It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• stapedectomy or Baha bone anchored implant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
    sunshineTerri
    (female)

sunshineTerri HB User
    stapedectomy or Baha bone anchored implant?

Hi I am new to forum. I am 56 years old and I have 60% hearing loss in my left ear due to otoscleriosis and in my right ear I almost have perfect hearing. I also have extreme tinnitus in my left ear with the hearing loss.I have had a lot of balance issues in the past few months but now everything has settled down and I do not have dizziness any more. My ENT suggested a bone anchored hearing aid because there is less risk having this type of surgery over a stepadectomy.
    I thought that my hearing loss was dues to loud music in my teens and not protecting my ears. I never would have guessed that it was caused by otosclerisis and the load tinnitus started about 7 months ago right about the same time as the dizziness. There is a very good chance that I could have my hearing back if I have the step. surgery which I am excited about. I don't know if 56years old is just to old for this type of risky surgery. I am also concerned about recovery and dizziness becoming permanent

I would like to hear from someone that had a stepadectomy or a bone anchored hearing aid on there experience with these procedures.

Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
    Janster
    (female)

Janster HB User
    Re: stepadectomy or Baha bone anchored implant?

Hi Terri,

OMG the timing of this is ....just crazy.

Have you thought about getting a regular hearing aide?? Will that help?? Reason I say that is..... I had a stapedectomy 10 years ago (left ear). The surgery didn't come out the way it should have and I ended up wearing a hearing aide for the last 9 years. I was one of those unlucky ones that it wasn't so successful. But...the hearing aide I've been wearing has been great.

Just this past August, I lost all hearing in my left ear. Regular hearing aide doesn't do anything for me now. I just got back from John Hopkins (2nd opinion). They can't determine anything and I have a CAT scan in April. One of my options, is to get a BAHA hearing aide. I know nothing about these things other than what they threw at me today. Sounds kinda scary and permanent. I want to make sure it works for me before I commit.

For you ...knowing what I know..... Before going with a BAHA, I would look into regular hearing aides first and see if they'd help you. Stapedectomy's aren't that bad....just sometimes they aren't as successful. My mom had a stapedectomy when she was in her 40's and its been fine ever since (she's in her mid 70's)

Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
    sunshineTerri
    (female)

sunshineTerri HB User
    Re: stepadectomy or Baha bone anchored implant?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    Hi Terri,

OMG the timing of this is ....just crazy.

Have you thought about getting a regular hearing aide?? Will that help?? Reason I say that is..... I had a stapedectomy 10 years ago (left ear). The surgery didn't come out the way it should have and I ended up wearing a hearing aide for the last 9 years. I was one of those unlucky ones that it wasn't so successful. But...the hearing aide I've been wearing has been great.

Just this past August, I lost all hearing in my left ear. Regular hearing aide doesn't do anything for me now. I just got back from John Hopkins (2nd opinion). They can't determine anything and I have a CAT scan in April. One of my options, is to get a BAHA hearing aide. I know nothing about these things other than what they threw at me today. Sounds kinda scary and permanent. I want to make sure it works for me before I commit.

For you ...knowing what I know..... Before going with a BAHA, I would look into regular hearing aides first and see if they'd help you. Stapedectomy's aren't that bad....just sometimes they aren't as successful. My mom had a stapedectomy when she was in her 40's and its been fine ever since (she's in her mid 70's)
    Hi, I am sorry that your stapedectomy didn't work out for you. I know there is a lot of risks associated with this type of surgery but the success rate is still fairly good. As for a Bacha - bone anchored hearing aid, I m very undecided if I want something screwed onto my scalp. I received some information from the ent on this type of surgery. You might also want to ask your ent for a pamphlet as well and try the Baha out to see how clear you actually hear. I did try it and the sound did seem ok. I was told that you must have someone help you clean the area after the implant. It all just makes me uncomfortable right now so I am still trying to find the right surgeon for a stapedectomy surgery. Also you have to be careful not to get it wet so no walking in the rain. Lol. You just snap it off before swimming. You might want to try headphones (bone anchored headphones) that you can purchase yourself. They work nicely. So if you hear quite well with them, I would imagine the Baha would work very well for you.

Closed Thread