It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Odd sensations/sounds after stapefectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
    DaniESY
    (female)

DaniESY HB User
    Question Odd sensations/sounds after stapefectomy

[Note: I just noticed that stapedectomy is misspelled in the title. Can a moderator fix that?]

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask what people experienced, auditory-wise, after their stapedectomies. I had my surgery done in April -- about 8 weeks ago -- and I am experiencing a few odd symptoms:

1) When I am in the car with the windows open -- or any place with fluctuations of pressure, really -- the motion and sound of the wind moving around the interior of the vehicle causes my eardrum to click and thump. I can actually feel it and it's incredibly distracting. Anyone else experience this?

2) I occasionally experience a whooshing sound/sensation in my operated ear, which feels rather like fluid except there's no trickling or sloshing as I would expect. I typically experience this when I am laying down for a while and then move my head, but I also get a similar feeling of fullness or pressure, and a briefer whooshing, if I burp or yawn.

3) Some sounds and voices, usually louder ones but not always, crackle. It's like listening to something via a broken speaker.

Can anyone tell me if these are all normal experiences after this type of surgery? I already contacted my surgeon's office, and they assure me that these symptoms are not unusual, but I wanted to hear from other people who've been through the surgery themselves.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by DaniESY; 06-09-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
    DaniESY
    (female)

DaniESY HB User
    Re: Odd sensations/sounds after stapefectomy

Just a quick follow-up:

As far as my first issue goes, I've noticed an improvement in the past week. It seems like my ear has "opened up" a little and the pressure is starting to equalize somewhat, so the thumping and popping I was experiencing has lessened a tad. Hopefully this improvement will continue...

Unfortunately, I am stilling having issues with distortion (crackling sounds/voices), and the whooshing/increased pressure when I lay down.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ear crackling, ear drum, sounds, stapedectomy