It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• stapedotomy - how long time before hearing good again?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
    theresen84
    (female)

theresen84 HB User
    Smile stapedotomy - how long time before hearing good again?

first of all, sorry my english writing, but hope you understand

im from norway and did not find so much information at norwegian pages so i found this page

how do you people doing after the surgery now, how are your hearing?

i had stapedotomy 3 weeks and 5 days ago, and my hearing its not so much better. after 10 days the doctor removed the "bandage" in the ear and after that it was a lot of ecco in the ear. now the ecco its getting better and better, but my hearing... i dont know, its feels worse then it was before the surgery but at the same time its feels like its going better for every day. how long time did it took before you could hear normal after the surgery?

i didnt feel any pain, but like 4 days after the surgery i had a lot of pain, so i got antibiotics that made it better.

thanks for any answears, nice to talk to someone who had the same surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
    Fantine
    (female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
    Re: stapedotomy -how long time before hearing good again?

If you're starting to hear echoes in your ear, then your hearing is starting to come back. Your brain has to adjust to hearing noises from that ear again, so please be patient and try not to worry (I know that it's hard). Also, you have have sensory hearing loss that the surgery doesn't affect. Once you have your first post-surgical hearing test, they will tell you. The hearing in my left ear, which had the surgery 2 and 1/2 years ago, is now almost normal. I'm hoping that the same surgeon did as good a job in the right ear, which was operated on on 10/22.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
    parkbetsy
    (female)

parkbetsy HB User
    Re: stapedotomy -how long time before hearing good again?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theresen84 View Post
    first of all, sorry my english writing, but hope you understand

im from norway and did not find so much information at norwegian pages so i found this page

how do you people doing after the surgery now, how are your hearing?

i had stapedotomy 3 weeks and 5 days ago, and my hearing its not so much better. after 10 days the doctor removed the "bandage" in the ear and after that it was a lot of ecco in the ear. now the ecco its getting better and better, but my hearing... i dont know, its feels worse then it was before the surgery but at the same time its feels like its going better for every day. how long time did it took before you could hear normal after the surgery?

i didnt feel any pain, but like 4 days after the surgery i had a lot of pain, so i got antibiotics that made it better.

thanks for any answears, nice to talk to someone who had the same surgery
    I had my surgery almost 6 months ago. My hearing is better now but I still have some weird numbness. It took almost 2 months for the echo sound to go away. If I have a cold, the echo sound comes back. Now, almost 6 months post-op I think I have really good hearing. I go back in next week for my first hearing test.

Good luck. The echo really bothered me. It went away slowly.

Closed Thread