It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Husband's bad health and family history of heart attack

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
    solomom
    (female)

solomom HB User
    Husband's bad health and family history of heart attack

This is my first post. My husband is always saying he wants to 'get healthy' but he never sticks to any sort of healthy habit. He is really bad at taking care of himself health wise and he is the most stubborn individual I have ever met. I worry constantly now because his father had a heart attack at the age of 47 and his older brother (by 2 years) had one at 37. They had to change their lifestyles since then, but are still unhealthy IMO. My husband has been a cigarette smoker for 19 yrs and eats the most unhealthy foods available.......fast food, frozen foods, sweets morning noon and night, beer - at least a 6 pack every day, and smokes pot every day from morning til night. His BMI says he is 'morbidly obese' and he does not exercise because he says he has a physical job and does not need to. Lately he has been having 'heartburn' and he's short of breath just tying his shoes. He had a hernia surgery in November and his blood work came back fine, so he thinks that's basically a clean bill of health. He may have heartburn, who knows, but I worry so much about our future and the future of our seven yo son. I have told him SO many times what his nonchalance about his health is doing to us, and he seems to care but wont change. I have no idea what the future holds for us. It's scary and frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Husband's bad health and family history of heart attack

I hear you, that IS frustrating. I wish there was a way we can force the ones we love to take care of themselves, but that has to be an internal thing. If I were you, I would just be sure that every meal you eat together as a family is healthy. What your husband does
    "on his own time" will be his decision, but why add to it, you know?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I agree that men can be tough to talk to about their health. If his father and brother didnt scare him, it doesnt sound like you harping on him will make much of a difference.
    My husband is exactly the same with the same family issues, only you can add Diabetes to his list of potentials..both his parents are insulin dependent.

I go to the gym regularly, and now and then I take my husband with me as a guest. I try to get him involved in anything and everything that will get him moving. I have a disease and worry about him not being around to take care of me! I have also taken out life insuracne policies on him which makes him really angry. I keep telling him that I wouldnt need to insure him if I thought he was healthy.

As the other posted said, do what you can. Cook healthy meals. Do not buy sweets or junk. If he wants to eat that stuff, he will have to go out and get it. It shouldnt be in the kitchen where he can help himself. I actually keep my stash of chocolate in my room, hidden where he doesnt know its there! make it hard for him to eat badly and eventually he will get tired of running to the local convenience store for junk. Keep your meals heart healthy- and try to make slow changes which wont cause him to complain. (less butter, less red meat). Try to get him out and walking with you as the weather gets nicer.

Sorry you are going through this, but you are not alone!

MSNik

Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

What do you think about showing him an internet video of a paralyzed stroke victim? You could ask him if he really wants to take a chance of that happening to him? It happened to my brother and he is a prisoner of his own body, and so is his family!

I'm 71 with heart failure, permanent AFib and Diabetes. I diet, and for about two hours per day I lift weights, do deep knee bends, work out on a stepper, power walk; and take Coumadin (Warfarin) religiously in the hopes that I don't wind up the same way! So far, so good!

If he responds that "It can't happen to him" then he is choosing to play Russian Roulette with his health.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-29-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
    goodbyebadstuff
    (female)

goodbyebadstuff HB User

Would it be possible to share your concerns with his doctor? Perhaps his doctor would encourage your husband to come in and get some tests done....check cholesterol, do a treadmill test etc. Sometimes it takes a scare from a doctor to get people to change.

Closed Thread

Tags
    health and wellness, heart, husband