It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Bad heart palpitations

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
Emily30
(female)

Emily30 HB User
Bad heart palpitations

Hi, Iím a 30 year old female and have had heart palpitations since I was in high school. In high school I only got them occasionally when I played sports. Over the course of the last 10 years or so I have gotten them here and there but rarely and nothing enough to scare or worry me. Now all of a sudden I have gotten them bad. Like every day, multiple times a day. I get lots of skips, sometimes big thumping skips where it almost feels like my heart stops for a split second and jumps out of my chest, and sometimes I just get lots of flutters. It doesnít matter what Iím doing. I could be sitting, laying down, working, exercising, literally doing nothing, and it will happen. Iíve seen 2 doctors now, have been through a 48 hour heart monitor, a 30 day heart monitor, have had lab work done, quite a few ekgs, and a heart ultrasound done. Everything is normal. Iím not deficient in anything. My heart rate doesnít go above the normal range and the amount of pvcís I get are not enough to be concerning. Which blows my mind because I get a lot throughout the day. Iíve been told itís just my anxiety which Iíve always had but my anxiety has gotten so much worse due to the palpitations. I am beyond frustrated. I canít live like this. I canít function or get through my day. Iíve had to miss work. Some days I canít help with my kids. Because no matter what I do will set it off. I am now taking 12.5mg of metoprolol and I thought it was helping, my skips were a little more subtle but I could still feel them. I went 5 days without any skipping and now Iím getting more skipping again. Was told to take a full dose which is 25mg and I will have to but I am so tired of dealing with this. I just want it to be gone completely and I want to be able to live my life without having to worry, think about or get distracted by my heart skipping. I know a lot of people that have had the catheter ablation done but because all my tests come back normal I donít think Iíd have a reason to get one done. Sometimes I wish I could just get one because maybe ďzapping the bad circuitĒ would just get rid of the problem. Thereís always risks though with any procedure so that worries me too. Iíve read that it doesnít always work for some people either. But like I said I donít think I would be able to get one done anyway. I feel like Iím stuck and thereís no way out. Does anybody have a similar problem or any suggestions? I have not been referred to a cardiologist yet but Iím hoping to see one in the near future. Maybe they can help me more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Emily30
(female)

Emily30 HB User
Re: Bad heart palpitations

Does anyone know what the next step would be if medicine doesnít work? Considering that my heart is normal and healthy? Am I just screwed and have to live with it?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Thislilpigg33
(female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User

Hello, I also was getting palpitations and did all the testing and all came back normal. Was put on same metoprolol but higher dose. I take 25mg twice a day, and it really seems to be helping. While I have no explanation and dont know why I get them, everything checks out ok, and meds are helping.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Emily30!

Thislilpigg33 takes metoprolol at 25mg twice a day, and it seems to be helping to quiet down her heart. Perhaps it might be good for you to take 25mg as recommended by your doctor. Hopefully it won't tire you too much.

It seems like your heart is frequently if not constantly under some kind of stress causing it to misfire, or skip a beat, or beat suddenly too hard, or double beat, etc. Over time, this cannot be a good thing for one's heart.

If you can't get your heart to fully calm down by taking meds, you might consider what things can cause a heart to misfire that you might be able to avoid. There are many things that can agitate, or over-excite, one's heart, causing the adrenal glands to pour out excessive adrenal hormones that can over-excite one's heart, causing palpitations, anxiety and even cause higher blood pressure.

Do you drink coffee, eat chocolate, drink tea or energy drinks?

Do you have allergies?

Are you overweight? Are you on a healthy, low calorie, low carb diet? Eating more carbs then your body can comfortably handle can cause all kinds of uncomfortable symptoms.

Do you smoke, or are you around people who do smoke?

Do you live near a highway? (Exhaust fumes can cause all kinds of nasty health problems).

Are you exposed to chemicals or things with strong odors?

And, of course, there are many other things and factors.

Just some things to think about...

Regards and best wishes, Bob
⇒2002 BP: 151/96 taken 1,423
⇒2008-2017 BP: 119/69 taken 7,514

Last edited by Machaon; 01-13-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Emily30
(female)

Emily30 HB User

Thank you for sharing. Iím glad to know that it is helping you! I started taking 25mg now once a day. Has only been a couple days so weíll see if it helps me. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Emily30
(female)

Emily30 HB User

I just started taking 25mg 2 days ago. I hope this helps. My fear is that Iíll have to keep going up in dosage because itís going to quit working. I donít know if thatís possible but thatís how my mind works.

I get stressed very easily. I have 2 little girls who are very busy and Iím a hairstylist which is a very nerve racking, stressful job some days. Which brings me to chemicals. Iím around hair color all day long 3 days a week. Do you think that would have anything to do with it? I never had problems in the past. Iíve been doing hair about 10 years.

The fact that the stress is not good for my heart over time really scares me. Iím already on an anxiety med. It definitely helps. But if my heart keeps skipping like it is Iím gonna start thinking that Iím gonna die at a young age. I get these awful thoughts in my head.

Iíve been reading up on pvcs a lot lately on here and I see that some people get thousands a day. Like every other beat all day long they have a skip. I couldnít even imagine. On a bad day I get like 10-20 total. That doesnít even compare. But itís still enough to scare the heck out of me and make me lose my sanity. My anxiety gets bad from it some days. I panic. Some days I just want to lay in bed and sleep so that I donít have to think about it or deal with it.

I used to be a big pop and coffee drinker. I gave it all up. Iíve been off all caffeine for months now. I just drink water or milk now. I have chocolate once in a while. I do have allergies, but I quit taking my allergy med a while ago thinking that may have been doing it. Still getting the skipping so donít think that had anything to do with it. When I drank caffeine, if I drank less than normal one day, I would get skipping so I know caffeine had something to do with it but
like I said Iíve been off of it for months now and the skipping got worse than normal. I am overweight. I eat too many carbs. I will watch my diet more and see if that helps. Iíve been drinking a lot more water. I do not smoke nor am I around it. I donít live near a highway.

Thanks so much for responding. Iím hoping I can get it under control eventually.

Emily

Reply Reply