It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Heart pounds for hours when I combine alcohol with food

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
raishi
(female)

raishi HB User
Question Heart pounds for hours when I combine alcohol with food

Hello!

I have been finding that for the last couple of years, whenever I eat food and drink alcohol at the same time, it seems to cause my heart pound and my heart rate to increase for hours on end (sometimes through the entire night and into the morning). Sometimes it is a subtle increase, but it is often paired with a feeling of tenseness and anxiety (almost as though the combination is causing a release of adrenaline or something), that will keep me up for hours until it subsides.

Early on, it only happened when I ate larger meals and drank more than one alcoholic drink (even just two). Now, however, I find it happens when I combine any amount of alcohol with almost any amount of food (though still, more specifically a larger meal, OR any sized meal or snack that triggers a significant insulin response i.e. sugar/carbohydrates/dairy/etc...). Even if the food or alcohol was consumed within around a two hour window before or after.

Last night, for example, I had one and a half drinks (straight gin, no mixers), between around 9:30-11:30pm, then came home and ate a large apple and a handful of rice crackers, which triggered it quite badly and it lasted into the early morning.

Strangely enough, it does not happen when I drink any amount of alcohol on an empty stomach.

I am an otherwise healthy, athletic 26-year-old woman. I dealt with anorexia for four years, but this issue only presented itself after I recovered for the most part around two years ago. I do still struggle with hormonal imbalance and amenorrhea as my body has seemingly continued to heal the damage I did to it, so I'm not sure if that could be at play.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have read about the "holiday heart syndrome," but this sounds like something potentially different... My doctor was stumped, and suggested I try aspirin, but that doesn't seem to affect it.

Any feedback or response would be truly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

R

Last edited by raishi; 07-15-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
RainbowBridge
(female)

RainbowBridge HB UserRainbowBridge HB User
Re: Heart pounds for hours when I combine alcohol with food

As someone who has suffered from this for years, I have to tell you-stay away from booze. It's one of the biggest triggers for heart issues. There might come a time when you won't be able to slow your heart down and will need to go to the hospital.
In a society where booze is the main "get together", it can be very hard to give it up. I have learned slowly..

Living a pure life, is stress-free anyway. I no longer miss the mornings waking up feeling like crap and worrying about my heart..yes, I too suffered from "holiday heart" one day..very very scary

Last edited by RainbowBridge; 07-17-2015 at 01:51 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to RainbowBridge:
rosier (07-19-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
strongheart1968
(male)

strongheart1968 HB User
Re: Heart pounds for hours when I combine alcohol with food

Quote:
Originally Posted by raishi View Post
Hello!

I have been finding that for the last couple of years, whenever I eat food and drink alcohol at the same time, it seems to cause my heart pound and my heart rate to increase for hours on end (sometimes through the entire night and into the morning). Sometimes it is a subtle increase, but it is often paired with a feeling of tenseness and anxiety (almost as though the combination is causing a release of adrenaline or something), that will keep me up for hours until it subsides.

Early on, it only happened when I ate larger meals and drank more than one alcoholic drink (even just two). Now, however, I find it happens when I combine any amount of alcohol with almost any amount of food (though still, more specifically a larger meal, OR any sized meal or snack that triggers a significant insulin response i.e. sugar/carbohydrates/dairy/etc...). Even if the food or alcohol was consumed within around a two hour window before or after.

Last night, for example, I had one and a half drinks (straight gin, no mixers), between around 9:30-11:30pm, then came home and ate a large apple and a handful of rice crackers, which triggered it quite badly and it lasted into the early morning.

Strangely enough, it does not happen when I drink any amount of alcohol on an empty stomach.

I am an otherwise healthy, athletic 26-year-old woman. I dealt with anorexia for four years, but this issue only presented itself after I recovered for the most part around two years ago. I do still struggle with hormonal imbalance and amenorrhea as my body has seemingly continued to heal the damage I did to it, so I'm not sure if that could be at play.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I have read about the "holiday heart syndrome," but this sounds like something potentially different... My doctor was stumped, and suggested I try aspirin, but that doesn't seem to affect it.

Any feedback or response would be truly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

R
I am athletic too, in top shape, and my heart hammers sometimes. It is also visible on my chest.
Is your heartbeat visible?
Also after meals, I get this, especially if I ate a lot of protein! My heart hammers in my chest and at night it keeps me awake, as I can hear int slamming around with it's beats. it even makes my body bounce on the bed.
Never hadf any cardiac problems either. jason

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, anxiety, food, heart, insomnia