It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• A few intermittent abnormal ekgs over the past few years

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
    teaflower
    (female)

teaflower HB User
    A few intermittent abnormal ekgs over the past few years

Hi all, brand new here. Browsing trying to seek a little comfort because I have not yet been able to see/speak to my doctor about any of this and I'm too scared to talk to my family about it yet, as I am very young (23) and I don't want to freak them out unless something is confirmed to be wrong with my heart. So I guess I just wanted a place to vent and maybe get some encouraging words. Either way, thanks ahead of time for reading.

Since Dec. 2015 (that's as far as my hospital records for EKGs go back, I can't see any past that on my patient portal), I've had about 10 EKGs in the emergency room. They have all been normal aside from three. Each one has been about 2 years apart from the other. Dec. 2015, I had an abnormal EKG: sinus tachycardia, cannot rule out anterior myocardial infarction, age undetermined. And again in April 2017, another "possible anterior myocardial infarction, age undetermined" but this one had a big sticker on it saying STEMI yes - no and it was circled no and a PA signed off on it. And thennnn, two days ago I had another that said cannot rule out anterior myocardial infarction. I mentioned to the doctor that all of these things were REALLY CONCERNING ME, lol, and he said something about Q waves and that I didn't have a heart attack "as far as he could tell." He put in my discharge paperwork that the "EKG and bloodwork are reassuring" and told me to follow up with the cardiologist that I was already going to go see because of my fast resting heart rate. Anyways, as I stated, I've had several EKGs between these abnormal ones that all say they're normal aside from sinus tachycardia. I just really want to know why I keep having one of these every couple years and if it really means I had a heart attack. Apparently, no ED doctor thinks I did. Especially not in 2015 or 2017, they didn't even mention following up with anybody. I didn't even have a Primary Care doctor back then. They didn't seem concerned and never even mentioned to me that these abnormal results came up. Oh, and I was tested for troponin or however you spell it, a few times and it has never been abnormal. I can't think of any time I might've had a heart attack, but I do have panic attacks and maybe I did have one and just thought it was panic? I don't know. I'm going crazy here with anxiety about this. I feel like it wouldn't happen so many times if it were just a fluke or if it were incorrect. But no ED doctor seems concerned. I don't know. I know I'm young for this, but it's possible and I've never had an echo or anything to check out the structure of my heart so maybe I have a defect or something? I'm terrified and just honestly, I am so tired of being terrified all the time.

Thanks for reading the wall of text, if you did happen to get this far. xo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: A few intermittent abnormal ekgs over the past few years

Since your bloodwork is showing normal, that is very reassuring as heart attacks will show certain cardiac enzymes to be elevated. I'd certainly talk with your cardiologist as the ED doc suggested.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #3
    teaflower
    (female)

teaflower HB User
    Re: A few intermittent abnormal ekgs over the past few years

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Since your bloodwork is showing normal, that is very reassuring as heart attacks will show certain cardiac enzymes to be elevated. I'd certainly talk with your cardiologist as the ED doc suggested.
    Thank you! Thatís true. It is definitely reassuring.

I guess Iím just wondering if I had a heart attack more than 4 years ago, would it always show up on me EKGs? Wouldnít I have a permenantly abnormal EKG? Instead of it popping up every now and then. If it were back then, it would make sense that my troponin isnít elevated, but I figured my other EKGs would not have been normal rhythm.

I will follow up with the cardiologist, but I only just got the referral from primary care and I have to fill out a bunch of paperwork because I am uninsured and I have no idea how long itíll take to be able to see one. so I guess just trying to rationalize things a little until then so I donít sit in shambles worrying all of the time. Thank you for responding

Reply Reply

« Heart murmur | - »