It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

questions about CHF flare ups

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
kattatudez0214
(female)

kattatudez0214 HB User
questions about CHF flare ups

Hi everyone, hope this post finds everyone doing well. I have a few questions I need to ask. This past dec I was diagnosed with chf just a few months before my 51st birthday. I'm on entresto,meds for hp,lasix, meds for diabetes type 2, and cholesterol. my EF went from 30 percent to 55 percent in less then two months. I am on low sodium and low carb diet. I see my cardio every six months now. So my question is this, can I expect flare ups of chf? if so, approximately how often? I realize the importance of weighing myself everyday to look for any quick weight gain that is fluid build up. But with my horrible health anxiety (since I was a kid I've had cardio health anxiety) and now its just worse. my mind is fixated on a chf flare up happening at any time. I realize everyone is different, but just curious if anyone has had a flare up or family member who had a flare up and what they can tell me about it. Thank you advance for reading my post and I hope everyone has a great evening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
rosier
Veteran
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Thumbs up Re: questions about CHF flare ups

I hate to tell you, that you need to discuss with your Cardio Doctor. But from my own experience, you do not have flair ups with CHF. Your heart can worsen to a point of having a heart transplant. I was fortunate that mine was from heart murmur and aortic valve replacement, so it is noted in the medical record of having it once. Most of the time, it cannot correct itself like mine did. Please talk to your cardio and get proactive about knowing all about CHF and what you can do to prolong things till it gets worse. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Haw'nCarl
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User
Re: questions about CHF flare ups

Let's see if I remember how to do this, please bear with me as it's been years since I have posted. So, here it goes. Katt, I hope this finds you on a good day, and I hope and pray only the best of life for you, and now back to the regularly scheduled program. I believe that your anxiety may actually help you stay on the straight and narrow path of good nutrition and careful fluid intake as that is probably how you will avoid flare ups. Now if your like me, who by the way also has an anxiety issue but takes buspirone and Lexepro to deal with it, but does not stay on the straight and narrow, which upsets my wife to no end, but I digress. Anyway, as I said if you are like me and eat what tastes good, and drinks fluid when I am thirsty (no, not alcohol!), you will have flair ups. I have had probably three flair ups in the past four or five months. My personal experience is a general feeling of being dog tired when having done nothing, and naturally the old swollen fluid filled ankles gives it away too, in addition to being out of breath. Pretty normal and common symptoms of a flair up. Recently my doctor increased my bumetanide script from 1mg a day to 2. That seems to have helped tremendously with the flair ups, and getting rid of the excess fluid, however, the carpeting from my Lazy Boy to the bathroom seems to be wearing out faster than normal. So just to reiterate, watch your salt intake (it's in EVERYthing), and your fluid intake, but don't let your anxiety take all of the joy out of life, try to enjoy it as best you can. Aloha :-)

Last edited by Haw'nCarl; 09-29-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
kattatudez0214
(female)

kattatudez0214 HB User

Hi Haw find your post very helpful and informative. I repeat everyday that salt is a demon lol. try very very hard t watch salt and carbs. and yes, my health anxiety is what keeps me from going back to my old ways of eating crap and smoking again. But my health anxiety on the other hand has pretty much convinced me that I have a few years tops to live. Im on bp meds,lasix and entresto and told by many cardio nurses and docs that chf isn't a death sentence anymore, but some things I read about chf isn't very up lifting to say the least. There isn't a day that doesn't go by that I wish I could go back a couple of years and get meds for my bp and diabetes and not have chf looming over my head. thank you for your reply and I hope you keep doing all great things that is keeping you from flare ups (((HUGS)))

Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi kattatudez!

I was first diagnosed with Heart Failure back in January 1987 in the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami. That was the beginning of a real nightmare. I did not really understand what it meant and I had unpleasant reactions to the medications. I found it very difficult to function due to the medications and due to the heart disease. No one told me what to expect.

No one told me about nasty, unpleasant medication side effects. No one told me that my Heart Failure was going to worsen as I aged. No one told me that my metabolism was going to have problems with handling calories and that I could expect to become diabetic.

No one told me that Heart Disease can negatively effect my metabolism, resulting in a dysfunctional metabolism for which common ordinary household items could worsen my heart failure and health.

From 1987 through 2003 my heart failure and health continued to get progressively worse. I was getting weaker. I was having increased breathing problems and could no longer recline. I had to sit up to watch tv or to sleep. My heartbeat was becoming more erratic. My ankles, feet and legs were swelling. I was becoming Diabetic and my blood pressure was getting higher and higher.

My symptoms would worsen when I came into contact with normal everyday household items. I started removing things from my home that were making me sick. I would guess that these increased reactions to normal household items were a byproduct of worsening heart failure and a worsening dysfunctional metabolism. I would also guess that these same health problems relate to other diseases than just Heart Failure.

My health started to improve as I started on a healthier diet, but it wasn't until 2005 when my health really started to get better. I went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance; and I posted about it on HealthBoards, under the title: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? (Link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229. I had no idea, back then, that Heart Failure prevents the body from processing calories and that a heart failure patient MUST limit calories.

Fast forward to today. I am exercising daily, weight lifting and deep knee bends and doing 30 minutes per day power walk. I am able to eat much more than I used to without any effect on my blood sugar. I am able to do very strenuous exercise without any breathing problems. My blood pressure is at a healthy level no matter when I take it, morning, noon or night. I am 73, almost 30 years after initially being diagnosed with Heart Failure.

Just posting to show my own experience and that Heart Failure is not a death sentence and that it does not have get get progressively worse.
⇒ In 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ In 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Old 10-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
kattatudez0214
(female)

kattatudez0214 HB User

Hi Rosiar ty for your reply. A bit confused though. am I correct by thinking your post is saying, that all CHF patients will have to have a heart transplant?

Old 10-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #7
Frescato

Frescato HB User

I heard coq10 can help relieve chf.

Reply Reply