It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Bilateral Otosclerosis, ? stapedectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
    Tara721
    (female)

Tara721 HB User
    Unhappy Bilateral Otosclerosis, ? stapedectomy

Hi Everyone-

I noticed a slight hearing loss in only my right ear about a year ago. Had a hearing test which confirmed I did indeed have hearing loss in that ear. My doc said I had otoscelrosis. This past August I began noticing tinnitus in that same ear, and about a month ago noticed the tinnitus in both of my ears now. I went back to my ENT last week for a repeat hearing test, as I have been having a hard time hearing people lately and am becoming tired of always asking peopel to repeat themselves. Hearing test confirmed that I now have hearing loss in both of my ears, right is still worse than the left.

My ENT said that I am a good candidate for a stapedectomy, meeting with a surgeon this week to discuss that possibility. I have been doing a lot of research and reading online, I know there is a 90% success rate but I can't help but read all of the non-successful stories from people on here and other boards about their failed stapedectomy. I think my biggest fear is the stapedectomy causing my tinnitus to become worse, that just might put me over the edge! I'm finally (slowly) coming to grips with my tinnitus. Obviously I know that a stapedectomy is certainly not guarenteed to improve my tinnitus, or my hearing for that matter. My doc suggested hearing aids as an alternative, but I'm not thrilled about the "artificial" sound. What to do?! Looking for some advice from otosclerosis people who have had stapedectomies and previously had or now have tinnitus.

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Tara721:
    tinchito (03-15-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
    tinchito
    (male)

tinchito HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Bilateral Otosclerosis, ? stapedectomy

Hi Tara. My name is Martin and I live in Argentina. I had bilateral otoesclerosis and tinnitus ,like you. Two years ago my surgeon told me that IŽll be a good candidate so, after thinking many weeks , and read this board a lot ( ;-)), I decided to do it. It was the BEST desition I took in years !! All was OK, my post op was wonderful, and i do not wear any hearing aid again , I hear very much natural and the operation did not affect my tinnitus. IŽll operate my right ear in two months so IŽm very excited !
    My advice : forget your fears , operate, and prepare to hear wonderfully again !! Good luck !!!

Last edited by tinchito; 03-14-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
    botbot
    (female)

botbot HB User
    Re: Bilateral Otosclerosis, ? stapedectomy

Hi Tara721, I'm in a similar situation to you. I first noticed hearing loss about 3-4 years ago, but at the time I had no health insurance and never got it tested. I wasn't really worried because I was 100% convinced it was noise-induced since I have been a music fiend since the age of 8 - loud headphones, concerts, DJing, you name it. I started taking better care of my ears then, and thought things couldn't possibly get worse. Well, I finally got health insurance and received the real diagnosis a few days ago: mild to moderate conductive hearing loss in both ears caused by otosclerosis. It turns out it runs in my family and has nothing to do with noise exposure.

I'm a 32-year-old woman and terrified at the concept of this getting worse. Music is one of the most important parts of my life, and I can't even fathom losing it. It seems like nobody believes me when I say I have hearing loss because I'm so young, and people sometimes get frustrated when I ask them to repeat themselves. My day-to-day life is affected and I feel like at SOME point I'm going to need the stapedectomy (recommended by my ENT), so maybe it's better to just do it now while I'm otherwise healthy. So now I have to choose between the lesser of two fears: dealing with progressive hearing loss that is already pretty bad and has been for a few years, or getting surgery for the first time on both ears, with all the inherent risks that come with it.

How have others made this decision? Has anybody else had this diagnosis at relatively the same age and if so, how quickly did it progress? I'm frightened and having a hard time dealing with the news. I'm glad there's a community out there for some support. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
    Bazyan
    (female)

Bazyan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by botbot View Post
    Hi Tara721, I'm in a similar situation to you. I first noticed hearing loss about 3-4 years ago, but at the time I had no health insurance and never got it tested. I wasn't really worried because I was 100% convinced it was noise-induced since I have been a music fiend since the age of 8 - loud headphones, concerts, DJing, you name it. I started taking better care of my ears then, and thought things couldn't possibly get worse. Well, I finally got health insurance and received the real diagnosis a few days ago: mild to moderate conductive hearing loss in both ears caused by otosclerosis. It turns out it runs in my family and has nothing to do with noise exposure.

I'm a 32-year-old woman and terrified at the concept of this getting worse. Music is one of the most important parts of my life, and I can't even fathom losing it. It seems like nobody believes me when I say I have hearing loss because I'm so young, and people sometimes get frustrated when I ask them to repeat themselves. My day-to-day life is affected and I feel like at SOME point I'm going to need the stapedectomy (recommended by my ENT), so maybe it's better to just do it now while I'm otherwise healthy. So now I have to choose between the lesser of two fears: dealing with progressive hearing loss that is already pretty bad and has been for a few years, or getting surgery for the first time on both ears, with all the inherent risks that come with it.

How have others made this decision? Has anybody else had this diagnosis at relatively the same age and if so, how quickly did it progress? I'm frightened and having a hard time dealing with the news. I'm glad there's a community out there for some support. Thanks for reading.
    Hello

I had a stapedectomy 6 weeks ago and a revision 3 weeks ago and regret the decision each day. I did not have tinnitus prior to the surgery but do now to the extent that I cannot hear my own thoughts. Also, my hearing has not improved. I was a very healthy and active 42 year old with young children and a demanding job. I especially do not recommend this procedure unless you are prepared to drop everything, have undivided help for 6 weeks and a job that you cannot pause. I am sorry for sounding so severe but I wished someone had said this to me prior so that I could consider the consequences. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
    botbot
    (female)

botbot HB User

Thank you Bazyan, I just saw your reply. I very much appreciate your input. I ended up scheduling the surgery on my first ear, to be performed in ~7 weeks from now. Thankfully I'll have help around the house and be able to work from home as needed while I recover. I hope you're feeling better than when you last posted! Wish you the best as well.

Closed Thread