It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Working Out and Heart Palpitations - Is this Normal?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
hipchic12
(female)

hipchic12 HB User
Working Out and Heart Palpitations - Is this Normal?

Hi all,
I'm a 35yo active female. Last night I recently went to the gym and worked out and did cardio and some weight lifting... I don't lift heavy weights by any means, but just did my normal routine. A little of my medical history first: I have had palpitations in the past and have got checked out for them and that was more than a few years ago. I also have been dealing with dizziness for the past 6 years and thought my heart was a contributing factor. I have done so many tests under the sun from an MRI of my head to X-Rays of my neck to abdomen scans and so many blood tests. Everything comes back normal, which is obviously great news! The only thing that came back on the "lower" end was my iron. I have been taking iron on/off for a few years now to increase my levels. The last time I got my levels checked in Oct 2015 everything was fine. Back to last night. After running on the treadmill, I was cooling down like I normally do and started to get palpitations. Little quick ones. I wasn't really concerned because I have dealt with them before. Recently, I was just seen by a cardiologist in January and did an EKG (which came back normal). She diagnosed me with sinus arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) and I have seen other cardiologists who have also said that I have extra heart beats... not sure if thats the same? but she said not to worry that its more common than you know. So last night after my workout my palpitations just seemed to get longer and stronger. It almost seemed like my heart does a hiccup, and beats normal and then almost takes a gulp or a breath and then starts pounding again. Well this was on/off for about 2 hours. Even when I was at home it was still doing it whether I was sitting or standing. Some times during the 2 hours I would breathe in and out and I would get the palpitations. It almost seemed like they were every 10 seconds throughout the 2 hours. When I got them, I also got a fluttering in my throat. I started to also put my finger on my neck and take my pulse (seems like I start becoming a hypochondriac) when something like this happens and then I started freaking out more which just made it worse. I was just wondering for those of you who are active, do you get heart palpitations and how long do they usually last? This morning since I've been thinking about what happened last night, I have had a couple but they aren't dragging on like they did last night.

Last edited by hipchic12; 03-02-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
hipchic12
(female)

hipchic12 HB User
Re: Working Out and Heart Palpitations - Is this Normal?

Anyone?

Old 03-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
jogirl423
(female)

jogirl423 HB User

HI,

I commented on your earlier post.

Have you had a tilt table test? I have POTS / IST (at least that's what they think) and I am having treadmill issues too (higher than expected hr) and I get the palps too.

What is your resting rate? Mine is usually 58 to 60 and all of my issues started about a year and a half ago due to adenomyosis and hormones and other stuff...meh...

How are you feeling?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
hipchic12
(female)

hipchic12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirl423 View Post
HI,

I commented on your earlier post.

Have you had a tilt table test? I have POTS / IST (at least that's what they think) and I am having treadmill issues too (higher than expected hr) and I get the palps too.

What is your resting rate? Mine is usually 58 to 60 and all of my issues started about a year and a half ago due to adenomyosis and hormones and other stuff...meh...

How are you feeling?
No I haven't had the tilt table test before. My resting rate can vary, but its usually around 45-55, depending on what I'm doing.

I've been taking a magnesium/potassium supplement that I researched on my own 3x a day. I haven't been getting the palpitations a lot, but still get them. I just turned in my holter monitor and I'm waiting on the test results to come back which won't be for another 2 weeks

Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
jogirl423
(female)

jogirl423 HB User

Hi,

I hope it goes well! I eat banana in the morning, pumpkin seeds throughout the day and then banana at night and walnuts during the day.

I have the new PE cardio doc appt on the 31st of this month and I am nervous and excited and all that stuff.

I just want SOMEONE to tell me what I have and why things happen the way they do. UGH...

Keep me posted on what happens...

Wishing you a great report,

Jo :-)

Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
hipchic12
(female)

hipchic12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirl423 View Post
Hi,

I hope it goes well! I eat banana in the morning, pumpkin seeds throughout the day and then banana at night and walnuts during the day.

I have the new PE cardio doc appt on the 31st of this month and I am nervous and excited and all that stuff.

I just want SOMEONE to tell me what I have and why things happen the way they do. UGH...

Keep me posted on what happens...

Wishing you a great report,

Jo :-)
Hi,
Just a quick update. Got my test results back and I have SVT Supraventricular Ectopic beats and Ventricular Ectopic beat and Sinus Arrythmia. I believe they are all related to the same thing which means I have palpitations, LOL My doctor thinks that my heart rate is normal for someone of my age and that I have isolated heart beats that are benign. I have tried to cut down on my caffeine intake (even though I only have whats equivalent to a cup of coffee a day) and I do notice that when I have alcohol my palpitations increase, so I'm trying to cut alcohol eventually out of my diet. I barely even have any which sucks, but I may casually have a glass here and there. If I do, I just have to watch my intake and know what my "triggers" are... I'm also taking a vitamin supplement still that helps. How have you been feeling?

Last edited by hipchic12; 05-19-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
rsh25712
(male)

rsh25712 HB User

Mine usually go away during exercise unless I push it too hard, I mainly get mine when I try to sit down and relax. Although my skipped beats are more than likely caused by stress than a true electrical misfiring. Am curious to know what supplements you are taking? But I do know exercise releases stress hormones which can trigger such episodes in some people. Sounds like you are simply suffering from pvcs or pacs both of which are benign although they can be extremely uncomfortable and scary

Old 12-31-2017, 05:11 AM   #8
20yrsofthis
(female)

20yrsofthis HB User

I developed a kind of palpitation called Premature Ventrical Contractions (PVCs) when I was at a fitness highpoint. I was about 50 years old and a lifelong athlete who always included running as cross-training and at the time was running about 20 miles a week. The PVCs continued to occur daily for about 14 years, completely unresponsive to any change in anything. EXCEPT, exercise. They never occurred during exercise so when they really bothered me, I would run more. But they would return with a vengeance at rest.

Oddly enough, they stopped a little over a year ago. Again for no good reason. They came out of nowhere, continued unrelenting for 14 years and they stopped for no discernible reason. I am a person of consistent habits and I have changed absolutely nothing since the day they began except that gradually over the years, I have backed my running regimen down to vigorous walking.

PVCs are not a racing heart, although just everyone (including non-cardiac medical professionals) wants to blame coffee. In fact, because a PVC is a stalled heartbeat you might guess that a stimulant like coffee would fix it. It doesn't. Other people (including non-cardiac medical professionals) like to postulate that it only seems like they stop with exercise and increase at rest. They prefer to think the patient only notices them when they are resting. Not true. I would notice a stalled heartbeat followed by a punch in the chest even while running. Even while running and on fire.

I tell you this to help you sort through the maddening advice I got from many places, although all the cardiologists I saw agreed that they don't know what causes PVCs and no one knows how to stop them but they are almost always just annoying, even though they are dramatic to experience. And then one day they stop. Even if your arrhythmia is a different one, don't subject yourself to a lot of intervention that doesn't seem to help. Trust your own observations.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
Zubereve
(female)

Zubereve HB User

I get the premature beats a couple of hours after, or even the next morning after strenuous exercise (not during). And then my body feels sensitized to them for a couple of days after, like my heart is irritated. It scares the heck out of me so I start avoiding exercise. I hiked up a difficult trail in Bryce canyon this week. I've had PVCs off and on since. Sometimes i get quite a few in a row, and then calm, then another batch for 5-10 minutes. I really hate this, scares me so much. And it's really impacting my ability to enjoy hiking and biking... background, I have been seeing a cardiologist for years, had these since my 20s, have had lots of testing, take diltizem, but I still get them. It's so good to hear other people with the same issues talk about it!

Old 01-12-2018, 04:49 AM   #10
20yrsofthis
(female)

20yrsofthis HB User

That sounds exactly like what mine do: PVCs go away during exercise and come slamming back when I rest. When it first started, I couldn't believe that amount of violence in my chest could be survivable, even though docs told me it's pretty benign. And then to further erode my confidence, only the best cardio people seem to be aware that this is NOT a racing heartbeat. More like a stalled one.

But I have been dealing with these almost daily for fifteen years and I'm not dead yet, so I guess they were right. Over the course of that time, I became pretty certain that they are made worse by emotional stress, although the PVCs do not occur during the moments of stress; but in the night or quiet periods on a stressful day. If I get really tired of them, I can always go for a run and they will stop for an hour or so.
Also, I think no one really understands why they happen, which adds to the confusion. But I'm not inclined to add a second problem, by trying an invasive solution with no track record of success.

Reply Reply