It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Prolonged vertigo after stapedectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
    Rolngstn
    (female)

Rolngstn HB User
    Prolonged vertigo after stapedectomy

I had my stapedectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago and am still experiencing horrible vertigo. For my follow up visit, my husband needed to take me in a wheelchair because I couldn't walk! After a few days of feeling a little better, my symptoms are as bad as they ever were. The doctor gave me a new prescription and assured me that I would feel better. I do not.
    Before this operation I walked 3 miles every morning. Now I am lucky to walk to the bathroom. I am waiting for a call back from my dr. Any ideas as to what I should or should not consider reasonable advice?
    I am at my wits end!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
    Rolngstn
    (female)

Rolngstn HB User
    Re: Prolonged vertigo after stapedectomy

I am now on meclizine instead of Valium. Dr said this is unusual but will take time. My hearing is much better although very loud. No pain in ear. No improvement with new med.
    I have spent about 90% of my time on bed reading, watching tv, playing on laptop. One reason that I am getting so freaked out is that my daughter is due with her first baby in a few weeks. Her husband travels and I had planned to spend time with her while he was gone ( she lives 300 miles away)
    Sorry if I have gotten a little off subject.
    My biggest problem with the vertigo is when I am walking. I need to hold on to something and cannot look at things in the distance.
    I took a shower ( ear plugged) and fixed my hair yesterday so that maybe by looking like a human, I would feel like one. Didn't work although my husband appreciated it, I'm sure lol
    Luckily my husband and I retired early because I cannot imagine worrying about losing my job or having to be home alone.
    I need to report in with my dr on Monday and will let you know how it all goes (hopefully well).
    Any ideas would be appreciated

Old 02-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
    Reaganp
    (female)

Reaganp HB User

Hello I know your post was a couple years ago but I am hoping you get this message because my husband is going through exactly what you described. His stapedectomy was 2 1/2 weeks ago and the day after surgery I had to call an ambulance because he was violently ill. Could not walk or stop vomiting. They had to send him home with a walker after a few days and we are still waiting for the vertigo to end. He has now been told after blood work that the surgery awoke a dormant virus so he is on an anti viral with no end in sight. You were very lucky to be retired when this occurred because we are not as fortunate. We own our own business and rely on my husband to estimate new jobs therefore our business is suffering. If you could let us know how things ended up for you and how long the vertigo lasted. Thank you

Old 03-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
    Dannyjpuk
    (male)

Dannyjpuk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaganp View Post
    Hello I know your post was a couple years ago but I am hoping you get this message because my husband is going through exactly what you described. His stapedectomy was 2 1/2 weeks ago and the day after surgery I had to call an ambulance because he was violently ill. Could not walk or stop vomiting. They had to send him home with a walker after a few days and we are still waiting for the vertigo to end. He has now been told after blood work that the surgery awoke a dormant virus so he is on an anti viral with no end in sight. You were very lucky to be retired when this occurred because we are not as fortunate. We own our own business and rely on my husband to estimate new jobs therefore our business is suffering. If you could let us know how things ended up for you and how long the vertigo lasted. Thank you
    Hello I was just reading your thread it sounds similar to what happened to me I had a stapedectomy 1 month ago after surgery I was wiped out I couldn't walk or move with out being sick 2 weeks after the op my nerves down the left side started to go numb I went back to the hospital and I was told that it was a viral infection which was atacking my nerves this was just over a week ago now and has improved my ear is still buzzing and dull I'm hoping this will improve hiw is things with you

Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
    Reaganp
    (female)

Reaganp HB User

Hello,

We are now on week 6 and we have learned that the virus was shingles in his inner ear. He still cannot hear out of that ear and now has learned he probably never will. He is going to physical therapy for balance and dizziness which does seem to help. If you are still dizzy and off balance I would suggest balance therapy.

Thank you for your response

Reply Reply