It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Trying to survive a stapedectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
    Bazyan
    (female)

Bazyan HB User
    Trying to survive a stapedectomy

Hello,
    On March 25th I had my first stapedectomy and my life has been in turmoil ever since. On April 15th I had a revision and had hoped to improve the poor results that my first procedure generated to no avail. Needless to say, I have not had improved hearing in comparison to prior the surgeries. My surgeon came recommended by my 2nd ENT. His Success rates were extremely high and he is highly experienced. Six weeks later, my ear still cannot not process words and I have tinnitus beyond any form of torture imaginable. I was considered to be a good candidate for the surgery. I am in my forties and in good health. I now can barely speak with my kids, husband or employer. I cannot get any relief from the buzzing and drilling in my head. I cannot sleep, eat, or speak coherently. My nerves or at their ends and my hands shake. I have completed 3 rounds of steroids and am now using debrox drops which may be making it worse. If you are considering this surgery, I strongly suggest you try a hearing aide first. Also, please take into account your life and support resources before. If you have young, active children, av demanding job, and no one to clean, cook, bend, shop, drive, and care for you do not have this procedure. Please consider if you enjoy running , talking, dining out and social gatherings you should not have this surgery. I have a loving husband and 2 young children who are watching me suffer for what I thought would improve our lives. Please don't let this happen to you and your families.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
    bubba1965
    (male)

bubba1965 HB User
    Re: Trying to survive a stapedectomy

My wife is watching our life change also. Without her i would be lost!! Going from healthy outgoing and funloving to a person who cant handle noise, commotion, shopping, etc.. its so hard. I have had 2 surgeries one to put it in and the other to take it out and plug the hole. Didnt help. H
    Bone was shaved to thin and second doctor found fragments floating in my head. Now i am on SS finally. Helps but i feel useless most days.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
    Bazyan
    (female)

Bazyan HB User

I am so sorry. I can't seem to find a way to accept this and move past it. My doctor is suggesting I see a psychiatrist and take some anti anxiety medication. I still can't believe I willingly walked into this. How I wished I walked off the operating table the minute I had any doubt. I wish there was a way to inform others so that this does not happen to their loved ones. Thanks for sharing, helps me feel less alone.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
    creeker14
    (male)

creeker14 HB User

You sure have my sympathy. I had stapedotomy about 3 weeks ago and now every sound in that ear is so loud I can't stand it. I have to wear a one sided hearing protector when driving just because of the road noise. Dr said don't put anything in that ear but I am sure tempted sometimes. They say it will get better after a few months, sure hope so. I also have fluid in that ear which may be why I can't understand conversation with that ear alone. My best to you, hope you feel better in the near future.

Closed Thread