and that was it. Yesterday, I was throwing up a lot, and then they give me a phenergan injection, which just made me so weak and tired that the nurses had to get me dressed. And they were insistent that my friends take me home at noon, because they were getting the people for the 2 pm operations ready. My poor friend was driving with me in the back throwin up into a plastic bag.

Right now, I'm having a lot of pulsatile tinnitus in the right ear, which was not the case with the left ear operation. It's very loud because it's not masked by any external sound and is very distracting. I had pulsatile tinnitus in that ear before, and now it's even louder, unfortunately. As tired as I was last night, it kept on waking me up. Because I had some mild nasal congestion, the surgeon has me on oral antibiotics and nasal spray for a few days. I have very little discharge on the cotton balls so far, but it looks like a piece of the gelform packing came out on one of the cotton balls (at least I hope that it's gelform and not my eardrum!).

When I had the first operation, the right ear "poppped" and I began to hear low frequencies sounds 8 days after the operation. Can't wait to get some relief from the tinnitus with external sounds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
    Fantine
    (female)

Re: Second stapedectomy (10/22)

Almost exactly on schedule, my right ear started "popping" on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, and I'm starting to regain hearing again, especially lower frequencies. Drove in the car today and it sounded as if the muffler had fallen off! I see the surgeon tomorrow and have the packing removed, so I'm looking foward to getting some middle and upper frequencies back again.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
    Fantine
    (female)

Re: Second stapedectomy (10/22)

Surgeon was able to remove most of the packing from the right ear yesterday, using a scrapper and then suction (oh, boy, that's loud!). A little piece was stuck, and he said to leave it alone for now, and it will either fall out on its own or he'll get it when I see him in four weeks for the next follow-up. My hearing was immediately clearer from that ear, but it's still not as sharp as the left ear. I'm looking forward to increasing hearing over the next few weeks.

Closed Thread