It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Asd

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
yudi0294
(male)

yudi0294 HB User
Asd

Hi. I am Yudi from India 29 year old male. I was diagnosed while TEE with 34mm hole in my heart. I am advised for an open heart surgery. I am very worried about it, as in my entire life I have never had an operation. I am worried about success of surgery, pain, scar on my chest, and very much about Urinary catheters also about what will be the duration of recovery. will I be able to do exercise after the surgery. Someone sharing their experience will be much help to me. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Vyking
Inactive
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User
Re: Asd

As you say Open Heart Surgery, I assume they are going to cut through your sternum.

I had Heart Surgery in 2009, believe it or not, Heart Surgery is not as painful as you would expect.
The reason is that they are cutting through bone more than anything else - bone has no nerves so it is not really painful.

This type of surgery has a high success rate and you are young which is even better.
The scar on my chest is hardly noticeable, it has faded to a thin white line.
The urinary catheter does not hurt, you won't even know it's in there.
Recovery is different for everyone some take longer than others to recover but I wouldn't expect to be doing much for at least 3 months, possibly longer.
The main reason is that you need to give your sternum a chance to heal.
You wont be able to lift anything heavy or use your arms to push/pull until your sternum heals - they will give you pamphlets which tell you what you can and can't do and when you can do it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vyking For This Useful Post:
yudi0294 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
yudi0294
(male)

yudi0294 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyking View Post
As you say Open Heart Surgery, I assume they are going to cut through your sternum.

I had Heart Surgery in 2009, believe it or not, Heart Surgery is not as painful as you would expect.
The reason is that they are cutting through bone more than anything else - bone has no nerves so it is not really painful.

This type of surgery has a high success rate and you are young which is even better.
The scar on my chest is hardly noticeable, it has faded to a thin white line.
The urinary catheter does not hurt, you won't even know it's in there.
Recovery is different for everyone some take longer than others to recover but I wouldn't expect to be doing much for at least 3 months, possibly longer.
The main reason is that you need to give your sternum a chance to heal.
You wont be able to lift anything heavy or use your arms to push/pull until your sternum heals - they will give you pamphlets which tell you what you can and can't do and when you can do it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Good Luck.
I was very worried about all this , but hearing from you was a great pleasure. have some more questions like when will i be able to walk (even for 5 minutes) , I have a 9 month labrador pup should i maintain distance with him after surgery, and what should be precautions at home for fast recovery. Thanks..

Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Vyking
Inactive
(male)

Vyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB UserVyking HB User

After heart surgery they like to get you up walking as soon as possible.
They will have you sitting in a chair at first.
You'll be taking short walks (with help) within 24 hours - each walk will be a little longer than the last.
You'll be encouraged to walk a few times every day - walking is very important during recovery.

you should only be in hospital for about 5 to 7 days - you'll need to walk up a flight of stairs before they'll let you go home.

If your dog doesn't pull on the lead you should be fine - you don't want your sternum to break open.

The doctors and hospital staff will give you information about your recovery at home before you are discharged.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
yudi0294
(male)

yudi0294 HB User

what a relief to hear about walking. I have deficient posterior and retroaortic rim so one of the surgeon said that device closure is not possible. But I am waiting for a senior doctor to give his recommendation. Hoping that the doctor suggest device closure. thanks for being in touch with me more then half of my worries ended after your comments. on 15th March I will meet the senior Doc. then again I will tell you the progress, if it's ok with you. Thanks

Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Vyking
Inactive
(male)

You're welcome.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
asd, open heart surgery in india