It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board

• Cardiology ... an INEXACT Science??? ... (0 -70% blockage??? ... really angry)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
    mark4man
    (male)

mark4man HB User
    Cardiology ... an INEXACT Science??? ... (0 -70% blockage??? ... really angry)

so...

67 YOA...Two heart attack scares (huge pain in chest/shortness of breath) & a trip to the cardiologist. Stress Test...Echocardiogram...blood work. I go back last FRI for my follow up...doc sez, 'congratulations, you're heart is healthy...all your tests came back normal'. I sez, 'thanx doc...so what exactly is my level of blockage?' Doc sez, 'theoretically...zero to 70%, because anything less that 60 - 70% doesn't even show up on a stress test'.

I am really angry at these *hugely inconclusive* results. For months now I have been eating nothing but fruits, vegetables, whole grains & lean meats; & have literally lost 55 lbs. I plan on sticking w/ this regimen...but what?...I now have to walk around for the rest of my life paranoid over having a major heart attack...???...which can occur at even 25% blockage...???...never knowing exactly how much blockage I actually have...??? I was so flaberghasted that I didn't even bother to ask him if there is a test that can measure exact blockage (although, I am assuming it would be something to do w/ running a video camera on a tube up into the heart, or some such invasive nonsense).

anyone else experience this sort of thing?

thanx,

mark4man

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Cardiology ... an INEXACT Science??? ... (0 -70% blockage??? ... really angry)

I know it's frustrating but I'm glad to hear you intend to stick with your diet. Exercise is very important too but overdoing it can be as bad as not exercising. So don't exercise to the point where you get stressed. Going for a brisk walk is good exercise.

Eating lean meat is fine but not overly large portions. Three to four ounces, once per day, should be enough. Then if you think you need more protein you can use beans or lentils in other meals as a substitute. Beans are great for the nutrition and fiber and are good for your arteries. Your diet should consist of mostly of vegetables and perhaps 3 or 4 servings of fresh fruit. Also, both legumes and whole grains are good for your arteries.

Don't panic over the estimate of 70%. I recently read some information written by a cardiologist and he said 80% clogged is safer than 50% because by the time it gets to 80%, the plaque is more stable. At 50% it's more likely to erupt and cause a heart attack or stroke.

So it's best to not let yourself get stressed over this. Stay calm and keep eating your healthy diet. I had a friend with an aorta that was 80% clogged. He changed to a healthy diet and made a tremendous improvement so he didn't need to get a bypass operation.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Cardiology ... an INEXACT Science??? ... (0 -70% blockage??? ... really angry)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark4man View Post
    ... I didn't even bother to ask him if there is a test that can measure exact blockage ...
    You could look into having a heart scan, aka a coronary calcium scan. They do a CT scan to check for calcium buildup in plaque on the walls of the coronary arteries.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Why spend your life worrying about "what if"? Do what you need to do (and sounds like you are already doing) to maintain a healthy lifestyle and heart.

Exercise, eating properly and getting enough rest are the primary things any cardiologist will tell you to avoid heart issues.

Worrying about it can cause stress on your heart which is unhealthy.

Continue doing what you are doing and congratulations on the weight loss- this is also huge for avoiding heart issues as carrying around an extra 50 lbs was definitely unhealthy and can lead to heart issues.

Reply Reply