It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

Heart Attack at 38 years old.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
Al79
(male)

Al79 HB User
Question Heart Attack at 38 years old.

> Had my first (and hopefully last) attack 2/15/2018.
> I'm 38 years old.
> I smoked since I was 22. I quit smoking now as of 2/15/2018.
> I'm losing weight... I've gotten my cholesterol down by over 50%...
> I've made dietary changes (eliminated red meat and processed meats)
> I'm walking daily 30mins-60mins.

In some ways I feel a little better physically than the days and weeks leading up to the attack. I've lost weight, I quit smoking and eating cleaner....

I'm posting because... I'm hoping someone can tell me they've only ever had but the ONE episode and never had another.

I'm terrified .... I'm afraid of another attack... I'm' afraid of a stroke? I'm afraid of the plaque buildup in my arteries which I'm unclear about? I'm unclear on various questions regarding my risk level ... and all this uncertainty gives me more anxiety. I'm consciously trying to keep this ANXIETY AND FEAR under control -- Guided breathing videos, I may join a Yoga group in town...

I smoked a lot for 16 years.... I recently (passed 2 years) wasn't watching what I ate.. My stress was high running 2 businesses and my cholesterol shot up.... Then the attack hit. But, I'm now losing 2lbs a week and my cholesterol is now normal... I'm taking my medications, quit smoking and cleaned up my eating habits.... The second major concern I have is although it's only been 3 weeks since the attack I'm now feeling what might be side effects of the medications: dizzy, loopy, forgetful, tired, panicky... a sensation as if I'm being separated from my body or disconnected from it? -- this lasts for a while every day then calms down. Does this subside? Is it the plavix, the metropolol or the lisonopril?

I'm concerned: I'm young at 38... I'm worried of another attack? Am I doing everything I can to prevent this? -- I'm worried about side-effects of the medications --- the dizziness, the tiredness... etc. I smoked 16 years...and now terrified of all the damage I did. Would appreciate any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Heart Attack at 38 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al79 View Post
... I'm now feeling what might be side effects of the medications: dizzy, loopy, forgetful, tired, panicky... a sensation as if I'm being separated from my body or disconnected from it? -- this lasts for a while every day then calms down. Does this subside? Is it the plavix, the metropolol or the lisonopril? ... I'm worried about side-effects of the medications --- the dizziness, the tiredness... etc. ...
Hi Al79. Sorry about your heart attack and subsequent health issues.

Congratulations on making positive lifestyle changes, especially quitting smoking! Nice going. Tough to do. Took me 8 years to totally get over smoking.

Took me 50 years to get over my bad eating habits!

Welcome to the wonderful world of heart medication side effects! Metoprolol is a beta blocker. Lisinopril is an angiotensin blocker/inhibitor. They both block adrenal hormones. By doing so, they block the adrenal hormones which result in strength and energy, making the patient tired and with lack of energy.

In 1987, I spent 10 days at Mount Sinai Heart Institute in Miami Beach, with heart failure, persistent Atrial Fibrillation and chronically high blood pressure. As of today, at 73, the last time I looked, I was still alive and doing quite well.

Back in March 2010, I posted a thread titled: What I have done to survive Heart Failure & AFib with a high quality of life. at the link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/742271-what-i-have-done-survive-heart-failure-afib-high-quality-life.html You might be interested in browsing thru my posts to see what I did to greatly improve my heart and my health over the past 30 years.

Best of luck and health!
⇒ 6 low cal meals <1500 cals; 2 eggs,4 salads
⇒ 900 weight lifts&600 knee bends daily

Last edited by Machaon; 03-07-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Al79
(male)

Al79 HB User
Re: Heart Attack at 38 years old. Scared.

Thank you for the input. I too was treated at Mt. Sinai in Miami Beach. I live in Midtown Miami across the bridge. They were extremely efficient.

I read through some of your posts -- I see that breaking down your meals into smaller portions helped your health significantly.

I've decided to jampack my meals with vegetables, fruits and wholegrains. I've been doing reading about plant-based diets, mediterranean diets, etc.

Have you or has anyone else out there heard about these diets that claim to reverse plaque build up? Has anyone tried it? They look and seem like very common-sense diets. I've been doing something similar to this.

It eliminates animal products, processed anything... etc. If it had a face or a mother -- don't eat it. Focuses heavily on whole grains, veggies and fruits ... legumes, etc. Over time it's supposed to reduce plaque buildup? This, I believe, goes against the stream medical community's position that once plaque is there, its there to stay ---- Any thoughts? Anyone with experience with these diets? Input?

I'd also like some advice about managing the FEAR and ANXIETY -- I keep reading about people that get 2nd heart attacks within months of their first.. and high percentages like up 1/3 of people don't make it an additional year after their first attack ---- These seem like aggressive stats. ?

Reply Reply