It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Ringing in ears and tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User
    Ringing in ears and tinnitus

I have a few questions for anybody that knows about tinnitus. I had a myringotomy a month ago and my ear has been ringing ever since. In the last few days it seems to have gotten quieter. Is this the way tinnitus is? Does it get quieter after a few weeks because you have gotten use to it? My ear feels kinda numb from the buzzing sound that I have been hearing. Is this normal and is this the way tinnitus affects everyone? If tinnitus goes away do you still have the hearing loss from it and the buzzing sound? Do the nerves die? Is that why it gets softer sounding or is this just me? Please someone tell me something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User
    Re: Ringing in ears and tinnitus

Hey Marie although I haven't had a myringotomy I do have ringing in both my ears (since August). It has definitely been a struggle for me to try and deal with the constant ringing and trying to put it in the background. I use a noise machine at night and try to keep busy during the day. There are good tinnitus days and bad ones. The sounds gets worse when I am stressed or don't sleep good the night before. I also started an antidepressant a few weeks ago which is helping me cope a bit better for the time being. I also have a hearing loss in both ears (slight one).

Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
    Marie 67
    (female)

Marie 67 HB User

How did yours start? Was there a certain event that triggered it or did you wake up with it one day? I don't understand how a myringotomy can cause permanent hearing damage to the cochlea hairs. Isn't that what they say causes tinnitus? Have you heard about the three month thing where it goes from acute to chronic? I don't know where the three months comes from or who uses that as a guide. Has yours gone down in any intensity since it first came on? Do you have what they call spikes? Good days and days where it is louder? Mine was absolutely screaming when it first started. It has gotten quieter. I wasn't sure at first but when I went out the other day I couldn't hear it in the vehicle and two weeks before I could. Do you think that means anything? I'm so afraid that this myringotomy has somehow damaged by ear and my hearing and that I will never hear right again because of it. For all I know the local anesthetic that was used to numb my eardrum could be causing this. It says phenol can get into the round window of the inner ear and cause cochlear damage harming the hairs. I've got the web address but cannot post it here because of their rules. It's just a five minute read about different types of anesthetic used for the eardrum and how damaging they are. If I would have known this I never would have went ahead with the procedure. They are suppose to inform you about these things yet I never was. Do you see your tinnitus improving any in the near future? I haven't tried any of the masking aides or noise machines as I can function without them since it has quieted down. I was using a small 6 inch electric fan at first that made it almost bearable. It has gradually quieted somewhat. It feels like I have lost hearing with it as it has faded. I would like to find out if this is possible and if it is how it happens. Maybe I'll post that as a simple question and see if anybody knows anything about it. I even read about a guy who went over to Thailand to get stem cell replacement to try to cure his tinnitus. It cost like $25,000 for the procedure and took several days. It was an interesting read. Didn't cure his tinnitus, at least not yet as he is having it done again somewhere else with a much larger number of stem cells. Up in the billions I think. I wish I had that kind of money then I probably would be able to find a cure for my tinnitus.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
    LynnA
    (female)

LynnA HB User

Hey Marie mine started in August after either a stressful event that happened or an antibiotic use (same time for each). Dizziness then crackling in ears an popping followed by tinnitus a few days later. Never went away unfortunately. I have heard if you have in longer than 3 months it's considered chronic...I guess that's me then. I. On lexapro right now to deal with anxiety and severe depression so I'm hoping in time I'll be able to not stress about it as much. Trying to get over the depression and get used to the t is very difficult for me. I do get spikes every so often and I notice if my sleep is poor it increases the next day as well. I would love to see it improve in time. It I'm afraid that being on this medicine isn't helping me in terms of t but I need it right now. I might be interested in the noise masking hearing aids in the future. I know they are $$$ but might be worth the investment to save ones sanity. I use a noise app on the he ipad at night so I can sleep, which helps. I don't mask during the day though. How are you doing now?

Closed Thread